FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field monitor for EX1?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Field monitor for EX1?
on Feb 21, 2009 at 4:33:21 pm

What are you guys using for a field monitor with the EX1?
What about a larger monitor when you have sit down interviews and AC power?
Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Gustavo Nasr
Re: Field monitor for EX1?
on Feb 22, 2009 at 2:58:40 am

I'm using a Marshall 7" as a field monitor with V-mount batteries. It only has composite, s-video and component inputs/outputs, but I think there is a sdi option available.

I like the results I get, although I noticed that there's a green cast predominance on the image.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Feb 22, 2009 at 4:22:24 pm

I need something that is accurate in color. A green cast won't do. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Feb 23, 2009 at 11:53:31 am

i wouldn't write it off because of what Gustavo said. it's not unusual for monitors to have a bias from the factory. some sony sd monitors used to be a little heavy on the green out of the box. Marshall makes perfectly fine monitors, tho they aren't always as feature-rich as some others.

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:03:44 am

I use one of three different options for viewing my HD material in the field. I will list them, but NOT in ranking order! (I feel obligated to start by saying at one time I owned a 17" Panasonic HD monitor, but it ALWAYS looked green, even after calibrating it! So I was fortunate enough that Band Pro took it back and replaced it with a JVC).

1) JVC 17" HD SDI monitor. This thing has all the inputs you'd ever want, component, composite, SDI (auto sensing). I thought this was the cream of the crop, until I saw monitor number two! I still use this because it has a Porta Brace case built/made/designed for it, with a built in sun shade and it works well outside! It's also AC/DC operable.
2) Sony Luma Series 17" HD monitor. WOW! Is all I can say about the picture! No monitor under the size of 24" is "truly" 1920 x 1080 native. However, even at a smaller pixel size, this thing is amazing! I'd make this my ONLY monitor if someone like Porta Brace, Petrol or Kata made a "run-bag" type monitor case for it that had a built in sun shade and shoulder strap! It is AC/DC operable.
3) Leader 5330. This is the latest toy. It's phenominal! It's not only a 6" monitor, but it's a wave form monitor, vector scope and has some pretty other amazing features designed to help in the field... It can sample two distinctive points in the picture and then give you the difference in their apature ranges! This is great for knowing the dynamic range of your picture. It has a "Zone" metering system that displays exposure in terms of color... similar to Predator, if you've ever seen that movie. And it can give you TRUE RGB values so you know what a composite signal will look like. This one costs more than the rest, but when it's CRITICAL, we reach for this first... more of a calibration and monitoring of tech status than a monitor, but a very good monitor as well!

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F350/700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]