FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6.0.5 - EX1 - easy setup/settings bug?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danny dale
FCP 6.0.5 - EX1 - easy setup/settings bug?
on Mar 7, 2009 at 4:03:37 pm

posted this on other forums as well:

Okay, I have done several searches (on other forums as well) and still can't solve this one...

First, I got a new MacBook Pro - running 10.5.6, Quicktime 7.6, FCS2 6.0.5 - everything is updated (as of last night). Got the latest Sony SxS drivers, and Sony transfer software 2.8.0 (downloaded 2.9 from the Sony site, but it didn't change transfer version - just seems to add a U1 Utility in my apps) - ran permissions, etc.

I choose easy setup, my only 'Sony' option is 'Sony XDCAM HD' - I choose that, then 'Rate: 23.98 fps', then 'Use: XDCAM HD 108024 VBR'. When I launch FCP, I can import from 'Sony XDCAM' (launches Transfer app) and get the files in my browser (show up as 1920x1080 23.98fps, XDCAM EX 1080p24 35Mb/s VBR). The sequence settings in the new project show as:
1920x1080
Aspect: HDTV 1080i(16x9)
pixel: square (anamorphic unchecked)
timebase:23.98
Compressor: XDCAM HD 1080p24 (35 VBR)
audio: 48, 16bit channel grouped

When I drag the clip to the timeline, I'm prompted with "Attention -this clip does not match sequence's settings...blah, blah... Change sequence settings to match the clip settings?" I choose yes and the clip is fine (no red render line).

HERE's my problem (some may not call it one)... the sequence settings have NOT changed one bit after I click "yes". I've tried countless times with new sequences to see if any changes occur, but they don't. What really bugs me is that it prompts me EVERY time I open a new sequence. Is it supposed to do that? I've also tried 'HD' with appropriate XDcam settings in easy setup and same thing.

In my searches others have posted to use 'XDCAM EX 1080p24 VBR' from easy setup but I don't have that option.

Please help me out on this... as it's little things like this that drive me mad.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCP 6.0.5 - EX1 - easy setup/settings bug?
on Mar 7, 2009 at 4:28:27 pm

Have you got the XDCam EX Clip browser software as well? Not sure if that's needed, but it's the only thing you haven't listed

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2009 at 4:51:24 pm

Sounds like you have a bad install. There should be EX options in the FCP Easy Setups.

I'm not sure how to fix because I've never experienced the issue but others have. There's definitely something wrong with your install though.

FCP 6.0.2 and up has the EX easy setups, I believe, even if one doesn't have any of the Sony apps, so it seems FCP may be at issue.

Return to posts index

danny dale
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:06:45 pm

I do have Clip Browser - launched it, restarted and still the same. I loaded FCS2 (6.0) and went straight to 6.0.5 in software updater. I read that 6.0.2 gave the option for 'XDCAM EX 1080p24' in easy setup, but wouldn't 6.0.5 include that? That's the only thing I can think of causing this problem. I can go into the sequence settings and manually change the compressor setting to 'XDCAM EX 1080p24', but I have to do that for every new sequence - no easy setup option for that in my 6.0.5 version.

Man, I'm dreading having to do a re-install. If so, can I just do FCP and not have to do all the media again? Just trying to avoid all those hours again only to end up with the same problem...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:46:20 pm

There are several EX easy setups. Each recording mode in the EX is represented.

You may need to reinstall FCP6. You may need to delete all components of it first.
The easy setups themselves are located
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Custom Settings
Even though they are installed rather than "custom."
There are 10 EX Easy Setup custom settings. They all start with XDCAM EX.
The codecs themselves are in the Quicktime folder but there are none specifically labeled EX so it's apparently hidden in another.

Return to posts index

danny dale
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:56:12 pm

Just checked and there are no XDCAM 'EX' settings, only 'HD'... any way I can copy/paste them in, trash prefs and such,and move on? I see those options when I change the sequence compressor setting - would they be somewhere? Also (just guessing), would Quicktime be the culprit? I'm on 7.6 - from what I have read in the past, Quicktime updates can screw things up.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2009 at 6:01:48 pm

Try trashing all Final Cut Pro preferences.
If that doesn't work.
You might just try a reinstall of FCP after removing preferences (rather than the entire app). That should be relatively painless. Once installed update to FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

danny dale
on Mar 7, 2009 at 6:20:27 pm

sorry for this one... but where are the prefs? I'm new to Leopard and FCP6 and can't find the 'Final Cut Pro User Data' folder like in Tiger/FCP5... tried spotlight and nothing.

BUT, I did find those pesky 'EX' easy setup settings in a folder titled "Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups" in my apps folder right below the Final Cut Pro app. I copied and pasted the 10 EX settings and now need to trash prefs/plists.... or should I just try to launch FCP and see what happens?

Return to posts index

danny dale
on Mar 7, 2009 at 6:35:06 pm

SCORE! I finally did find that folder (wonder why spotlight couldn't find it). Anyway copied and pasted the Ex settings Into the Final Cut Pro System Support /Custom Settings folder, trashed prefs/plists and relaunched. I still don't have them in the 'Format' drop down of easy setup, but I was able to select them in the 'Use' drop down. All is good again...

Craig, thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 9, 2009 at 1:54:16 pm

As an aside, I'd like to point out that it's simply amazing how corrupted Preferences can screw up a Mac, even to the point of emulating hardware failure. Therefore, it's also amazing how many freaky malfunctions can be solved by simply hunting down and trashing a few Preferences files.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]