FORUMS: list search recent posts

New EX3s shipping with tripod mounting

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
New EX3s shipping with tripod mounting
on Mar 19, 2009 at 9:39:57 pm

Apparently, Sony are now shipping EX3's with a little gizmo to attach under the camera to make it attach to tripods or baseplate adaptors more securely. They are doing this to address a design fault which manifests itself during normal use of the camera on a tripod, but in particular when tilting. Apparently the attachment screw rips right out of the bottom of the camera - ouch!

I'm aware Sony have given some suppliers this gizmo to give away to their customers who bought the EX3s without said gizmo. Which is good for Sony because it's an acknowledgement that there is an issue.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Has anyone had this problem? Has anyone seen this gizmo and know a part/model #?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: New EX3s shipping with tripod mounting
on Mar 20, 2009 at 10:33:51 am

Great news! I haven't heard about it, but will investigate. I've now been through FOUR sets of EX3 base plate thingies & that's even while using a Zacuto base plate system. The only thing holding it all together was the matte box!!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
Re: New EX3s shipping with tripod mounting(update)
on Mar 24, 2009 at 1:39:26 am

Hi Chris, my supplier has informed me that sony is going to send a 'modification kit' for me - free of charge. Great news.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Mar 24, 2009 at 3:02:59 am

So are they available to everyone how owns an EX-3?

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCP 6.0.4 OS X 10.5.5 QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:03:31 am

i'm not sure that it's official that sony will do this. but as it's a sony design fault you'd hope Sony would want to be seen to do the right thing by it's customers. although I'm also pretty sure they're not going to be singing it from the rafters either.

keep in mind the EX3's are now shipping with them - so it's clearly an issue. but for now I'd suggest just going back to your supplier and see what happens.

Chris are you able to post a picture of the problem?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Mar 24, 2009 at 11:14:35 am

Paul,

Can't post pic of broken EX3 mount as I've thrown them away sorry. I'm sure I'll break another before receiving my modified version though, I'll keep it & reveal all!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
Re: New EX3s shipping with tripod mounting
on Mar 26, 2009 at 7:37:20 pm

Hello,

I would like to post a clarification regarding a rumor of “replacement part packs for the EX3 tripod plate mount”… The EX3 design team received user feedback requesting the EX3 stability be improved with certain tripod plates and rail systems. To that effect, two changes were implemented:

•The contact surface was elongated by adding a wedge to the front bottom.
•The threaded plate has now two 1/4-20 threaded holes for greater torque stability with tripod plates and rail systems that allow two screws instead of just one.

These optional parts are included in current production EX3 as a user installable kit, and will be available to existing customers through Sony Parts for a small shipping and handling fee. Please check the Ex webpage http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/ where an announcement with directions for acquiring the kit will be posted in about two weeks.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]