FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM as a GOP based format

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tel jaba
XDCAM as a GOP based format
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:54:41 pm

Hello everybody

this is my first HD project, and I am still reading and testing, so I need your advice please

the more I read about the XDCAm format the more I question the decision to go with the EX 3 camera
I am going to be editing a project which is a documentary series(about 25, 45 minutes documentaries) and there will be chroma key and Motion video in that chroma key in all of the interviews which means most of the documentary) and I was wondering if we are going to be facing problems in the editing process because the XDCAM is a GOP based format? and would that be simply fixed by transcoding to ProRes?
I should also mention that I will be having a lot of SD material that will be transcoded via AJA Kona 3

please let me know what you think

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM as a GOP based format
on Mar 6, 2009 at 4:03:22 pm

You'll have no problem keying if you're shooting progressive. It's not GOP at issue so much as 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 IMHO. The pixel density is so high (close together) in the EX1 when shooting progressive I find the keys are very clean.

Sony now has XDCAM HD 50mbps 4:2:2 in the 700. It'll be interesting to see if they introduce it to the EX series.

In any case I've had no problem keying 1080p 35mbps 4:2:0. It's often just about one click in Final Cut Pro. Even I wasn't expecting it to be that clean that easy.

Return to posts index

tel jaba
on Mar 6, 2009 at 4:34:18 pm

hey Craig , thanks a lot for your reply
we want to get as close as possible to a "film look" so we are going to be shooting 1920x1080 25p

did you trascode to ProRes or did you work with the native format?
will I need to transcode to proRes at all? (like at the end of the editing process for better result?)

what is the difference between XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 6, 2009 at 5:26:01 pm

Don't forget to set shutter on and to 1/48 or 180 degrees to emulated film motion.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:27:14 pm

Edit and key natively in XDCAM EX setting sequence renders to ProRes to avoid GOP conform during editing. 1080p EX keys nice and clean natively.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 6, 2009 at 8:34:04 pm

Please try not to believe some of the misinformation out there about XDCam EX, there is a lot of bias against Mpeg 2 formats, mostly from people that haven't worked with them in any detail.

As well as an EX3 we also shoot HDCam as well and I think keying from the EX is just as easy as the HDcam footage. Just make sure it's well lit and you'll have no problems.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:10:56 pm

I'm blown away with the picture quality of the EX series. I do a lot of chroma keying as well and don't have the greatest background and lighting combination. No worries. These cameras are simply phenomenal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]