FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry Monitor Out - BNC, RCA, S-Video

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Halper
Blurry Monitor Out - BNC, RCA, S-Video
on Feb 15, 2009 at 2:47:51 pm

Hello All,

On occasion, I am called upon to use my Sony EX3 and EX1 cameras for a Live-To-IMAG production using standard definition video.

I have found the Standard Def image is blurry via the Composite RCA, BNC and S-Video outputs. This is a common problem on my brand new EX1 / EX3, as well as rental units I have used. Yet, I can't find a single reference to this issue online. It is a camera issue as I have tested it using projectors and regular TV monitors.

My sales guy said it was a common issue and that Sony simply didn't invest in a good downconverter. But again... I can't find any other user complaining about this and I figure this would be a biggie.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and if there is a solution?

The Standard Def component appears to be clear... so is there a way to convert component into a composite signal?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Blurry Monitor Out - BNC, RCA, S-Video
on Feb 15, 2009 at 3:17:48 pm

I'd go HD-SDI out and use a higher quality outboard downconvertor instead. Sony never said this was a good SD camera.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:53:44 pm

Chris,

I think the quality of the SD video outs are so bad that I wonder why Sony even bothered to put them there.

Every now and then I have to videotape a lengthy seminar or live event for which HD is overkill. I'd like to be able to play the clips back thru the HD-SDI out... into a downconverting "box..." and capture as SD material to save time in the conversion process. I can ingest either into my laptop (thru firewire?), or into my G5 with my AJA IO. Any lower-cost, high-quality HD-SDI downconverter recommendations for this purpose? And is audio embedded in the HD-SDI signal?

In advance, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bob O'Brien
Video Design

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:17:27 pm

[Bob O'Brien] "And is audio embedded in the HD-SDI signal? "

Yes it is, along with the time code.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:34:00 pm

[Bob O'Brien] "Any lower-cost, high-quality HD-SDI downconverter recommendations for this purpose?"

Matrox MXO2

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:58:38 am

The component output is supposed to be 800 lines. Maybe try that.

Bob

Return to posts index

Chris Halper
on Feb 20, 2009 at 4:24:45 am

Thanks for the replies.

Still, I am surprised no one has made a larger issue of this problem on the net. It looks like people are just taking it or have truly made the transition to a complete HD workflow.

I have rented two Extron sdi to analog converters for my IMAG gig this weekend. Affordable enough to be a solution until the AV companies go HD.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]