FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC HM700 XDCAM EX Camera details

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
JVC HM700 XDCAM EX Camera details
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:35:06 pm

JVC HM700

I'm posting this here because, while not Sony, it's definitely XDCAM EX camera. It'll record to .MOV or .MP4. 1/3" CCD. List price $7,995 which was close to the EX1 list.

Some interesting things to note compared to Sony EX series:
With optional SxS Media Recorder it'll record to SxS and SDHC simultaneously for archive.
Has Pre-Record Cache up to 3 seconds (2.9 in NTSC frame rates).
4 Mode Spot Exposure Meter in which user can select which part of scene to monitor in manual mode.
Supposedly FAST Focus Assist.
Optional Remote offering full paint features.
Over/Under Crank but it's not clear if that requires SxS or whether it can be done to SDHC.

So it certainly has features the EX series does not have.

Pics Here

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: JVC HM700 XDCAM EX Camera details
on Feb 15, 2009 at 3:51:51 am

Hi Craig,
For me looks awesome.
I really miss a camera that you really can balance in your shoulder. No need to use the tripod so much and let you the hands free to manage the camera instead of just holding it. Interchangeable lenses and cheap memory cards.
I want the JVC with my EX-1 CMOS;-)
I like JVC. I think they are quite honest and build their stuff to last and at correct prices.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:16:11 am

Thanks for posting this Craig, Rafael just alerted me to this.

Why is everyone putting out more 1/3" chip cameras? Depth of Field?

I think this camera would do much better if it was 1/2".

4 mode spot meter! Very Nice.

Doesn't do 60p.

Pre-record Cache rocks! Every solid state camera needs this! I predict that even the cheapos will have this as standard issue in 2 more years.

I think it is really cool that it is recording to .mov files, it would also be cool if FCP just accepted the *.mp4 wrapper (Apple are you listening).

We are about to buy an EX1 and I would have second guessed myself if this camera had an 1/2" chip. We will be doing a lot of keying and want to get nice keys for the new era of big screen HD broadcast. I can't bring myself to buy a 1/3" camera for this when 1/2" is here in a affordable EX1 that can pull some amazing keys natively and more so when captured uncompressed to ProRes HQ.

Has some pretty cool features, now it just needs a bigger full raster chip.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:35:29 am

[Elijah Lynn] "Why is everyone putting out more 1/3" chip cameras? Depth of Field?

I think this camera would do much better if it was 1/2".
"

Technical reasons for 1/3" if you're making small cameras. CMOS generates less heat than CCD so they can fit it in a smaller body which is why EX series is CMOS. If you want 1/2" CCD you'd be looking at F335 or F355.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an EX5 shoulder mount 1/2" CMOS camera at NAB. You want bigger chips in a small camera, there's CMOS. You want CCD in the same size cameras there's 1/3"

CMOS and CCD each have pluses and minuses so now you have a choice There are two CCD based XDCAM EX cameras from JVC (1/4" and 1/3") or two CMOS based XDCAM EX cameras from Sony (1/2") and I strongly suspect NAB will bring a new XDCAM EX camera from Sony. My guess it'll be full shoulder mount. Heck they may find at full shoulder size they can get 2/3" chip CMOS into something the size of an F355. Maybe 50mbps VBR 4:2:2 codec too but that would compete with PDW-700. That's not out of the question though given that EX and XDCAM disc cameras currently coexist too.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 17, 2009 at 6:41:16 am

[Craig Seeman] "My guess it'll be full shoulder mount. Heck they may find at full shoulder size they can get 2/3" chip CMOS into something the size of an F355. Maybe 50mbps VBR 4:2:2 codec too but that would compete with PDW-700. That's not out of the question though given that EX and XDCAM disc cameras currently coexist too."

Now that is the kind of progressive change we want to see! i still adore the AVC Intra codec and it's specs but I just cannot ignore how beautiful the footage looks with the 1/2" CMOS. I have heard so many wonderful things about it's keying qualities as well. I was highly geared up to purchase a Panasonic HPX-170 and then maybe even the HMC-150 but now am fully sold on the EX1 and we should be getting ours in the next couple weeks. I cannot wait to start keying with the EX1, I have had such headaches with the chroma smoothing/left to right edge crust on the XL2.

The JVC has some slick features. Would be nice if the EX1 upgraded to have a Pre-roll function.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 19, 2009 at 3:31:42 pm

So, what I want is a kind of JVC with an 1/2' CMOS and the Nano-Flash embed in the camera body.
So difficult?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2009 at 7:38:36 pm

BTW I just read a hands on review of the preproduction model.

It DOES Overcrank to SDHC unlike the EX series apparently.

I do hope Sony comes out with another firmware upgrade ASAP.
I want 3 second Pre-Record Cache and Overcrank on SDHC.
There's certainly a lot to like about the HM700 but I don't want to give up 1/2" chips though.

It seems to record to mov natively and only records mp4 if one gets the optional SxS recorder. With that you can record to both SxS and SDHC simultaneously which means your back up is done (inexpensive SDHC) and your file is ready to import into FCP (already .mov).

Apparently Perian (Quicktime plugin) is working on free XDCAM codec support so various NLEs would handle the .mov natively.

It's really good to the EX family expanding. It's good to see that Sony is sharing this technology.

Return to posts index

Martin Duffy
JVC v Sony XDcam EX1R
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:20:34 am

Hi all

We just purchased a brand new Sony EX1R and must say we are disapointed.

The Zoom rocker on these EX cams is nothing short of very average.

Compared to many other Pro cameras they are surely "B" class.

These cams simply do not can't do a ultra fast or slow zoom and hows this the ultra slow zoom has a slight jerk at the start of the zoom before (after a split second) going into its so called slow zoom mode.

Why is it that my old Panasonic DVC62 has what I would call acceptable zoom speeds yet the EX range does not.

We are considering swapping to JVC or maye Panasonic as what Sony dishes up is so often and definatly in this case pathetic.

Any suggestions on which JVC cams to go for? Ideally we are after a large shoulder mount that would match in with a smaller hand held version.

We do alot of sport, dance/theatre events/weddings and corportate videos.

Regards

Martin
Australia

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: JVC v Sony XDcam EX1R
on Dec 7, 2010 at 3:45:08 pm

Somewhere is the Menu you can control the top zoom control and I topically set the Low setting to 2 and High setting to 5-6.

If you want info on JVC go to there forum page.

IMO you purchased the right camera.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Martin Duffy
Re: JVC v Sony XDcam EX1R
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:08:48 pm

As a creative filmmaker I need a camera that allows me to do creative zooms at will.

The fact the ex range does not allow you to do this brands it a dud in my eyes.

The ex3 is worst of all and there are many frustrated ex users experiencing th same problems.

Yes the ex range has nice pics but for the cradtman who needs to do more than plonk a camera on a tripod and hit record well then these cams are duds.

Many professionals in the industry simply won't touch them.
I would be happy with the Ed range if the slow creep on the zoom was slow and not jerky. It's that simple

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]