FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overcranking with Compact Flash (EX3)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Tyler
Overcranking with Compact Flash (EX3)
on Feb 16, 2009 at 8:27:58 pm

I've read a few stories of SDHC (compact flash) cards having problems with overcranking (40++fps) in the EX-3.
Has anyone experienced this? Or just another net rumor.

Exact Tech specs are using a 16GB compact flash card in an MxR adapter to replace an SxS card. I'm using SXS cards now and have not encountered the problem. Is this just a small downside to an otherwise handy price fix?

Joe

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Overcranking with Compact Flash (EX3)
on Feb 16, 2009 at 8:44:39 pm

It seems that Sony has limited the use of the operating system for USB based recording for their hard drive recorder that opened the door to SDHC media. So yes there are limits to how much over cranking you can do using the MxR/SDHC combo. If over cranking is a majority of what you do then you need the SxS cards.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 16, 2009 at 8:51:05 pm

SDHC (secure digital high capacity) is not CF or compact flash.
JVC has introduced new solid state media recording cameras using SDHC cards and SxS cards for the 35 Mbps EX codec. They need SDHC class 6 cards and no one knows if they will there are limits to there over cranking.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 17, 2009 at 2:47:20 am

So Michael, do you think there is a chance that the JVC memory cards could be used by the SONY cameras?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:09:27 am

Rafael,
I hope I didn't insinuate that JVC makes any cards as I don't think they do, but if they did put their name on SDHC cards I'm sure it would work in a MxR with an EX camera.

I read Craig's thread and that link he provided on the JVC didn't say that the SxS cards would be needed for over cranking, it is just my guess.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/862845

I was just on location with two EX3's and we shot 19 16gig Transcend class 6 cards and they worked great.
The MxR/SDHC is a wonderful solution to the EX cameras.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:25:35 am

[Michael Palmer] "I hope I didn't insinuate that JVC makes any cards as I don't think they do"
Right. What I meant is that whatever the card used by the JVC this could be used with the EX-1/3.
Those are good news. I'm starting buying some SDHC cards for the readers.
I will reserve the SxS cards I have (3 hours) for overcranking.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:38:15 am

I saw a JVC branded SxS card prototype last year at a trade show in NYC. It's still SxS though. SDHC can already handle data rates far higher than the EX uses. The bottleneck is the EX. The question is whether Sony can resolve this with firmware update or whether JVC has resolved this in their camera. The issue is not the cards though it's whether the camera firmware will handle the throughput. Heck one might ask why can JVC implement a 3 second record buffer using same cards and codec as Sony but Sony hasn't done this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]