FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Sony

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
José Cunha
EX3 Sony
on Feb 23, 2009 at 4:07:40 pm

I recently went to the sony road show in Lisbon,and i was impressed by the new EX3 camera.
Awesome features and innovation as the Cinegamma options,the reaction to light of the new fullHD Exmor Cmos sensors,etc...
I want to buy a camera for docs_institucionals and music videos,but the EX3 , when we are panning , you can see the progressive beats in the image at 1080p of resolution,and for me thats a problem.
The Sony crew advised me to run it at 720p , for less progressive beatment when you are panning?
And the new express memmory cards?
This is a camera that as a native depth of 10 to 14 bits , but due to the memmory limitations,the encoding to mpeg2 gives us a final footage of 8 bits ready to the timeline,with nearly 70 minutes of 1080p footage.Could someone with experience give me a proper advice about this issues? Thank you,José Rodrigues da Cunha.

Freelancer/Post production & Fx

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
Re: EX3 Sony
on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:53:12 pm

Any camera you buy today comes with a set of compromises. Can you live with those compromises- that's entirely up to you and what you plan to do with your footage.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

José Cunha
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:46:49 pm

Thank you Noah Kadner :) see ya

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:07:38 pm

[José Cunha] "I want to buy a camera for docs_institucionals and music videos,but the EX3 , when we are panning , you can see the progressive beats in the image at 1080p of resolution,and for me thats a problem.
The Sony crew advised me to run it at 720p"

Temporal resolution? When shooting progressive you have to watch your pan speed.
1080i60 or 720p60 or 1080i50 or 720p50 for PAL areas.
That'll give you 60 "units" per second.
This has nothing to do specifically with the EX. It's temporal motion.

[José Cunha] "This is a camera that as a native depth of 10 to 14 bits , but due to the memmory limitations,the encoding to mpeg2 gives us a final footage of 8 bits ready to the timeline,with nearly 70 minutes of 1080p footage.Could someone with experience give me a proper advice about this issues? "

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying or if you're mixing facts with misinformation.
The camera records XDCAM which is MPEG2 35mbps VBR 4:2:0. It's 8 bit. Nearly all cameras record 8 Bit. There are ways to get 10 bit. HD-SDI out is 10 bit 4:2:2 Uncompressed but there's been some debate whether 10 bits are actually used vs 8 bits with 2 filler bits.

14 bits might refer to internal processing/rounding but a camera that recorded 14 bits wouldn't be something humans could afford at the moment. I'm not sure if the technology is there yet. That would be some major data pipe for that I'd believe.

Return to posts index

José Cunha
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:44:09 pm

Thank you for the explanation Craig Seeman :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]