FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting in the desert with EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohamed El Hassen
shooting in the desert with EX3
on Mar 10, 2009 at 11:44:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning on filming a TV commercial with the EX3 in the Saharian Desert (my first with the EX3)
The shoot will be outdoors with a Camel Caravan surrounded be light orange (Yellowish) dunes.
We'll be shooting in the morning and afternoon
1/ I would like some advice regarding the filters (eg tiffen FX...) I could use with the EX3 to get the best quality (can't afford to buy a new lens).
2/ What would be the best frame rate for PAL
3/ Is it possible to capture "10BITS HD from the SDI out" with the DECKLINK MULTIBRIDGE ECLIPSE and a 2xG-SPEED es RAID 0

Faithfully

Mohamed.

DG
Iris Xmedia

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shooting in the desert with EX3
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:23:41 am

1- Take lots of NDs and Polarizers. I wouldn't mess with color filters. And lots of bags and dust off to keep sand out of the camera.

2- 25p or 50i- not much else to it. Unless you have an NTSC model- in which case 24p is easily pulled up to 25p.

3- Um yeah but unless you're doing that live as you shoot there would be no image quality benefit over the built-in codec. Once you record to XDCAM EX the damage is done. That said it's a great codec and most people on a decent monitor would be fine with it.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Mar 11, 2009 at 12:08:00 pm

Graduated ND filters are great to have as well.

I also use Tiffen graduated sunset filters for great effect. There are also a lot of other Blue to clear etc graduated filters available. Cavision makes really good value matteboxes, but use Tiffen or better filters.

A mattebox and 4x4 or 4x6 filters work best, the mattebox also really helps to keep sun off lens when sun is low. You can really tune graduated filters up/down L/R and angle them.

I really love to play with a mattebox and a set of graduated filters around sunset/sunrise. It is easy to overdo it though. Some of those effects can be done in post as well, you can build your own graduated filters in PSD and change them over time even.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:48:24 pm

[Noah Kadner] "2- 25p or 50i- not much else to it. Unless you have an NTSC model- in which case 24p is easily pulled up to 25p. "

With EX all models shoot all frame rates. They may default to NTSC or PAL area but it's just a simple menu change.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:18:09 pm

well there ya go- problem solved.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]