FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reliable link to EX1 firmware update??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Reliable link to EX1 firmware update??
on Mar 7, 2009 at 4:22:09 pm

Anybody have a reliable (trusted) link to the EX1 firmware update?

Thx.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Reliable link to EX1 firmware update??
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:37:11 pm

I was under the impression that was not user-upgradeable. At least not without voiding your warranty. Sony does this for free- just depends where in the world you are to send it in.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:56:17 pm

Sony charges $100 for a "feature" firmware upgrade such as 1.11 (enables USB Expresscard for their hard drive and SDHC adaptors). Maintenance upgrades are free.

They are non user upgrades although many users have found the firmware and used it. I've have heard no bad stories (maybe because only people secure in their geekdom try).

The firmware was briefly (accidentally?) made available on a Korean Sony site and that was the initial point of spread. It was quickly pulled.

Even third party Authorized Sony Pro Service Centers aren't permitted to do this. To the best of my knowledge only Sony in Park Ridge or San Jose can do the upgrades. Even they make mistakes as I had to have mine done twice. I think the reason Sony tightly restricts distribution is because the firmware can be hacked to add additional features.

There are people who have copies of the firmware which likely originated from the Korean site.

I've heard stories of people who have done the firmware upgrade themselves and later needed to have the camera serviced under warranty for unrelated reasons. I don't think they were spanked or otherwise punished. I'm under the impression that Sony somehow noted that there was no service record of the upgrade being performed on their part but again, no punishment I know of.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 7, 2009 at 6:56:35 pm

I would say it is worth the $100 fee if you are not comfortable with the process that could cripple you're only camera.

After talking with Ian Cook (New Jersey Sony main office) he told me that more of the Sony service centers have been trained to work on the EX series cameras.

If you read deep into past threads you could find who has this software. I found it on another forum and it worked well for me. I first needed to find a reliable PC and once I did it only took about a half hour to figure it out.

I finally took my EX1 in for the battery drain issue to the Los Angeles service center and they didn't notice the new firmware. They are also replacing the back panel as the early units had the silk screen menu labels that rubbed off.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 8, 2009 at 2:54:49 am

there is even a video in YouTube that shows how to do it.
But my self recommends too having the job done by SONY.
They made it for me in Bangkok and I paid the equivalent of 55 US$.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 8, 2009 at 5:20:25 am

[Craig Seeman] "no punishment I know of."

Sometimes "punishment" can be fun. Oops. Wrong website!

I don't mind sending the camera away, or paying the $100 each. What annoys me is the amount of time that they keep the goods.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 8, 2009 at 11:05:53 am

Obviously all you guys are in the tough old US. I had no problem getting my firmware up date free and done in ten minutes. Surely your supplier would do that for you as a matter of course as a goodwill gesture, especially if you do a fair amount of business with them. Or is 'goodwill' an uncommon phrase in your part of the world? It's quite hard enough making films and getting your head around all the rapidly advancing technology without having to put up with unhelpful manufacturers and their retailers. Here in the UK thankfully the attitude is one of friendly co operation.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 9, 2009 at 6:16:43 am

[Michael Slowe] "Here in the UK thankfully the attitude is one of friendly co operation."

Maybe we shouldn't have separated from England back in the 1700s.Oh well, too late mow.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Brian Volland
on Mar 9, 2009 at 6:20:39 pm

Finally the update is here. So let me be the first to ask a question. Can I mix formats when exporting from FCP? I sent two 1440x1080 XDCAM HD 1080i60 VBR files and they copied over no problem. I then tried to export a 1920x1080 XDCAM EX 1080i60 vbr but got the following error message:

Please check that your XDCAM device is set up correctly, the REC INHIBIT indicator is off, and the disc is not full.
The device should be configured like this:
Video: MPEG HD 60i. Audio: 2 ch x 16 bit
Error writing MXF file (while checking successful write()).

I have over 50% open disc space, audio configured to 4 channel, dual mono. Only thing I can figure is that I can't export different formats. Am I correct?

Return to posts index

Brian Volland
on Mar 9, 2009 at 6:54:41 pm

sorry wrong thread, please disregard, I will repost in the right spot.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on Mar 12, 2009 at 11:56:50 am

Many of the advice... and opinions... here are relevant in the US where you can buy and have your Sony equipment serviced.
I bought an early EX1 from the US when living in Central Asia, where there are no Sony agents. I have since moved to Paris and asked the Sony agents to do the upgrade / fix.... sorry .. "feature". They refused to touch the camera as it had not been bought though their network. They suggested that I fly back to the US where I bought my camera. Gotta love the service.
Thanks to this forum for all the information. Those of us who do not have a service centre or reliable agent around the corner rely on information here for video survival.
V.L.

'

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:05:31 pm

[Vladimir Lozinski] " They refused to touch the camera as it had not been bought though their network."
Hard to understand.
Normally I go to Bangkok to fix my camera.
I really have to compliment SONY Thailand for their service.
Really professional, fast and always very reasonable prices.
Also I'm very happy of the boom of Apple in Thailand.
Now there are official services in the country. No need to send the Mac to Singapore.
I know what means to be without service availabe, but I never came across with an situation like yours in France.
rafael

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

Struan Wallace
on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:44:00 pm

Hi I was just wondering if you could help me out and tell me where the Sony service center is in Thailand? I just wanted to get my EX! serviced.

Thanks for your help,

Struan Wallace

Capturing the world one frame at a time

Return to posts index

Struan Wallace
on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:15:33 am

Hi I was just wondering if you could help me out and tell me where the Sony service center is in Thailand? I just wanted to get my EX! serviced.

Thanks for your help,

Struan Wallace

Capturing the world one frame at a time

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 12, 2009 at 12:01:04 pm

So, where should it be sent and how long will it take? I'm in VA.

I have seen "torrent" sites with the firmware, but I know nothing about them and am not going to take a chance on them. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Mar 13, 2009 at 2:23:11 am

Frankly, it wasn't so much the money as the reported time it was taking to get the upgrade. By all reports it was 2-3 weeks to get the camera sent in and returned for this upgrade. We've upgraded 3 camera's so far, and they all are working swimmingly. As with all risk, if it works, it's always worth it, if not, never. Only hindsight tells. In our case, it was worth it.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 13, 2009 at 9:33:18 am

Well, I'm willing to try it. Do you know a reliable link for the software? Is Mininova.org ok?

Bob

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:51:47 am

Hi,

I just installed successfully the firmware from Mininova.org. It is useful to watch this video:

http://www.vimeo.com/2686923

Now I am wondering why the camera doesn't work with a Transcend ExpressCard 32GB.

Any idea?

SONY cards work OK so there is nothing wrong.

Radim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 22, 2009 at 1:02:25 pm

[Radim Palus] "Now I am wondering why the camera doesn't work with a Transcend ExpressCard 32GB. "
Had checked that the firmware have been properly installed/
Rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:06:10 pm

The card itself might be the problem

Best to get MxR, MxM or Hoodman's new SDHC adaptor. Transcend SDHC Class 6 32GB cards do work (several have reported this) although I haven't tried it myself.

I'm actually using Sandisk SDHC Ultra II Class 2 32GB cards but many are reporting the newer Class 4 do not work.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:48:46 pm

What card adapter are you using?

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:54:53 pm

He's using an ExpressCard (card may look like SxS). Few of those work and those that do only work in SP (HDV/25mbps) mode. They aren't fast enough.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2009 at 9:41:08 pm

Pic of Express Card

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:03:21 am

Hi Craig,
What is this and what is this for?
Rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2009 at 2:09:49 am

See Radim Palis post above.

He said he was using an ExpressCard
and Bob Mark asked what adaptor he was using.
There is no adaptor. Transcend makes and ExpressCard. It USB I believe and every ExpressCard I know of that has been tested either fails or, in some cases, will only record in HDV mode. Lexar's cards work in HDV mode. During the early compatibility tests with the new EX1 firmware those were tested.

Return to posts index

Aapje Met
on Jul 29, 2009 at 4:19:20 pm

After update it displayed an E-15030 error then after OFF/ON I got the E-17003.
Which is a new one I think. Guess I'm F#%#@.
Used the official Sony download.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2009 at 4:45:56 pm

Try doing the firmware upgrade again.

Even Sony makes mistakes. They had to do my firmware update too when I got an error message when trying to send prerecorded clips out of SDI and AV connections.

Return to posts index

Aapje Met
on Jul 29, 2009 at 5:42:42 pm

Managed to do it again and the Cam is alive again! pffff Sure had a scare there.

Cam didn't even startup before. Did a firmware update 0530 and then the 0531 again.
That did the trick.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2009 at 5:50:24 pm

At least in your case you didn't have to send it back to Sony a second time.

Fortunately for me it's only a 30 minute drive to the US east coast Sony service center and the re did the firmware while I waited.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kirillov
on Jan 17, 2012 at 11:18:48 am

Could you please tell me how did you manage to install an earlier version? I got my camera screwed up after upgrading the firmware 1.05 to 1.26 and it now displays the same two errors (170003 & 15030)and it takes ages for the camera to start up and nothing really works correctly. My attempts to run the update again were unsuccessful.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:02:41 pm

Sony gave me conflicting info about updating, but the last Sony tech I spoke to on the phone said that if your version is below 1.13 you need to send it in for the update (it is done in stages). I sent mine to Macie Video and they did three versions to get it to the current one (1.26). It cost $190.50 plus shipping. If you are trying to go directly from 1.05 to 1.26 you are taking a pretty big risk.

Bob

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kirillov
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:16:31 am

Thanks, Bob! But sending the camera for reupgrading is not an option here in Siberia, because it would take too much time and money, and I simply can't afoord it, considering I'm going too need it quite soon for my work.
The support team wrote that ASC's have spesial software for doing the reupgrading, but they won't share it with end users. So I wonder if anyone here has such an application or the link to download it.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:51:25 am

Hi Dmitry.
A bit late but if you look at this thread near the bottom, a guy called Rasmus had a similar problem.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/870022

I put some firmware files on dropbox for him and he managed to go back to 1.05 and then upgrade incrementally to 1.26
If you reply (or pm me) with an email address I can send you the dropbox link to try.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Andy Usac
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:20:06 am

I would really appreciate the links to the files. I have 1.05 currently. Could you please send me your link? I can't pm you, so please send to my email at: linenoise7@hotmail.com
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:06:30 am

Hi Andy.
You should hopefully get a Dropbox email linking to the files.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Return to posts index

Zach Stowell
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:58:31 pm

I too am in need of the EX1 firmware as I currently run 1.05 and can't afford the time to send it in. All I need is version 1.10 or 1.11 to access 32gb cards and I'll be happy. Any link or dropbox link will do. you can email me at magicbirdmedia@gmail.com Thanks

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:45:07 pm

Link sent.

Return to posts index

Zach Stowell
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:28:51 pm

Thanks for the response. Got the firmware from Sony's FTP site, followed the directions and now the camera takes a minute to boot and has E-17003 error code. Any ideas on how to fix?

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:05:00 am

You have to do the upgrades incrementally i.e. one after the other.
The Sony site I believe only has the latest version.

Another poster had the same problem (.... follow my link in this thread from Feb 28).
You should be able to reload v1.05, and then go up in stages.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

igor Jeminovic
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:15:58 pm

please cane give me a link for v1.05.i have error e17003/e15030. thanks

Return to posts index

Andy Usac
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:34:16 am

Thank you very much

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:11:39 pm

I don't know whether you've done the upgrade successfully, but I've just tried upgrading a camera that was on 1.02. It went to 1.05 ok, but aborted on 91% when going to 1.11
So I reflashed 1.05 again.
I have got a version of 1.10 which I've used before. However it flashes very quickly but stays on 1.05 afterwards (with no error messages during the flash). IIRC i had a camera a while ago that wouldn't go to 1.11, but when I flashed the 1.10 it then went on to 1.11 and upwards.
So I tried using 1.10, and it then enabled me to go all the way on to 1.26

I've added 1.10 to the dropbox folder just in case you have a similar problem.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Andy Usac
on Mar 18, 2012 at 3:06:27 am

Thanks, wish it was there earlier. I started on 1.05, and went to 1.11. It went to 100% but gave me the dreaded replace the board errors. I then attempted to work my way through all of the firmwares just to try. Each update got worse and worse with error codes showing up if the screen came on. After 2.5 hours I was able to get 1.05 to take correctly again. I tried again with the same issues. I went back to 1.05 again, and then tried to jump straight to 1.25. It worked that time for me. So I am safely at 1.25.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Casey Bramall
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:29:42 pm

I'm looking for v.1.11 up from there. I have 1.20 and 1.30, which is how I updated the camera from 1.11, but I found out it should be done incrementally, so I guess I should downgrade and do it the right way. I'm having no problems with 1.30 so far though.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:53:22 pm

Hi Casey.
Most (or all) of the problems seem to be from people upgrading from version 1.05. It normally takes a long time to boot up and/or continually produces error messages.
If it all appears to work OK then I would be inclined to leave it as it is.
If you want to get a copy of the firmware files then let me know an email address and I can invite you onto my Dropbox share.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Casey Bramall
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:47:42 pm

Hi Julian, the email is caseybramall@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Howard
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:53:21 pm

Julian,

I have recently purchase 2 more EX1s, and they are 1.03.
I misplaced the firmware updates from my first EX1.

I would greatly appreciate a link to your dropbox.

Douglas@pixel1080.com

Best wishes,

Doug

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jan 25, 2013 at 11:46:07 pm

Hi Doug.
I've sent you a drop box link.
I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I put a capital D on "Douglas" but the invite looks to have changed it to a lower case. (It may be my tablet doing it).
Let me know if you don't get it, or how you get on.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ghirvu
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:05:59 pm

Please send link for 1.05 firmware ex1
bubu1275@tiscali.it

Return to posts index

Daniel Ghirvu
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:34:21 pm

Please send link for 1.05 firmware ex1
bubu1275@tiscali.it

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:41:58 pm

Hi Daniel.
Dropbox link sent.
Good luck.
Julian.

Return to posts index

Jorge Ipanaque Neira
on May 2, 2013 at 3:02:30 pm

Hola Julian, al igual que otros tambien tengo la EX1 dañada deseo hacer un downgrade a la version 1.05 y gradualmente subir hasta la 1.26 enviame una invitacion de dropbox para arreglar mi camara.
Saludos Jorge Ipanaque desde Perú.

Return to posts index

Herbert Delaney
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:15:02 am

Hi Daniel, do you have a complete 1.05 or 1.03 firmware zip file? I'd really appreciate as my EX1 is stuck and was trying to upgrade from 1.03 - 1.10. Here is my email address (herbertdel@gmail.com)

Herbert Delaney
EDITOR | DIRECTOR | FILM MAKER

Return to posts index

Josselin Millecamps
on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:28:44 pm

Hi,
After an issue on Firmware Update 1.30 for ZX1, do you know if it's possible to go back / downgrade the firmware, the VersionUpTool.exe with 1.20 firmware version don't accept to update with an older firmware....

Tanks by advance for your help.
Best regards.
Josselin

CTM Solutions .
Paris

Return to posts index

Fabricio Morales
Re: liable link to EX1 firmware update??
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:42:21 pm

Hi Julian, can you sendme the firmware 1.05 for pmw ex1?
Mail: complemente@gmail.com

Regars.

FM

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:04:39 am

Dropbox link sent.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Joe Mawuru
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:02:07 am

Need a reliable EX1 firmware update, i have never updated it before. need link joe.mawuru@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

Josh Hamman
on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:50:42 pm

Hi Julian!

Sorry to dig up an old thread but, do you happen to still have those EX-1 firmware updates somewhere handy?

Or someone else here that got em from Julian?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 9, 2015 at 11:34:28 am

Hi Josh.
If you provide an email address I can send you a dropbox link.
Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Josh Hamman
on Oct 10, 2015 at 1:29:24 am

Thank you so much!!

acmilancrazy@sbcglobal.net

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 10, 2015 at 3:17:01 pm

Hi Josh.

I sent a dropbox link earlier on.
Let me know if for some reason you didn't get it.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Josh Hamman
on Oct 10, 2015 at 5:09:28 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Clifford Steinberg
on Nov 10, 2015 at 4:35:45 pm

So happy I found this thread! I am also trying to update my EX1 firmware. My email is: cliff.steinberg@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!

Cliff Steinberg
Rent Com, Inc.
http://www.rentcom.com
Chicago

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Nov 10, 2015 at 6:12:47 pm

Hi Cliff.

Dropbox link sent.
Good luck.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Alistair Gardiner
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:58:01 pm

Hi Julian,

Can you send me the Dropbox link too?

email: alistair.gardiner852@gmail.com

Many thanks!
Alistair

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 26, 2016 at 8:54:18 am

Hi Alistair.

Dropbox link sent. Good luck.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Panagiotis Feretos
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:52:29 am

Hello Julian
i've tried to upgrade my EX1 from 1.05 to 1.26
(all done by the book) and the camera is now resting
for three weeks at the local sony service in Greece
having Dmitry's camera symptoms.
I wonder if your magic link may be useful for me too
Thanks
Panagiotis
My email add. : pferetos@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:24:46 pm

Hi Panagiotis.
I've sent you a Dropbox link containing all the files.
You should hopefully be able to go back to 1.05, and then go up one at a time.
1.10 goes through very quickly without any errors, but afterwards it still says the camera is on 1.05
I started to bypass that version, but I've recently found a couple of cameras that wouldn't upgrade to 1.11 correctly unless I had flashed 1.10, so I recommend using it.
I assume it does a minor upgrade to one of the "modules" inside.

Good luck.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Panagiotis Feretos
on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:21:22 am

Hi Julian
I want to thank you for the really magic link and
Yes !!!!
i've done it with a lot of help from my friends.
Here are the good news:
after spending many hours trying to install 1.05 with fully disappointing results
of none communication between the camera and the PC,
John (my computer freak friend) said :"do you still have that old laptop of yours?"
and yes it worked !!!
The original "windows XP" is what the camera needed to let 1.05 be installed on it.
All of the rest was a piece of cake. Just following the updates step by step as you sent
it.The PDFs of each update is useful too.
Thanks again
Panagiotis

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:49:14 am

Julian ,
I would appreciate the links to the files. I have 1.03 currently running on my camera. Could you please send me your link. I tried to upgrade straight from 1.03 to 1.26 and now I have e-13050 error every time I puit the sxs card inside. I would like to go back to 1.03 and then send it to sony to do the firmware update to 1.26

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 22, 2012 at 10:20:56 am

Hi Benamir.
I did reply to you the following day (and again about a week ago) but my posts didn't seem to get through the moderators.
If you let me know your email address then I can invite you to Dropbox.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

benamir mujanovic
on May 22, 2012 at 2:41:56 pm

Julian,
Thank you, I solved the problem by my self.
Ben

Return to posts index

igor Jeminovic
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:20:50 pm

Please Julian Masters can you sand mr link of Dropbox ,so i can back to firmwre v1.05,because i have error E17003/e15030 because i thraid to upgrde to v1.30,stupid of me.Please help my mail is rogya@verat.net.
thancks

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:25:08 pm

Dropbox link sent.
Remember if you get back to 1.05 and do the update, then 1.10 doesn't seem to do much (it still says 1.05 afterwards). However without doing it I have had problems.
Also, as far as I'm aware the latest firmware is 1.25, unless 1.30 has just been released.
Good luck.
Julian.

Return to posts index

igor Jeminovic
on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:49:26 am

Tancks,very much, i can't downliad now because i have proxy on job,but i'll download at home.i finde only on russian site for v1.05 last night and i do it today early morning.It work fine,a'm so happy,bat i'll do your v1.10,i'll do it tomorow.

Thancks for fast replay

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:28:20 am

No problem Igor.
You only need to use the 1.10 if you intend to update it further.
I've also added 1.26 and 1.30 (which I hadn't seen before) to dropbox.
1.26 improves the error processing on SXS cards, while 1.30 just looks it adds XQD memory card support, which you may not need.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:38:17 am

Don't forget to do them incrementally one at a time.

Return to posts index

igor Jeminovic
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:12:48 pm

Hi,i download all files.Thanks for help,tomorrow i'll do them.
BinaryPackageLoader is better then VersionUpTool ,because you can go back to earlier versions,it,s sony wisely made it!

Return to posts index

igor Jeminovic
on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:46:30 am

Hi!Update was successful.I am so happy! Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Smari Baldursson
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:45:31 pm

Hi!
I need to upgrade my ex1 from 1.02 to 1.26
Can anyone send me link to 1.10 or 1.11
I have firmware 1.26 on file.
My e-mail smari@borgir.net

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:40:54 pm

Hi Smari.
Sorry, I was on holiday for the last couple of weeks.
Dropbox link sent.

Return to posts index

Josselin Millecamps
on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:26:34 pm

Hi,
After an issue on Firmware Update 1.30 for ZX1, do you know if it's possible to go back / downgrade the firmware, the VersionUpTool.exe with 1.20 firmware version don't accept to update with an older firmware....

Tanks by advance for your help.
Best regards.
Josselin

CTM Solutions .
Paris

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 15, 2015 at 8:57:39 pm

Hi Josselin.
I assume you mean an EX1 !

What version did you upgrade from?

Most people on here jumped from around v1.05 up to v 1.20 or higher and then got error messages.
As far as I'm aware most/all of them downgraded back to 1.05, and then incrementally went up to higher versions.
If you need to go down to a low version post an email address and I can invite you onto my shared Dropbox folder. Each version has got install instrucions enclosed, and the install program changed slightly at v1.20

Also, I've only got the Windows versions.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Josselin Millecamps
on Jun 15, 2015 at 9:39:54 pm

Hi Julian,

First, thanks you very much for your quick reply.

yes I will downgrade for try to find my "audio" features...
My email is joss@ctmsolutions.com

Thanks by advance for your precious help !

Best regards
Josselin
Paris

Return to posts index

Josselin Millecamps
on Jun 16, 2015 at 12:31:49 pm

Thanks a lot !
It's working fine !

Be carreful for users on Win 7 or 8 for a firmware downgrade, the previous application (previous 1.20 version) don't working fine on 64Bits OS.
You can downgrade without issue using 32 OS.

Best regards
Josselin

Return to posts index

Olle Ekman
on Mar 7, 2015 at 7:17:18 pm

Hi!

Can you please send the link ASAP?? olle_eman8@hotmail.com

Best regards!
Olle

Return to posts index

Herbert Delaney
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:23:42 am

Hi Benamir, would you happen to have the 1.03 or 1.05 version of the firmware? If yes, my email is (herbertdel@gmail.com). Thanks

Herbert Delaney

Return to posts index

Daniel Ghirvu
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:59:07 pm

please send link to EX1 firmware update

Return to posts index

Cano Rojas
on Sep 18, 2013 at 6:03:29 pm

Hello Julian, sorry for the random contact but run into the same ex1 problem you guys talked and would like to know if you could share with me also your dropbox folder with all the versions for firmware upgrade. I got the same 17003 error.

Many thanks and apologize for the annoyance! :)

Return to posts index

mark villa
on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:56:11 am

Hi Julian,
great job! Can I have the dropbox invitation for the EX1 firmware too? my email is villagevoice at yahoo.com
Thank You so much!

Return to posts index

mark villa
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:37:39 am

never mind . found it. thanks

Return to posts index

mark villa
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:55:07 pm

Actually I have the version 1.20 , 1.25 , 1.26 , 1.30 in case somebody needs it.

Return to posts index

Martin Olofsson
on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:46:42 pm

Hi Mark,

I would be great to see someone has the old firmwares. I have 1.30 installed but have problems with the camera and hope to use one of the old versions to solve it. Can you send me the ones you have?

e-mail: martin.olofsson@nasdaqomx.com

/Martin

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on May 28, 2014 at 1:23:41 am

Hi, do you have firmware version 1.13? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 28, 2014 at 7:52:16 am

I have got copies of 1.13, but I haven't put them in my Dropbox folder because I've got two versions.
One is 1.13_0538 and the other is 1.13_0542. When I originally saved the second one I remarked as it being for the "old version" board.
However, in all the upgrades I've done I go from v1.12 up to v1.14, and then up to the later versions, and haven't had any issues.
Let me know an email address and I can send you a dropbox link.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on May 29, 2014 at 3:57:11 am

Hi Julian,

Thanks a lot. My email address is annguo@gmail.com. My camcorder is purchased in 2008, so probably is an "old version"? Please send both versions any way.

Thanks,
Ann

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 29, 2014 at 11:19:14 am

Hi Ann.
I've sent you a dropbox link.
I haven't got the 1.13 versions in there, but if you upgrade up to 1.14 that should cover every update that was in 1.13

If you decide to upgrade further, the process changes slightly on v1.20, but if you follow the instructions you should be OK.

Also, do each upgrade one after the other. I found v1.10 goes through really quickly and afterwards it still says you're on 1.05 But if I didn't do the 1.10 then the 1.11 wouldn't install correctly.

Good luck.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on May 30, 2014 at 7:31:27 am

Hi Julian,

Thanks. I did previously upgraded directly from Manufacture version to 1.26 and the camera got trouble like many other people experienced: took long time to start, no audio, etc. After downgrading it back to 1.05 and then upgrade version by version: 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 1.26, everything's back to normal except the audio. The audio playback has very low volume with lots of static noise. Do you know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Ann

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 30, 2014 at 8:03:32 am

Hi Ann.
I've not had any audio issues after doing upgrades.

Does it do the same when recording using either the xlr's or the internal microphone? If it's using the xlr's you haven't knocked the switches to line level.

Also, does the audio metering on the display show good levels?

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:02:48 am

Hi Julian,

It behaves the same whichever microphone I use. And only one audio meter shows up. The one audio meter even show up, the level bar almost doesn't move. When play back the recording, there's lots of static noise and the recorded audio has very low volume.

Thanks,
Ann

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Jul 27, 2014 at 7:19:38 am

Hi Julian,

Could you please send me the two 1.13 you have any way? I got audio problem after upgrade. I'm stuck with no luck. Just want to give it a last try without skipping any version. Thanks a lot for your help.

Ann

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:09:13 am

Hi Ann.
I'm on holiday at the moment so can't get to my stored files to add it to dropbox until the middle of next week.
What audio problems are you getting?

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:24:31 am

Hi Julian, the video playback is either no sound or very low volume with lots of statics. The camera worked fine before. I first upgraded from 1.05 to 1.26 and got many problems, such as very slow start, after the upgrade. So I downgrade it back to 1.05 and upgrade again version by version without skipping version, except 1.13 which I don't have. After that, the camera is back to normal in every aspect except the audio does not work any more.

Thanks,
Ann

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jul 29, 2014 at 5:18:10 pm

Hi Ann.
Quite a few people have done the upgrade in one go, and have then gone back to 1.05 and then upgraded incrementally. However, I've not heard any reports of audio issues.
I'll put the 1.13 versions onto dropbox when I'm back next week.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Jul 30, 2014 at 1:52:44 am

Thanks a lot, Julian. My email is annguo@gmail.com.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:34:58 pm

Hi Ann.
I forgot to mention, but I've added the 1.13 files to Dropbox.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:56:19 am

Thank you so much, Julian. Another question, do you have any version lower than 1.05?

Regards,
Ann

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:49:07 am

Hi Ann.
No sorry, 1.05 is the lowest I've got.
I haven't seen any mention of lower versions.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:15:32 am

Thank you, Julian.

Regards,
Ann

Return to posts index

Tariye George
on Dec 17, 2014 at 11:01:47 pm

Hi Julian,

Hope you are doing excellently.

Please can I request of you the link to the Sony PMW-EX1R firmware upgrade?

Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response and assistance.

Best regards,

Tariye

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 18, 2014 at 8:15:38 am

Hi Tariye.

The only cameras we use here are the older EX1 models.
I've just taken a look on the Sony (UK) site and the latest version for the EX1R is v1.30 dated 18th May 2012, the same date/version as the EX1 version.
However, I don't know whether the two are exactly the same.

If you're already on a later version of firmware (say 1.20 or higher) then I think you should be able to go straight to the EX1R v1.30.
You should be able to download that version straight from Sony.
If not let me know and I can add the EX1R version to my dropbox folder.
I don't have any previous versions for the EX1R though.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Marvin Moodie
on Feb 14, 2015 at 8:06:27 pm

hello i have a very old firmware on my EX1 i am not sure where to take the camera to have it upgraded to atleast version 1.26 my firmware is currently 1.05 and that come with a lot of limitation is the menu and media options. i would be grateful for any advice.

Nb. I dont live in North America

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 17, 2015 at 9:09:30 am

Hi Marvin.

Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days, but if you give me an email address I can invite you to my dropbox share.
It may be best to set up a temporary free/disposable one just to download the files.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Alec Walterscheid
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:30:52 pm

Hello Julian-

It looks like you are still sharing Ex-1 firmware upgrades. If so it would be wonderful if you could share. I'm currently at 1.05 It appears that many are upgrading on a PC I have an older Mac Pro with 10.6.8, Im guessing this will work? Thanks in advance.

Alec

alecwalterscheid@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:45:42 am

Hi Alec.
I'm afraid I've only got Windows (XP) versions of the files, and they unfortunately won't work on the mac.
They may work if you've got bootcamp/windows installed, but I've not heard of anyone trying that.
I've sent you a dropbox link to see what you can do.

Good luck,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Alec Walterscheid
on Apr 14, 2015 at 1:58:39 pm

Julian-

Probably a silly question but Ii have a PC at home
that's running Vista will that be compatible to run
FW update or do I have to find a PC running XP?
Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 14, 2015 at 11:03:38 pm

I'm sorry Alec, but I don't know.
I would be suprised if it did though !

Julian.

Return to posts index

Anthony Smith
on Apr 14, 2015 at 11:10:28 pm

I tried various options, but in the end I simply installed an old harddrive into one of my computers and loaded XP onto that. I'm extremely doubtful that there's a way to bodge it with a different OS.

Return to posts index

Leonardo Palermo
on Feb 26, 2016 at 4:49:01 pm

Good afternoon
I have a camera EX1 and am facing a problem with an error message that appears on the display E17003. I swear I do not know what to do.
I followed the post yours and I saw that you talk about doing a reload from the firmware 1.5, you could help me because I do not know how to do.
Thank you very much your help.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 26, 2016 at 10:23:37 pm

Hi Leonardo.
Have you done a firmware upgrade, or has the error just occured?

I've got the firmware files on dropbox, and they contain the details of how to upgrade. Although it sounds as though you may have to go down first.

I'm not sure if this link will work but try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mf8f5fiu4v76h54/AADeaagxYVVCwkdnDWcO1Txda?dl=0

Earlier posts should help you out about what version to go back to. I haven't done any firmware upgrades for a while now.

Return to posts index

Felipe Ridolfi
on Aug 7, 2012 at 2:49:15 pm

Hi!
I need to upgrade my ex1 to teh firmware 1.26
Can u send for me?
My e-mail felipe.ridofli@gmail.com

Regards

Return to posts index

Felipe Ridolfi
on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:46:14 pm

Sorry i wrote wrong my e-mail. The right is - felipe.ridolfi@gmail.com

thanks!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Aug 9, 2012 at 12:12:48 pm

Invite sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

jason white
on Sep 5, 2012 at 8:52:38 am

Hi Julian,

You seem to be everyones saviour.
I would be very happy if you could send me the dropbox with earlier firmware upgrades so I can follow the advice here and attempt a rescue.
I attempted a v.1.30 upgrade and now the camera takes 5 mins to boot and shows error messages and the constant flashing tally lamp, and has no audio. Apart from that all seems to work.

Cheers,

Jason

cubinda@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42:49 pm

Dropbox link sent.
Good luck !

Return to posts index

jason white
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:13:16 pm

Excellent thankyou Julian. Ill post my results.

So if I summarise correcty having failed to get to a working 1.30 I should start at 1.05 and work my way through ALL upgrades until I hit the one I want to stop at.

I am mostly interested in the SDHC card compatibility and will probably stop the process at that upgrade. Do you know at which Firmware version this was introduced?.

Regards,

Jason

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Sep 5, 2012 at 6:30:32 pm

I haven't ever had to step back that far.
The only issue I've come across is if I miss out the 1.10 version then the next one hasn't always worked.
I don't really know what your best option would be.
You may find some pointers earlier on in this thread ... or in another firmware related one.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ahmed Sajid
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:33:11 am

Hey Julian

Please could you send the dropbox link to my email as well. i have managed to get the 17003 error as well. I will have to incrementally update everything.

thanks for your help.

sajidswami@yahoo.co.in

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16:52 am

Dropbox link sent.
Good luck!

Return to posts index

mark reynolds
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07:21 pm

hey julian,could i also get the firmware.

wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me.
i am on windows 7 and the inf file i have for ver.1.10 is not recognized.
i tried to use the 1.3 inf file and it was recognized.but i couldn't use the 1.10 uptool.

has anyone been able to use 1.10 inf file and uptool on windows 7.

maybe i have a bad file or something.

i am currently on 1.05

cheers

Return to posts index

mark reynolds
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:32:27 pm

email is gls@surgical.net

Return to posts index

mark reynolds
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:40:19 pm

decided to build an old pc with vista and the 1.10&1.11 install went fine.had to be a win 7 issue.
did all the rest up to 1.30 on win 7.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:47:40 pm

Hi Mark.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I was away all week.
Glad you got your firmware updated.

Return to posts index

Dennis Nomer
on Dec 27, 2012 at 6:16:16 am

This is for Julian, the savior of lost EX1's in the firmware update storm! I had a hard time finding a usable update package, then found one in the UK, linked from Guy Barwood's video page, an official Sony site, and followed the instructions (using the hidden port) using my Vista PC, and the update appeared to work (took me from 1.05 clear to 1.30 in a single update), but now the camera takes forever to boot, etc. as many have reported.

Could you send me a link to getting the various updates which I will apply in order. I am not sure how to get it back to 1.05, though, to start updating. As I believe you know, the latest official Sony updater will not update something that is already 'updated'. Maybe some of these older versions of the updater will take it back, though.

Thanks for your help. Sony SURELY have not made this nice. Something which ought to be straightforward is a ROYAL hassle. Their own site gives me just the .bin file, with no uploader or .inf file. It's a joke. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:24:13 am

Hi Dennis.
I've got the files stored on Dropbox.
If you let me know an email address I can send you an invite.

If you want to keep your usual email address private you can probably set up a "throw away" gmail address or similar just to get the files.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Dennis Nomer
on Dec 27, 2012 at 5:41:36 pm

Thanks. I forgot that part! Send it to DNomer@gmail.com

Thanks again.

dn

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 28, 2012 at 12:52:36 am

Hi Dennis.
Dropbox links sent.
I believe you should be able to go back down to 1.05, and then go up from there.
Have a read through some of the earlier posts in his thread for pointers.
Good luck.
Julian.

Return to posts index

Dennis Nomer
on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:53:45 am

Well, it came out nice. My Ex1 got unbricked, thanks to Julian and his nifty set of upgrade files. Remember my camera was set at version 1.30, but it did not work properly, took forever to boot, gave E-17003 when in Camera mode, gave E-15030 when in Media playback mode. Close enough to bricked. I had learned about the hidden USB port on the camera, and I had the special Sony device driver for the camera's special USB connection already loaded, so that was not going to be an issue.

I only had a couple of minor issues, and they did not prevent success. My first issue was that I tried to go back to 1.05, which was the way I got my camera, and the folder for that version did not have the .bin file. So I started with version 1.10, which uses the earlier-style Package Loader. As Julian said, it runs in just 2 minutes, performs the upgrade, but the new version number does not show in the Camera Info section (Maintenance mode). No problem. I proceeded to 1.11, and it took 10 minutes, but it worked, and now the version showed. Testing the camera, everything is working, no error messages!! I decided to try version 1.20 next, skipping a couple. The Package Loader (newer style) bitched that it was not the right one to use. So I went back and did 1.12 and 1.14 using the old-style loader, and they went smoothly. But then when I tried 1.2 again, it refused to work like before. So I skipped it and did 1.25 using the new-style loader, and it went smoothly, albeit you have to note the new way that it works and follow the simple instructions. Then I skipped to 1.30 (final version), and it loaded, and now the camera is apparently fully functional and fully updated. My preliminary tests show no problems.

Many thanks to Julian for providing what Sony should provide. Sony's concept of customer service is dismal, and this whole episode has strongly affected my opinion of the company. They should take a page out of Julian's book. I spent hours prowling all over Sony's sites and found a download that included a .bin file, but no .inf nor the Package Loader. What good is that?? Then from a link from a friendly Internet soul (Barwood), I found a set of files (in Europe) that worked, seemingly (the software claimed success), but the camera was basically bricked. Anyone who thinks that this somehow resembles a customer service solution is bent.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:36:04 am

Hi Dennis.
I'm glad it worked out for you.
I'm not sure where the bin file for 1.05 has gone, it definitely used to be in there but it may have got "lost" when I had to restore the files a couple of months ago (although that only involved ticking some boxes and not reuploading any files).
I'll reupload the bin file when I get back into work.
All the best,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Martijn Roskam
on Dec 28, 2012 at 11:17:31 pm

Hi Julian,

Here another lost EX1 user who was dumb enough to think that he could update all the way from V1.02 to V1.30 (needed the update for using the 32GB SxS cards)..

Could you provide me with your famous magical dropbox folder link? My email adress is mjroskam@gmail. com

At the professional Sony Europe site only version 1.30 is available for download..

Hope it will work with a Windows 7 PC or i'll have to go look for an older laptop or my old iMac..

Your help is appreciated a lot! Thanks, Martijn Roskam

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 29, 2012 at 12:29:58 am

Hi Martijn.
I've sent you a Dropbox link.
The 1.05 folder has somehow lost its' bin file, but it looks as though you can go back to 1.10 instead.
I'm back in work on wednesday so can upload it then if you get any problems.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Martijn Roskam
on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:54:32 am

Thanks a lot Julian,

I already tried to downgrade to 1.10 but i can't get a connection with the camera.

When i connect the EX1 to the PC via the USB cable i can hear the windows sound that a connection is being made.

Without the USB connected the EX1 is starting up very slowly and when it is booted it gives error E-17003.

But the wheels on the binary package downloader keeps turning and keeps saying "<>" so i can't install 1.10.

Now my hope is set to version 1.05, eagerly hoping to try that if u can send that wednesday.

I am pretty scared that i maybe killed my cam. Only good news is that i need the camera in the beginning of february so i do have some time.

Anyway thanks for your help so far and have a good new year.

Martijn

Return to posts index

Martijn Roskam
on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:56:32 am

Between the <>-marks Connect to the Target

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 29, 2012 at 2:05:26 am

Is that on your windows 7 pc?
It may be worth reading through some threads to see if that could be the issue.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Martijn Roskam
on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:42:03 pm

That was indeed on my Windows 7 PC. After a bad sleep i tried to update to 1.10 with the help of an old Windows XP laptop from my dad.

That worked and i got firmware 1.10 installed. After that i incrementally installed 1.11, 1.12 and 1.14. But at 1.20 i got an error in the update tool saying: Please obtain the correct update tool.

Then i switched back to my own Windows 7 64 bit desktop and retried 1.20 but got the same error. So i decided to move on with firmware 1.25 on my windows 7 computer. That worked great. After that 1.26 and 1.30.

Now it looks like that FW 1.30 is succesfully in the EX1 without any errors. Will do some testshots and clip deletes later today to find out if it really works.

I am really happy and thankful for your help Julian! We (or better yet Sony) owes you bigtime!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:01:18 pm

That's great Martijn, I hope it tests out ok.
Dennis, who downloaded the files a couple of days ago, also had a problem with 1.20 so I'll have to check that they haven't been corrupted.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Martijn Roskam
on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:01:18 am

It tested out OK. It is looking good on my old 8GB cards.. in a few weeks wil be testing with new 32GB cards..

Return to posts index

Tom Grundy
on Jan 5, 2013 at 1:15:16 am

Hi Julian,

You seem to be the saviour of many people on this one!

Do you think you could send me the dropbox invite, i'm looking to upgrade so I can get using my SD cards.

tom_grundy@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks!

Tom

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:15:10 pm

Hi Tom.
I sent a Drobox link earlier on but didn't have time to reply to the thread.
I see that you've now joined the shared folder.
Good luck ... and don't forget to upgrade one step at a time.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Max Segal
on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:32:55 pm

Hello Julian,

I tried upgrading from 1.05 -> 1.30 using the "version up tool" fromt the sony website. Their pdf instructions say that anything 1.00 and above can be upgraded using this tool. Long story short, the camera hits me with the error message E-17003 like so many other folks in this thread. I would like to try downgrading to 1.05 then go incrementally using the tools that you have been giving out. Would it be possible to send me a dropbox invite? Thank you kindly. mtsegal@gmail.com

Cheers,
Max

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:28:46 pm

Hi Max.
I didn't have time to reply this morning so just sent the dropbox invite.
Good luck with the down/upgrade.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Max Segal
on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:25:22 am

Thank you so much, it is very kind of you to be helping people the way you are I am truly appreciative. The files worked great and I encourage anyone else who thought they might have bricked their camera not to give up!

That being said its a shame that Sony seems to have turned a blind eye to supporting owners of a very popular and widely used camera, but hey thats what forums are for I guess.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:48:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words Max.
Since I have the files stored on Dropbox it only takes a minute to share, so it's no real hardship to invite anyone.

I'm glad your camera "recovered"!

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Tom Grundy
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:57:16 am

Hi Julian,

Sorry i never got back to you, all if working perfectly now!
Thanks very much for your help!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:21:30 pm

No problem Tom.
I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Return to posts index

Tom Carlsson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:57:15 am

Hi Julian,
I just run into the same problem as everyone else. Sadly I hadn't seen this thread before...
I attempted to go from 1.03 to 1.30 in one go, the guy in the shop claimed it wouldn't be a problem. Ha! I should have known better...
So, I would highly appreciate if you could give me access to your firmware collection! My email is t_carlsson@bigfoot.com
Regards,
Tom

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 21, 2013 at 5:23:47 pm

No problem Tom.
Dropbox invite sent.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Tom Carlsson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:10:45 pm

Julian,
Thank you!!! If there is ever an election for "Most helpful person on the net" you will have my vote!
Yes, there were issues in restoring the firmware, but they had mostly to do with getting the computer infrastructure working. In the end I managed with BootCamp on a Mac, running Windows XP. The 1.20 installer didn't work, though, but I skipped that and managed to get to 1.30 without further problems, and everything seems to be working now. And just in time, since I have some filming to do tomorrow night.
Seeing that "dead" camera wake up again with your 1.05 – now I know how Frankenstein felt... ;)
Thanks again, you made my day!
Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:58:11 am

Hi Tom.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Now the files are on Dropbox it's a quick and simple process to share them out.

I've had a look at the 1.20 file and two folders (with some dll files in) had disappeared. Dropbox has done that before with another folder ..... I'm not sure why.
1.20 was the first firmware which used a new type of installer. So it's unfortunate it disappeared from this one and not a later one (which then wouldn't have mattered as it would have been already installed).

Glad to have been of help.

Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Tom Carlsson
on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:44:28 am

Hi Julian,
It may not be a big thing for you, but rest assured that for someone who has just wrecked his camera, finding your helping hand really means a lot! I will send you a warm thought every time I get that camera out!

Does anyone know what that 1.20 update actually did, and how critical it is not having it installed? I filmed some three hours in a concert on Saturday, and didn't notice anything unexpected...

Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Jorge Ipanaque Neira
on May 2, 2013 at 2:57:23 pm

Hola Julian, he intentado actualizar de 1.05 -> 1.30 con la herramienta del sitio web de Sony. Sus instrucciones pdf dicen que nada y por encima de 1.00 se puede actualizar utilizando esta herramienta. Larga historia corta, la cámara me da el mismo mensaje de error E-17003 como tantas otras personas en este hilo. Me gustaría probar rebaja a 1,05 luego ir gradualmente con las herramientas que usted ha estado dando. ¿Sería posible que me envies una invitación dropbox? Gracias por tu amabilidad. jipanaquen@gmail.com Saludos, Jorge de Perú.

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 2, 2013 at 5:43:45 pm

Hi Jorge.
Dropbox link sent .... good luck.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Jorge Ipanaque Neira
on May 3, 2013 at 4:29:16 am

Gracias Julian recibí tu correo voy a proceder a ver que tal me va

muchas gracias de antemano

Return to posts index

Eirik Tiller
on Oct 12, 2013 at 12:51:39 pm

EDIT: email: eirik (at) whitestar.no

Hi Julian,

In a bit of an emergency and need to upgrade the EX1 from 1.02 -> 1.05. Could I get an invite to the dropbox please?

Thanks in advance,
Eirik

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 12, 2013 at 5:21:36 pm

Hi Eirik.
No problems. I need an email address to "invite" to dropbox.
You can always create a disposable one if you don't want to use your usual one. Also, maybe write "at" rather than @.

Julian.

Return to posts index

Eirik Tiller
on Oct 12, 2013 at 5:34:19 pm

Great, thank you! :D email: eirik@whitestar.no

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:19:17 pm

Hi Eirik.
I sent you a drop box link this morning.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Alexis Abarca
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:36:53 pm

dear julian, can you please give me an invitation, in need do an update of the firmware. thanks a lot. regard, Alexis. abarcav@msn.com

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:26:18 pm

Hi Alexis.
Invite sent. Good luck.
Julian.

Return to posts index

Alexis Abarca
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:11:24 pm

thacks a lot Julian.

Return to posts index

Girard Dorney
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:14:19 am

Hi Julian,

Been reading this post and it seems to be the most reliable process out there.

Would greatly appreciate the firmware versions 1.10 and 1.11. Also 1.13 if you have it.

girard@fascinoma.com.au

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:41:07 am

Hi Girard.
Dropbox invite sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Girard Dorney
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:59:17 am

Thank you again.

Can't tell you how helpful this is.

Return to posts index

Brent Bett
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:49:37 am

Hello,
I have been researching this update for about 3 hours which has lead me here! I have yet to update my EX1. At this point intend to update mostly out of principal. I am starting with v1.11 hopefully end at v1.26. To clarify, is it suggested to go in increments: v1.11, v1.13,v1.14, v1.20 and ending 1.26? Like the others, unable to find many versions.

Julian if you could please send me link to them it would be greatly appreciated. brentbett at gmail dot com

Kind Regards, Brent

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:40:50 am

Hi Brent.
Dropbox invite sent.
The folder contains versions from 1.05 up to 1.30

I've upgraded several cameras and do them all incerementally.

When you say yo're starting from 1.11 do you mean you're on that already, or are you going to start by upgrading to 1.11 ?
If you're still on 1.05 then I've found you have to upgrade to 1.10 first. The upgrade is very quick, and afterwards it still implies you're on 1.05, but if you don't do it then the 1.11 install comes up with an error message.
There is also a change in how the firmware upgrade is done form 1.20 upwards, where you have to install some different drivers. They should all be in the folders.

Good luck.

Julian.

Return to posts index

paul anderson
on Apr 28, 2015 at 12:28:48 am

Hello Julian,
For years I've watched your generosity in sharing the firmware. Now I recently picked up an ex-1 that was never upgraded, and I'm asking for the dropbox link myself. Thanks in advance for all you've done.

Paul Anderson
DP, SF Bay Area and Midwest

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:34:55 am

Hi Paul.
Can do, but I need an email address to send the invite.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

paul anderson
on Apr 28, 2015 at 4:03:37 pm

oops.
paulanderson65 at outlook dot com

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 28, 2015 at 8:58:07 pm

Dropbox link sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Raj Banger
on May 30, 2014 at 1:47:46 pm

Hey Julian would you be able to email me the dropbox link for firmware to contact@rajvideoluton.com Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 30, 2014 at 5:43:22 pm

Hi Raj.
Dropbox link sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Herbert Delaney
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:39:49 am

HI Tom, does your 1.05 zip file have the bin file in it? The one I've got from Martjin seems to be missing. I'd really appreciate if you can me a link for the firmware files. My email is herbertdel@gmail.com

Herbert Delaney

Return to posts index

Tom Carlsson
on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:45:48 am

Hi Herbert,
"my" file is of course originally Julian's (credits where credits are due!). It has indeed a .bin file for 1.05. I just sent you a link to the dropdown files, hope it works out!
Tom

Return to posts index

Antonello Salvatore
on May 9, 2013 at 12:43:46 am

Sorry, Martijn Roskam can you help me, I need 1.12 and 1.14 firmwares.
Thisi is my email antoevo71@yahoo.it
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

dennis commins
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:29:01 am

Hi Julian,
can you please send me the Dropbox link to firmware 1.05,
many thanks in advance
regards
dennis

Return to posts index

Anil Velji
on May 5, 2014 at 9:19:06 am

Hi, if anybody could send me link to update from 1.05 to 1.12 or so for using 32gb sxs card

Return to posts index

Herbert Delaney
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:53:13 pm

Hi Julian, I have an EX1 that bricked recently. I'm trying to upgrade from firmware 1.03 to 1.11 then to the latest. Would you please send me a dropbox link my email is herbertdel@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:45:56 am

Hi Herbert.

Just checking, did you get sorted out?
My thread settings are just the "default", and I only get a message when someone replies to one of my messges so I didn't see this one.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Digby Fox
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:14:49 pm

Dear Julian,

Would you kindly add me to your famous EX1 firmware drop box?

digby@digbyfox.tv

Would be much appreciated. I'd like to find 1.25, and 1.26, 1.30?

Incidentally for general info, I just bought an EX1 at auction, it's a relatively cheap sacrificial cam to film on boats at sea, but it wouldn't format SXS-1 cards, stalled at 79%. I upgraded from 1.11 to 1.20 using this link:

http://pro.sony-asia.com/support/product/PMW-EX1

… and now the cards format.

Regards,

Digby

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Mar 31, 2014 at 4:49:19 pm

Hi Digby.
Dropbox invite sent.

I just took a look at the v1.20 release notes and it mentions in there that the SXS-1 series memory card was added. The later versions then appear to increase the read speed and error processing.

Good luck,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Digby Fox
on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:40:18 pm

Julian, you are most heroic. thanks.

One of the happiest days of my life, after leaving school, getting married, getting… never mind… was going to the tip to dump my Dell PC tower… to switch everything to Mac.

Don't suppose anyone has 1.25, 1.26, 1.30 for Mac?

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:57:45 am

Hi Digby.
Just checked my files and I had saved the mac versions of 1.26 and 1.30, but not 1.25.
I've added those two to their respective folders.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Anil Velji
on May 5, 2014 at 11:18:22 am

Hi, can you please email me firmware update files from 1.05 to 1.2 or so, so i can use 32 gb sxs orignal cards,. Many thanks
anilvelji@yahoo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 5, 2014 at 1:45:09 pm

Dropbox link sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ben Brown
on May 25, 2014 at 9:26:43 am

Hello Julian,

Please can you help me out with the firmware?

My EX1 was at 1.05 and I downloaded the 1.30 update from the Sony site. I read in their instructions that it was OK to go straight from 1.05 to 1.30 in one go and have ended up with the same symptoms as everyone else. Camera now takes several minutes to boot and I see flashing tally light with error codes 17003 and 15030 and no sound input works.

I used my Mac OS X 10.6.8 to talk to the camera without any problems.

E-mail is osmium10@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks.

Ben

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on May 25, 2014 at 9:15:29 pm

Hi Ben.
I've sent you a Dropbox invite.
However, because I use Windows, then apart from the last couple of updates all the other ones are just the Windows versions.
So if you're not able to get hold of Mac versions you may have to get hold of an old XP computer. (I've never tried them with windows 7).
Good luck,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Ben Brown
on May 26, 2014 at 10:13:14 pm

Thanks so much, Julian. Your firmware worked well.

I was able to find an old XP machine. I used it to take the camera back to 1.05 to start, then incrementally built it back up to 1.14. I couldn't get the VersionUp Tool to work on the XP machine, so I jumped back on the Mac and went directly from 1.14 to 1.26 and then to 1.30.

The camera is now working absolutely fine.

I certainly owe you a drink or a donation to your favourite charity.

Many thanks,

Ben

Return to posts index

Tim de la Torre
on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:31:40 pm

Hi Julian, this is great what you've made available for everyone here. I have a few used camera I picked up for our department and I've got 2 at version 1.03 and 2 at version 1.05

Can you send me the link to the dropbox folder? mangomonster@gmail.com

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:35:53 pm

Hi Tim.
Dropbox link sent.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Tim de la Torre
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:36:56 pm

Got it. Thank you so much! That was fast! :)

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:38:21 pm

Not as fast as your reply !!

Return to posts index

Nico Capogna
on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:03:50 pm

Hi Julian
Can you invite me to dropbox folder with the firmware update?
nic.capogna@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:32:27 pm

Dropbox invite sent.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Nico Capogna
on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:19:11 pm

Hi Julian
I think that you have send me to the ex1 folder.
I forgot to tell you that I need the folder with ex1r firmware.
Please, can you invite me to the ex1r folder?

Thanks very much

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Aug 10, 2014 at 9:22:44 pm

Hi Nico.
I'm sorry, but all I have is the EX1 firmwares.
The company I work for don't have any EX1R cameras, so I haven't needed to find the firmware.
Regards,
Julian.

Return to posts index

Tim de la Torre
on Jun 26, 2014 at 9:04:05 pm

It worked perfectly.

For those who are interested, this was my workflow:

My cameras were at version 1.03. I used Windows XP (other people reported problems with Windows 7 above) to upgrade to 1.05, then 1.10, then 1.11, 1.12, and finally 1.14.

After that, I switched to my Mac and went from 1.14 straight to 1.26. Then after that, 1.3

Done. I did it for 5 cameras. Woohoo, thanks Julian!

Return to posts index

Anil Velji
on May 5, 2014 at 11:41:46 am

Hi julian, can you send link for firmware updates from 1.05 to 1.2 so i can use 32gb sxs cards
Anilvelji@yahoo.co.uk thanks in advvance

Return to posts index

Rj Cabillo
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:10:21 am

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible if you send me link of latest firmware of EX1? Here's my email address: rj.cabillo@gmail.com

Thank you all!

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:52:44 am

Dropbox link sent.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Rj Cabillo
on Oct 9, 2014 at 10:00:55 am

Lot of thanks, Julian.

Return to posts index

Laszlo Horvath
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:09:19 am

Julian can you send the firmware link for the EX-1 for me? Email or Dropbox is:
laszlotrisztan@gmail.com
Thanks a lot!
Laszlo

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:23:34 pm

Hi Laszlo.
Dropbox invite sent.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Laszlo Horvath
on Oct 18, 2014 at 1:53:29 pm

Thanks a lot Julian!
Laszlo

Return to posts index

Enno Ladwig
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:02:31 am

hi - I am in need of the firmware upgrade too... can you send it to me too? by any chance, Julian?
thank you

enno@enno.net

Return to posts index

Julian Masters
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:19:05 am

Dropbox link sent.

Regards,

Julian.

Return to posts index

Miguel Coyula
on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:31:13 am

Hi, Im looking for the firmware upgrade 1.26 link Could you please send it to me? Thanks

Return to posts index

Miguel Coyula
on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:34:17 am

Hi, Im looking for the firmware upgrade 1.26 link Could you please send it to me? Thanks

Forgot the email: migcoyula@hotmail.com

Return to posts index