FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading the EX-3 Fujinon Lens

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McCauley
Upgrading the EX-3 Fujinon Lens
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:06:47 pm

I've finished a number of multi camera projects using 1 Ex-3 and 1 PDW-F330 XDCAM. In post I can see a slight softening of the image in the Ex-3 compared to the 330. My suspicion is that the lose of image quality in due to the differences in lenses. I'm thinking about upgrading the EX-3 to a Cannon KT-20 that is compatible with the EX-3. Has anyone out here upgraded their EX-3 lens and was it worth it?

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
Re: Upgrading the EX-3 Fujinon Lens
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:53:59 pm

Isn't the KT series a 1/3" lens? The EX3 has a 1/2" chip. The F330 also has a 1/2" chip. You should see if the same lens works on both cameras.

If it's a lens issue, having the same on both cameras should go a long way towards addressing that.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Mar 11, 2009 at 7:05:31 pm

I talked with the owner of the 330 and he said his lens was a Fuji 17... No more specifics at this time but were doing a shoot again this weekend where the 330 and EX-3 are involved. We will not have any high res monitors involved to analyze a side by side comparison but with can make files for analysis later. I am wanting to set up 2 EX-3's side by side with the Fujicon and Cannon KT-20 and a high def monitor and compare later today or Thursday. Interestingly, wouldn't a 1/3 " lens on a 1/2" chip lower the range of focus on DoF?

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Mar 11, 2009 at 8:06:10 pm

Also, a 1/3" lens on a 1/2" chip wont really work.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:19:40 pm

You're right. Called the rep while I had the gear out and he said "My bad what you need is a KT19 x6.7 KAS. More later on this excursion. But still has anyone upgrade their Fujicon? and with what?

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:01:08 pm

There are a few folks who have used 2/3 inch glass(need adapter) with great results.
Just do a search for it on here and other sites.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:38:22 am

William, wondering if you might have any testing updates for us? Definitely curious as to the experience of using alternate lenses with this camera. Thanks.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Mar 16, 2009 at 10:01:27 pm

I was able to use the Cannon KT19 x6.7 KAS lens with the EX-3 this past weekend in a operational not test situation. Know and agreed to by the client. First, it appears that adjusting the flange focal length is really just like the Fujicon, so much so in a couple of lens swaps I'm not sure i needed to run the adjustment. (Ah but trust me I always will...) Just seemed right on the money after simply changing the lens. In the field we had a lot of follow-the-action and Where's-Waldo-spontaneous actions that would make an editor shiver... Doing the best one can in that situation, i noticed after many reframings of a shot that the servo zoom was WAY better than the Fujicon. Now, my reason for testing has been a type of image softness that I would like to improve on. I have laid down to bytes the same shot both with the Fujicon and the Cannon lenses. I also from this past shoot will have a segment shot only from slightly different angles of the same action with a PDW335/ Fuji 17 lens and the EX-3 /Cannon. The initial results with switching lenses is hopeful. The later test with the PDW 335 is not available for analysis quite yet.

Return to posts index

Bob Wojda
on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:20:03 pm

I've just gone through this whole line of thinking too and ended up upgrading to the Fujinon 17x5.5BERM for several reasons. First, and most important, the image is better. In my testing you could clearly see the difference (although I think the stock lens is still pretty good). The major difference for me was the zoom which, on the stock, was positioned poorly for my use,was extremely jerky when using it at a slow rate (horrible design flaw I think) also the manual iris button is not on the stock and I really missed it. The Fuji is great and real broadcast lens (with the cost to prove it) but my thinking is the lens is the most important component and can be used on other cameras in the future. Matched up with this camera you've got a real powerhouse for a great price.

After getting the lens and being so impressed with the picture, the new set up caused another significant problem. The balance of the camera was awful. You really couldn't hold it without your wrist suffering extreme pain after a while. Eventually I got rid of the stock viewfinder attachment and made my own from a hoodman viewer which enabled me to get the camera on my shoulder and the lens closer to me. It's MUCH more comfortable and works perfectly. Now I have a great camera with a great lens that I can really use hand held. (Now a wide angle lens would be nice and Hard disk for recording 4:4:4 might be next)

Bob

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:23:55 pm

Question? In what way is the image better? Can you tell me the specifics of what you shot to see a difference? I'm having a hard time coming up with a quantifiable test to see differences in lenses.
TIA

Return to posts index

Etienne Neser
on Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44:34 pm

I agree on the poor design of the EX lens"zoom". I would love to see a picture of your rig with the new lens and viewfinder. Can you please send me a picture. Would love to do the same. waysouth@mtnloaded.co.za

Return to posts index

Bob Wojda
on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:42:16 pm

Etienne,
I am much happier with the fujinon BERM lens. The zoom is much better than stock and the picture is great. The worst part is that it throws the balance of the camera way off. I added a weight to the back (3lbs) and shoulder plate to the bottom of the camera to help correct for it. But I still use the stock lens for my steadicam and for the Letus 35. This is a very versatile setup for the money.

Bob

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:10:48 pm

Yes, I can vouch for the Fujinon XS17X5.5BRM. I had similar problems with the notchy zoom on the stock lens and it was becoming a real issue. I swapped to this lens last August and have not looked back. The picture, to my eye, is noticably sharper, and seems to have more depth. Also, I can follow zoom / creep zoom reliably. I have also found focusing a lot easier and more precise. Yes, it does throw the balance a bit, but if you are mainly on a tripod, it's not a problem. It did add another £5k to the cost of the camera, but in my opinion it has certainly been worth it. I feel that it put the EX3 onto another level

Martin

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:31:54 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a long mount adapter for sony pmw f3 camera. Actually I want to use ex3's lens with f3 camera. I don't have that much money to buy an expensive lens.

Please help me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]