FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p50 to SD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Lam
720p50 to SD
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:38:45 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first off, i would like to thank everyone in this forum as I have learnt alot through the many professionals here!

My department has recently bought 2 EX3s and we are currently shooting on 720p50. We are using FCP 6.0.5 and what we normally do is, export from timeline to Compressor with frame control on with DV Settings, however there are many jaggy lines during pans and tilts and several broadcasters are complaining about it. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me a proper or successful way to convert HD to SD with little or no jaggy lines or twitter.

We are using AJA LHE with Breakout Box. Is down converting thru AJA a better option? Thank guys!

Perry Lam

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: 720p50 to SD
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:10:11 pm

Hi Perry,

Welcome to Creative COW.

You may want to read the posts at the provided link below. There is a lot of good information concerning the current trends in HD to SD conversion.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/863059

Some of the more important considerations to be gleaned from recent workflows when SD is the final output:

• Turn the camera's edge detail way down before shooting.
  • Don't use the DV codec for your down conversion. Use Pro Res instead or similar high end codec.
  • Within FCP use the motion blur filter with a sample setting of 1 as well as a bit of the flicker filter.

Since you already have an AJA capture card this is probably the best advice:

"Re: Aliasing/twittering EX1
by Will Griffith on Feb 28, 2009 at 9:16:48 pm

For me FCP has always been a horrible converter.

The only way we could fix HDV conversions for BetaSP
was to use a Kona and its hardware downconvert.

Right now I don't even bother with FCP or Compressor's
conversions and just use the IOHD with the EX3.
It also saves on rendering."

- Don

Return to posts index

Perry Lam
on Mar 20, 2009 at 1:03:22 am

Thanks alot Don! Will try it out as soon as i can! By the way, when you say turn down the edge detail, do you mean just the level selection under detail sub menu? Cause i cant find edge detail anywhere. Thanks again!

Perry Lam

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 20, 2009 at 5:24:24 am

[Perry Lam] "By the way, when you say turn down the edge detail, do you mean just the level selection under detail sub menu?"

That's correct. Choose your picture profile and edit the detail settings, both the level and the frequency parameters. The detail setting in the picture profile affects edge detail. There's always so much dialed in from the factory to the point that it's quite excessive. Do some tests and compare the differences and you'll see what I mean.

For more info on settings and shooting tips go here:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/tips.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]