FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX 3 film look

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tel jaba
EX 3 film look
on Mar 2, 2009 at 10:28:46 am

hey guys

what would be the camera setting in order to get a look as close as possible to film?

I was thinking to use HQ 1920x1080 25p
is that a right choice?

what about movement? is it possible to use the slow/fast motion option on the camera?

thanks in advance for your help

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: EX 3 film look
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:52:08 pm

Hi Tel Jaba-

For the most film-like settings, I recommend the following:

HQ 1920X1080
25p
Shutter angle at 180 degrees (or 1/48)
gain at -3 or 0
cine 1 or cine 2

Regards,

Dave J

Return to posts index

tel jaba
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:35:54 pm

hey Dave thanks for your reply
but I was wondering what is Cine 1 and Cine 2?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 3, 2009 at 5:04:59 pm

The cine settings (cine 1 through cine 4) are preset gamma curves that are part of the picture profile set up. You can find this in the manual starting on page 84. Page 90 actually explains what the differences are between the curves.

Hopefully this helps :o)

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:06:05 pm

The best way you are going to achieve "the film look" is with a good filter.

With my EX-3, I purcased the Tiffen Soft/Efx 1, 2, & 3 filters, and they have helped a lot.

Recently, I purchased the Tiffen Warm Black Pro-Mist 1 & 5 filters that I found on Ebay. I have not tried them yet, but are advertised to specifically address the "film look".

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:34:57 pm

It really depends on what one means by "film look."

There's frame rate - 24p
There's Depth of Field control - can be extended with 35mm adaptor.
There gamma and additional settings which one can use the Picture Profiles for.
Filters as Brian mentions but also Tiffen makes software filters and there's Magic Bullet and Apple Color (if you're on Mac).

"Flim Look" is such a broad term that it boarders on meaningless without some detail as to what it means to the given DP and the given production. It's one thing for Citizen Kane and another for Star Wars and another for Ben Hur.

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:12:41 pm

Not everyone has the same opinion as to what exactly is the "film look". My suggestion would be to do some experimenting with the settings in the camera, 24 fps, etc. Also with filters, lighting, etc. I don't think we're talking about the movement of the film because the sprockets do not fit tightly enough in the sprocket holes of the film, or scratches, etc. (or are we?)

I was brought up in the "film world", having spent about 20 years there before taking the leap into video. I worked in both 16mm and 35mm, and edited on Moviolas, as well as flatbed editing tables such as KEMs. Video has always been too clean and plastic looking for my taste, but that's just me.

If you find a solution to your predicament, please let us know.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:02:44 pm

This is a gross misstatement. Film look, as others have said, is primarily an imitation of film motion which is accomplished by frame rate of 24 and shutter of 1/48th. In addition the modern Hd cameras mimic as best they can the gamma curves of film with their various Cine gamma and Film Look settings, which include gamma, matrtix, detail, knee, etc. The concept that filters create a film look is a marketing device of filter manufacturers.

JS

Return to posts index

william primrose
on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:14:49 am

film look, it's still video, not film, film has it's own fingerprint. HD always made everything look like its science fiction... it is getting better. as for the film look, too many variables, filters, depth of field adapters, lenses, lighting, the list goes on. what we have been doing is experimenting with everything on the camera. testing it all to see what comes out of it, and creating our own fingerprint as best we can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]