FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC not recognizing Apple XDCAM EX clips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh John Murray
PC not recognizing Apple XDCAM EX clips
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:03:47 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but my CGI guy - who works by remote - cannot get his PC to recognize my XDCAM EX 108024p clips from my MAC. They're just black frames. I sent him the link to the driver, and he said it installed fine - are we missing something?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PC not recognizing Apple XDCAM EX clips
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:47:55 pm

[Hugh John Murray] "XDCAM EX 108024p clips from my MAC"

In what wrapper state did they leave your Mac. Where they .mov?
They may need this
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

You could have given them the BPAV folders if you're dealing with camera masters. If it's an edit master, Final Cut Pro can save the file using the MP4 extension and they could create a new BPAV folder in ClipBrowser on Windows and/or export as MXF for NLE.

Return to posts index

Hugh John Murray
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:55:51 pm

Hi Craig - thanks for the note. Yes, they are .movs - this is my first time working with these kinds of files, and so - ostensibly, this is more for me - the mp4s are not recognizable by FCP so the XD CAM program converts them into movs.

And those movs are the edit masters. So a PC could read an MP4? I would just export the clip as MP4 (using quicktime conversion)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34:08 pm

A little bit of friendly correction here, Hugh:

"the mp4s are not recognizable by FCP so the XD CAM program converts them into movs."

It exports them to Quicktime for editing in FCP, but it also makes MXF files for software using them. Don't think of it as a "convert" as much as an "export." I'll explain below.

"And those movs are the edit masters. So a PC could read an MP4? I would just export the clip as MP4 (using quicktime conversion)?"

Those movs are not the edit masters! The edit master is the BPAV folder. Not the MP4 files in it; the whole folder. Digging around in that folder and picking the MP4s causes nothing but problems (as you're finding out). If you export to Quicktime and toss the original files, you're forfeiting the flexibility this system provides.

Stick with the Sony software--it translates the BPAV folder into clips with metadata and will export clips and subclips in the format you need. The BPAV folder is your camera master. From that master you can export MOVs today, MXFs tomorrow. It's a really sweet setup, really.

Cf

Return to posts index

Hugh John Murray
on Mar 18, 2009 at 1:33:22 am

Hi Clint - so my PC CGI guy, using the calibrated software decoder, can see and use my movs (test one of same clip - exported using current settings, no recompressing, self-contained), but not the MXF file (test 2) I exported using the SONY XDCAM option in FCP export.

Am I correct in assuming that the MXF file is better quality than the Mov export? Does exporting using quicktime current setting lose any quality? Before this worked (the calibrated software decoder) I was thinking I could export tiff image seq. for truly lossless sequences for him to work with - but the files are huge. Is the QT current settings lossy compared to MXF the way to go? And is there any reason why he shouldn't recognize MXFs? (He's using AE...)

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Best

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:01:29 am

[Hugh John Murray] " but not the MXF file (test 2)"
Which may require this which is different than the one that handles EX .mov
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Win.asp

[Hugh John Murray] "Am I correct in assuming that the MXF file is better quality than the Mov export?"
Not correct if exported from FCP and the source was XDCAM EX. FCP would convert to XDCAM HD which is 1440x1080, not 1920x1080 so it's not just a rewrap. XDCAM EX .mp4 to MXF in ClipBrowser is a rewrap and remains 1920x1080 as I understand it.

[Hugh John Murray] " Does exporting using quicktime current setting lose any quality?"
No.

[Hugh John Murray] "Before this worked (the calibrated software decoder) I was thinking I could export tiff image seq. for truly lossless sequences for him to work with - but the files are huge."

You can not improve on a native codec. You could export as Animation. That'll give you a huge file too but it won't be any better than using native EX. It would give you all I-Frame for ease of use but at the cost of the large file. You could also use 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed. None of this improves the video, only ease of use if I-Frame is easier than long GOP.

[Hugh John Murray] "Is the QT current settings lossy compared to MXF the way to go?" MOV and MXF are wrappers. What you need to avoid is recompression. Rewrap is OK. FCP doesn't export XDCAM EX as MXF and going to XDCAM HD MXF impacts pixel aspect ratio at the very least. Stick with current settings and you'll have no further loss.

[Hugh John Murray] "And is there any reason why he shouldn't recognize MXFs? (He's using AE...) "

Because he doesn't have the codec installed. If you handed him XDCAM HD MXF you've now given him a different codec than XDCAM EX MOV. MXF is a wrapper and not a codec. XDCAM HD is not XDCAM EX.

Return to posts index

Hugh John Murray
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:27:03 am

Aye, I found that calibrated importer right after I posted. But...I think I'll just export using current settings and live with that, unless my guy wants uncompressed.

Thanks for the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]