FORUMS: list search recent posts

mounting XDCAM onto a Glidecam 4000

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steven fischer
mounting XDCAM onto a Glidecam 4000
on Mar 23, 2009 at 5:45:17 pm

Having trouble successfully using a Sony PMW EX1 on a Glidecam 4000. Has anyone been successful mounting this camera on this steadicam? What's the trick?

Steven

Return to posts index

Thomas Vecsei
Re: mounting XDCAM onto a Glidecam 4000
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:23:25 pm

Hi Steven,

I'm working with a Glidecam 4000 Pro and the EX1. And let me tell you - it works fine!

What is your problem? I've put some photos on my website so you can see how I did it, perhaps this can help you.

I first started with directly mounting the EX1 to the head plate, but got tired of balancing each time I changed from tripod to glidecam. I now use a Manfrotto QR and the good thing about it: It is balanced within few seconds. Once properly balanced you don't have to use the 8 brass thumbscrews - unless you change you configuration, e.g. the type of your battery pack.

As you can see I've decided to add one of the additional supported plates between the baseplate and the QR to get more weight and thus more stability. With a BP-U30 battery pack attached to the EX1 I get the system balanced with 10 of the supported counter weight disks (2 times 5).

When mounting the QR-Plate to the EX1 I put a double-sided adhesive tape inbetween because without it the EX1 rotated sometimes around the mounting screw. Just a few millimeters, but enough to be out of balance. With the tape the EX stays there and you don't have to tighten the screw to hard, thus no danger of overtightening it.

Tom

Thomas Vecsei
info@eventfilm.at
http://www.eventfilm.at

Return to posts index

william primrose
Re: mounting XDCAM onto a Glidecam 4000
on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:45:00 am

the thing with any glidecam or steadycam is that it takes a lot of practice to get it right, even mounting the camera and balancing it all. I have been using the glidecam X10 with a pro 4000 and EX-3 Sony camera. it took a while to get the feel for it. The adhesive tape is something I use as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]