FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Question on EX3/EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Maples
Quick Question on EX3/EX1
on Mar 17, 2009 at 1:03:35 am

I've googled this like crazy and can't find a definitive answer. Will the EX1/EX3 shoot in a standard def format? Specifically DVCAM or DV?

Thanks in Advance,
RC

--
Doobie Doobie Doo
beware the penguins

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Quick Question on EX3/EX1
on Mar 17, 2009 at 1:39:32 am

[Rob Maples] "Will the EX1/EX3 shoot in a standard def format? "
No. You can downconvert to 10 bit Uncompressed standard out of the SDI. For many people it makes more sense to shoot HD and then edit SD, giving you room to reposition shots or create camera motion where it didn't exist. Keep in mind most of us shooting HD are still delivering SD on many projects. Easier to go from HD to SD then the other way around.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Garland
on Mar 17, 2009 at 11:37:08 am

I haven't tried this, but this may be helpful. It's a step by step approach for outputting SD from EX-1:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/ex1_sd_output_young.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:11:46 pm

I would NEVER output to Standard Def DV. It's heavily compressed. Output to 8 Bit Uncompressed and you'll have DigiBeta quality.

Return to posts index

Rob Maples
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:56:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I was asking is b/c I have a client coming up who's edit house works primarily with DVCAM. I was contemplating using an EX1/EX3 to shoot with, but I would need to be able to output to SD DVCam quickly afterwords. Trying to figure out what the best workflow would be in this situation. My reasoning for choosing the EX1/3 is due to another potential client that is always looking for and EX3 shooter.

--
Doobie Doobie Doo
beware the penguins

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2009 at 3:02:36 pm

[Rob Maples] "The reason I was asking is b/c I have a client coming up who's edit house works primarily with DVCAM."

If they have a decent NLE, you can hand them an 8 bit Uncompressed file on disk (drive, etc) and they should be impressed. If all they can handle is DVCAM tape... I have to wonder how much longer they'll stay in business. Time for you to jump in and become the "edit house."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]