FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 & FCP workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Garland
EX-3 & FCP workflow
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:58:34 pm

Can I edit in FCP ProRes timeline with footage that's not transcoded (i,e, MPEG2) and then transcode final program to ProRes to avoid transcoding all my footage? If so what are the limitations?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX-3 & FCP workflow
on Mar 16, 2009 at 10:52:28 pm

Your question doesn't make sense to me.
If you want to end in ApplePro Res you're going to have to transcode at some point.
Easiest might be edit in EX native setting renders to ProRes for fast editing. Then change the sequence codec to ProRes and render the whole thing when you're ready for output.

Of course before suggesting a solution I'd like to know what's the problem?
Why not edit EX native, set renders to ProRes for fast editing? Then export as EX, which is what I do.

Do you have a reason to want the final output as ProRes?

Return to posts index

Jimmy Garland
on Mar 16, 2009 at 11:12:37 pm

I think you may have already answered the question. I'm trying to determine best workflow from EX-3 without having to transcode all my original files to ProRes. Seeking the balance of time/not having to stop to render basic effects while editing/maintaining highest quality for final product. Any input is greatly appreciated.

No reason to output as ProRes except my understanding that this produces best image. How does that compare to EX export?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 16, 2009 at 11:39:09 pm

Keep sequence native using EX easy setup. Set Sequence Render to Apple Pro Res.
This will allow fast editing and rendering without GOP conform.
Transcoding to another codec can't make something look better. When you're done editing simply use export using Quicktime with the current settings as you would any other sequence.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Garland
on Mar 17, 2009 at 11:28:34 am

Thanks for the helpful input. As I am considering buying the EX-3 I can't do any test runs. This is really the big question: I have been working in SD for years mostly industrials/docs less than 10 mins. long and am concerned about the editing with MPEG-2 files being a time-consuming, painful process. Is this something I can adapt to and live happily with? Any other thoughts on the camera much appreciated. How big an issue is rolling shutter?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:09:52 pm

Disc with media you can test yourself.
http://www.vortexmedia.com/SXS1.html

FCP edit native codec and set renders to ProRes and there's no long GOP confirm during editing. Works almost like DV on my 8 Core Mac.

Buy the above disk and try yourself if you still have doubts.

Return to posts index

Anna Vacci
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:07:32 pm

Hi,

I have found your posts to be extremely helpful. I am preparing an edit bay to work with files captured on the Sony Ex3. I plan to have a back up RAID and a working RAID for the files. Ideally, it would be great to not have to run the files through compressor every time I import them off the 32 GB cards.

Does this post w/ screen shot of settings (thanks!) mean that you do not have to actually run every single file through compressor? Can you just import the raw files as they are and set the render to Apple ProRes 422? If this is the case then I will be saving hours and hours of time.

This tapeless workflow is very new to me so any other suggestions that you might have about organizing files and setting up would be great. If you can suggest a link to a site with a step by step guide to working with the files that would be helpful as well.

Thanks again,
Ané

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:39:48 pm

[Ane Vecchione] "it would be great to not have to run the files through compressor every time I import them off the 32 GB cards. "

??? Were are you getting your workflow information from. There's no need to run anything through Compressor or otherwise re-encode files. Sony XDCAM Transfer wraps them to MOV and it's blazing fast as it's just a re-wrap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]