FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam EX1 and timecode lock - no sweat!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baz Leffler
Multicam EX1 and timecode lock - no sweat!
on Feb 21, 2009 at 3:51:47 am

I got an EX 1 and needed to do a multicam shoot. So I hired my colleges who also have EX 1's to work with me. This is how I sunk it all up....

Using an iPhone!

I got an app called 'Slate' from http://www.gravitropic.com

This is a clapper board with a 'sync flash' but more importantly it has a timecode display as 'time of day' locked to international regional time so it is very accurate.

We had 3 camera's in close proximity and prior to shooting while remaining 'buttoned on' each camera got a closeup of the timecode on the iPhone and continued to record the action. The 4th camera was high up on a crane and the operator had his own iPhone with the same app.

When I took it all into post I just parked each clip on a frame where I could read the iPhone's timecode and entered that as the clips timecode position in FCP (you can also do this in Adobe Premiere) and multicam'd away. Incidently this was all edited on a MacBookPro and a Matrox MXO2 and mastered out to HDCAM on the same afternoon of the shoot. And not much grading was needed and it looked like a million dollar production...

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: Multicam EX1 and timecode lock - no sweat!
on Feb 27, 2009 at 2:55:49 am

very cool ap, thanks.

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:07:53 am

Baz,

I'm bummed! I went to your link... and it's no longer valid! I've done similar methods... I have a Deneke TS3 slate in which every camera shot the slate... OR in times when I had a F350 or PDW700 and and EX1 as a second camera, I had the EX shoot either the TC on the other camera directly or shoot a monitor displaying the other camera's TC... then there's a reference point!

I was hoping that company had a Black Berry app too! Are they still in biz?

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F350/700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:26:10 pm

[Curt Pair] "I went to your link... and it's no longer valid!"

Hey Curt - it seems someone decided the link wasn't in the Cow's best interests, why I don't know but if you copy/paste the link you can get there.

Incidently for those Cow people who disabled the link can you PM me and tell me what product it conflicts with that you advertise? I posted this thread as a genuine help for EX 1 users like myself and I have no personal interests in either that product OR Sony.

[Curt Pair] "I have a Deneke TS3 slate in which every camera shot the slate"

I use to use one of those a while ago when shooting digibeta but you sure can't beat a $2.95 iPhone application!

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:52:19 pm

[Baz Leffler] "[Curt Pair] "I went to your link... and it's no longer valid!"

Hey Curt - it seems someone decided the link wasn't in the Cow's best interests, why I don't know but if you copy/paste the link you can get there.

Incidently for those Cow people who disabled the link can you PM me and tell me what product it conflicts with that you advertise? I posted this thread as a genuine help for EX 1 users like myself and I have no personal interests in either that product OR Sony."

Sorry. I didn't do it. Our mechanism requires the full URL... including the http:// part. I'll fix it.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Mistress of Mmmooooo
Join my LinkedIn network
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]