FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Audio And Firmware Updates

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Greening
EX1 Audio And Firmware Updates
on Feb 28, 2009 at 8:17:13 pm

Just in case some folks aren't aware, the EX1 firmware update v.1.11 also has audio improvements for those such as myself that have always had issues with certain 3rd party mics. With my first EX1 I never found a mic that would work properly without crackling/distorting, etc. Sony graciously replaced my first EX1 due to other issues but even the newer camera still had these same audio problems.

I had purchased an Audio Technica AT4073A shotgun for my first EX and it never worked right. Sony's official response back then was that there were "grounding issues" with this mic and the EX1. Interestingly enough, both of my EX cameras had the exact same issues with the Sennheiser ME66 and oddly enough, with Sony's own 680 mic which was even worse than my Audio Technica. I spent several hours with the tech guy at my local broadcast supply house as we tried mic after mic with basically the same result each time.

I had heard a rumor that the latest firmware upgrade had some audio fixes and that's the main reason I had Sony do the upgrade. So.......the EX1 firmware upgrade v.1.11 seems to have solved the audio problem, at least with my AT4073A mic. No more crackling or distortion even with the mic's low frequency cut-off switch turned on now and much more audio latitude to work with.

- Don

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
Re: EX1 Audio And Firmware Updates
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:12:33 am

That is interesting Don - what puzzles me is how does a firmware update fix grounding issues? Sounds to me that it was more of a gain problem but who knows how clever Sony is? Maybe the EX series has nanoprobes running around inside doing some re-wiring?

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:37:59 am

[Baz Leffler] "what puzzles me is how does a firmware update fix grounding issues?"

It doesn't, but that's what Sony's original official explanation was with regard to the AT4073A mic. Trouble is, all the other mics myself and the tech guy tested with my camera that day, regardless of the trim settings, resulted in the same issues. The broadcast supply place also had a rental EX1. When they dragged that one out and tested it they discovered that it had the same issues with external mics. We tried several different XLR cables too. They were not amused.

As a footnote, the tech guy at the local Sony repair depot was also aware of my audio issues. Several months ago he listened to my AT4073A/EX1 combo and had no explanation for the poor audio. It was after he sent an inquiry to Sony North America that they came back with the "grounding issue" response.

Anyway, the firmware update seems to have fixed it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Denis Devlin
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:26:58 am

When a clip spans across two SX memory cards, the sony XDCAM Transfer program exports the initial and final clip segments as two distinct quicktime files (on a Mac). These can be pieced together either in the Final Cut timeline or using the QuickTime player. There is no frame interruption at the splice point, just as Sony claims in their documentation and sales literature.

BUT there are two audible clicks in the audio track at the splice! (as heard in the Final Cut sequence timeline - no rendering used because the timeline audio matches the source). The audio glitch is even worse when Quicktime itself has been used to join the segments: several frames after the splice have no audio at all in this case.

My question is: after the firmware upgrade, does a spliced clip still produce audio clicks (or dropouts) - or does the new firmware fix this problem? (Note: my tests are done on a camera with the original firmware).

Return to posts index

Ann Wang
on May 28, 2014 at 1:36:09 am

Hi, I have upgraded the EX1 firmware from 1.0 to 1.26 and the camcorder was having problem after upgrade. It took long time to start up and some other strange behaviors. I then downgraded it to 1.05. Then from 1.10, 1.11, etc. The camcorder is back to normal in terms of start up time and other functions. However, it seems to lost the audio. Audio play back has lots of static noise and only a little bit of real audio recording in very low volume. Does anyone know what is the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ann

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]