FORUMS: list search recent posts

Direct Menu Operations on EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dieter Kaupp
Direct Menu Operations on EX1
on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:45:55 pm

Have just discovered the 'Direct Menu Operations' will not function whenever a warning appears on the screen, such as 'battery low' or 'card file nearly full'.

Can't find anything in the manual stating this is normal.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else noticed this?

If this is normal it sure is a frustrating feature!

Please advise if anyone has some......thanks!

Return to posts index

Denis Devlin
Re: Direct Menu Operations on EX1
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:46:32 pm

I had the same experience - direct menu stopped working after low battery and/or mem card full warnings.

This threw me into somewhat of a panic since I was getting ready to film a concert. I believe that I ended up in a state where the warning messages were gone but the direct menu was still un-responsive even after powering off and back on (with direct power, not the battery this time). I then did various things like erase some files on the SxS card and reset all camera settings to the default. This got me back to a working state - but I am not sure exactly which step did the trick (as I said, I was in somewhat of a panic with time running out).

The moral of the story for me: don't let the battery get too low especially if your mem cards are full. I did not have a chance to investigate more precisely how to get into and out of this state. BTW, the firmware version for my EX1 is fairly old, 1.03 I believe.

Return to posts index

Dieter Kaupp
on Mar 17, 2009 at 2:53:28 am

Hi Denis,

Thank you first of all for taking a moment to comment.

I'm surprised more people haven't made a comment on this issue. Maybe not too many are using the 'Direct Menu Operations' function with the toggle wheel.

I personally use it all the time. It makes using various functions so much easier to access without having to go into ones menu settings. Just using the toggle wheel to go from one setting to another for about 5 or 6 often used settings is a great tool. However, when this tool is not functional if an alert window appears, i.e.: battery low or card near full, this causes problems and frustration. When the battery low indicator shows, one still has about 5 minutes left of shooting. Same with a card near full alert window. That's a long time left to shoot and without the direct operation function, it's a problem, especially if you need to quickly change the color temperature or raise the light level in a low light situation. I guess one could put the camera to fully automatic, but that can cause problems too.

The new firmware recently released doesn't address this issue, at least not what I have read. Hopefully Sony will address this issue, but without too many complaints, I would guess not.

If anyone else has more knowledge of this matter, please make a post.

Return to posts index

gabriel bendahan
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:24:36 pm

In the last eyelash of the menu there is an article called Direct menu.
If this seteado in (all) some functions since shutter wb gain remain deactivated.
It is necessary to leave it in off there everything returns to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]