FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 edit system questions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
EX-3 edit system questions
on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:49:25 pm

I'm close to buying an EX-3. I've been shooting for many years but will take on an editing project soon. I've done some cutting on Premiere.
I'll want to set up an entire new system for my editing. I don't do animation/effects/graphics, so I don't think I need CS4.

I'm considering Edius and Vegas. I want the easiest system to use, I'm not a computer geek. So a complicated user interface is not a good idea for me. The editing I will be doing is fairly straight forward.

also, I'd like any suggestions on archiving. That is totally foreign to me. What will it take? Buy a couple of hard drives and plug/n/play??? I suspect it will be a bit more complex than that.

Last, suggestions for laptop machine capabilities? How much power do I need? I'll dedicate this PC just to the edit system.

Anything I'm missing? Feel free to plug in more stuff.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX-3 edit system questions
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:41:30 pm

It sounds like you are a PC person and if these two NLE choices don't work out you could try CS4. I choose Apple 5 years ago because there were two choices then with Final Cut and Avid that I thought were the best at the time. Before this I sold my first show by editing the demo on a PC using Premeire, this PC was new at the time and it was plenty for straight cuts and light effects for a DV project.

My point here is that I did purchase both software and I found Final Cut much easier than Avid. Finding what works for you is a personal choice, and if you are going to be sitting in front of this edit system on a regular schedule you will need something you like that allows you to create.

If I was a PC person I would try Sony Vegas, its cheap and I have read how others like it. The other choices you have named are also good, I have not used Edius and I just purchased CS4 (for Mac) but haven't really opened Premiere Pro yet.

For the hardware, get as many Intel cores as you can, load as much ram as you can, make sure you have a few extra PCI-e slots for a capture card, a raid card or two and call my friend Syed over at http://www.maxupgrades.com for his recommendations for storage. He will set you up with the right High Point raid card and build you a raid enclosure for what ever system you purchase, and he will also give you personal over the phone support. Syed is all about making it fast and affordable. He has provided me and my production company with several raid systems and (knock on wood) they are all in perfect running order. As for a capture card I like my AJA Kona (Xena for PC) but you may only require a Intensity Pro from Black Magic.

As far as a field laptop goes I love my Intel MBP 17", which by the way can run all these Windows programs. Just make sure you get the new PCI express slot.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:45:34 pm

If I am only using Ex-3 footage with the camera cards, do I need any of the capture cards? I'll make sure I have all the right slots in the laptop for the cards. I'll be using both the SxS and SxR SDHC cards.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:48:52 pm

Well, if you want to see what the footage looks like then yes. Capture cards are both a capture interface and a monitoring interface.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54:40 pm

So I don't really need a "capture" card, I need a card to connect an external monitor, a "monitor" card?

Just different names?

Are there no laptops with good connectors for monitors, like perhaps HDMI?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:01:00 pm

NO, a capture card is how you will monitor as well as capture should you need to. You are asking about a system that supports a professional camera and codec, so I have given you an overview of the hardware you would want for a professional edit system.

What I didn't include is a monitor, and there are choices for broadcast quality using HD-SDI or component, or non broadcast quality using HDMI or component. These cards vary in price as to what level you need. I would search the companies I have named and see what fits for you.

There is another device on the market that you should also research for monitoring, the Matrox MX0-2 that also allows you to use an external monitor with your laptop and also works in the office with the edit system.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:12:06 pm

Sorry to throw a spanner into this exchange of posts but to my simple mind by far the easiest (and to many the best) editing system is Media 100. I was a film editor and found the transition fairly easy whereas Final Cut has a steeper learning curve. Media 100 will do all you require, now handles HD, HDV, XDCAM as well as, of course, DV. Now owned by Boris, their development team have been revived after a nasty experience with bad owners for a while, and they are innovating all the time. Take a look!
I'm not connected in any way by the way, being 3000 miles from their base!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Eric Addison
on Mar 13, 2009 at 5:20:11 am

I edit with Premiere Pro CS4, and the support for the EX cameras is very good. I did a location shoot with the EX1 and had my laptop with me. I was able to dump the cards out in the field, and was able to check the footage by playing right from the cards in PPro. With no transcoding required you can start editing as soon as the footage copies over to your hard drive.

I would recommend that what ever edit system you go with, like Michael mentioned, get the most power you can afford.

As for viewing your footage, I haven't tried this with the EX cameras, but PPro CS4 will push out an HD downconverted to SD signal out through firewire, so you could try going firewire out to the camera and then video out to an SD monitor. Otherwise, for an HD signal you could look at Blackmagic's Intensity Pro - it's a low cost way to view HD footage on an HD monitor.

If your going to be doing the bulk of your shooting with the EX3, a fully loaded capture card may be overkill unless you'll need it to roll out to tape.

---Eric

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Mar 13, 2009 at 9:54:27 am

For viewing footage...if the laptop has an HDMI out and the monitor has an HDMI in, why do I need a black box of any kind? Can't I just feed the monitor directly via HDMI?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 13, 2009 at 1:43:10 pm

Ed,
You don't need to ever have a dedicated monitor to edit, it is just the professional way to work. Please take some time and research what these products do so you can decide on the level you want.

HDMI is not a professional interface, and if you find such a laptop that has one then you still need to test it to see if you can control this port from the NLE.

Blackmagic is a video interface company, http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

AJA is another, http://www.aja.com/html/products_windows_xena.html

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]