FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bp-U60 battery life expectency

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Andrews
Bp-U60 battery life expectency
on Feb 28, 2009 at 6:41:46 pm

I just bought a used BP-U60 and it has had 61 charges.
I wonder how many charges in total can this battery take
before it starts diminishing? Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Bp-U60 battery life expectency
on Feb 28, 2009 at 6:53:06 pm

Typically a NiCad battery is rated at 1000 cycles, but how can you know how many cycles it's had? In general, I frown on buying used batteries, I think it's false economy.

JS

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 28, 2009 at 7:06:13 pm

The PB-U60 batteries are so-called "intelligent" batteries that communicate with the camera. You can call up the battery info on the camera's display and find out how many charging cycles it has under its belt.

I'm not sure how many cycles the BP-U60 is good for but to extend the life of the battery Sony recommends that you don't store the battery fully charged. The BP-U30/60 series batteries are Lithium-Ion.

- Don

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 28, 2009 at 7:11:38 pm

Lithium Ion batteries have a much shorter life cycle than NiCads, I believe about 300. My experience has been they last a day longer than their warranty in regular use.

JS

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 28, 2009 at 7:15:25 pm

[john sharaf] "My experience has been they last a day longer than their warranty in regular use. "

Well said.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2009 at 9:03:10 pm

I'll note in my hunting (even looking at the batter docs) I can find no mention of estimated lifespan or number of charges, only mention of things that might impact longevity.

Back in the days of tape Sony would recommend replacing heads after x number of hours but if you actually spoke to a knowledgeable Sony tech they would say there are so many variables that life would be anywhere from 1/2x to 4x the number listed.

It seems they don't even throw out an estimate or mean/average life expectancy such as after x cycles, charge will decline y percentage.

That said, my F950 battery that I got for my Sony DCR TRV-9 about 10 years ago still held most of its charge when used with my Sony PD-170 a little over a year ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]