FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL 50fps in compressor?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
PAL 50fps in compressor?
on Feb 21, 2009 at 9:32:03 pm

Hi,

I have been tinkering around with my workflow and settings in compressor to try and get the best SD image with the EX1. Being in PAL land, this seems to be shooting in HQ 720/50P. I set my sequence up;
Frame Size; HD 1280 x 720 16:9
Pixel Aspect Ratio; HD 1280 x 720 with Anomorphic 16:9 ticked
Field dominance; none
Editing time base; 50
Compressor; XDCAM EX 720p50 (35mp/s)
And keep my render as source (did try to render in proress422, but having to render before I edit is just too much of a pain).

I must not be matching the settings correctly as I then get the question 'change sequence settings to match the clip settings', which I click yes to.

Export as quick time (not self contained) and select 90 minute DVD in compressor. It doesn't allow me at this stage to change the 25fps to 50 fps which I shot the footage in. This is really frustrating. Does anyone have a solution to this - or a better workflow for me entirely?

I'm a little concerned as even the Vortex Media DVD EX1 training DVD shows some rather dubious looking images (banding and generally not what I would expect from the EX1) At first I thought it was because I was watching it on my PC, but when I tried it in the DVD player in my bedroom, the result was the same.

Please tell me I can get some stunning SD footage from this camera and how!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: PAL 50fps in compressor?
on Feb 22, 2009 at 3:31:08 am

[Olly Lawer] "I have been tinkering around with my workflow and settings in compressor to try and get the best SD image with the EX1. Being in PAL land, this seems to be shooting in HQ 720/50P. I set my sequence up;"
Hi Olly,
Shooting p50 have no much sense, unless you go to make slowmo. And to make slowmo the EX-1 offers you an incredible overcranking.
If you shoot p50 to end up in i50, you are just wasting the half of the information you have recorded.
If you go to SD, my recommendation is that you shoot 720p25 or 1080i25.

[Olly Lawer] "Export as quick time (not self contained) and select 90 minute DVD in compressor. It doesn't allow me at this stage to change the 25fps to 50 fps which I shot the footage in. This is really frustrating. Does anyone have a solution to this - or a better workflow for me entirely?
"

You can make a 720p50 MPEG-2 in Compressor but this is off the specs for a SD DVD.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 22, 2009 at 10:44:37 am

Thank you.

I knew it was going to be a steep learning curve, but it's fun learning and lucky people like yourself are willing to share your expeirence.

I was trying to get rid of the slightly jerky look that 25p gives you. Not all SD DVDs look like this, so I'm wondering how they have achieved it and is it possible with the EX1 - if so, then what are the best settings to use?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 22, 2009 at 12:44:01 pm

Hi Olly,
A problem that I see with p50 is that you are lowering the data per picture in a 50%.
You are using 35Mb (4,37 MB) to write 50 pictures instead of 25.
But without regarding of this, p50 will be great when you will be able to play in p50. Progressive but smooth as the interlaced. Without the staccato of the p25.
If you don't like this jerky look (others look for it), your best solution is i50. The traditional smooth play of the interlaced that will look great in any TV or interlaced monitor. The EX-1 works great in 1080i50.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 22, 2009 at 3:45:11 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I will try this setting. I was looking to shoot progressive as on the Vortex DVD for the EX1, the footage looks better (more film like) - I was looking to keep that look but without the jerking. Can I achieve this look through a picture profile?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 23, 2009 at 2:30:31 am

Hi Olly,
It may be your monitoring what is producing this "jerkiness".
I've been my whole life working with PAL. Now I've decided go Progressive. Good bye to the interlacing. There is no much reason to keep interlaced when most of the people will watch your movie in a computer or any other progressive screen.This also simplify the workflow.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 23, 2009 at 7:29:00 pm

Thanks Rafael,

Your probably right, i'm just looking too much into it and noticing something my clients will not see. Thanks for your help. On another note, your website has some beautiful footage on it. Are you compressing using H264? I cannot seem to get my footage to a low enough to be of usable online.

I set my video to 15 frames, restrict my data rate to 400kbits, go with faster encode, turn frame controls on, Resize filter to better, output fields to progressive, deinterlace to better and rate conversion to better. My file size comes out far to large, but then again, if I change these options down, then the quality is shocking. I will keep experimenting, but any tips you could give would be helpful.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:42:18 am

Hi Olly,
I work a bit different for the web.
I don't like to give to Compressor a full HD or SD movie and get an small H264 or so in the other end.
Normally what I do is to export a .mov Uncompress with the size I want for my web clip. With square pixels and already de-interlaced.
Normally the dowscaling and de-interlacing I do it in FC set to the top quality rendering.
If I'm happy with the small .mov, I just have to transcode it with Compressor or QT.
For the H264 I set 400/600 Kbps depending on the size. Original frame rate and Automatic KeyFrame.
Two passes of course.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]