FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for a beginner

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Thomas
Advice for a beginner
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:27:38 pm

So I'm getting ready to shoot with the EX1 and it's my first foray into the world of tapeless production. I'm a little nervous about it - just because it's different. Does anyone have any general advice?

We're going to shoot 720 30p and transfer files to a hard drive on set. It will be cut in FCP and the intended output is DVD.

RJ Thomas

Return to posts index

Ronald Thomas
Re: Advice for a beginner
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:36:14 pm

BTW - I'm not a beginner in production - so I'm really just looking for advice specific to this camera.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 10, 2009 at 9:08:09 pm

Use ClipBrowser 2 to copy files from cards.
Alternatively buy ShotPut.

Back up BPAV as camera masters to whatever makes you feel comfortable. Some use two hard drives. Others will burn one set to optical disk (DVD, DVD-DL, Blu-ray).

On Mac use XDCAM Transfer 2.8 to re-wrap to MOV. Always make sure all BPAV have been added. Then you just use Select All and Import All to ensure all spanned and split clips are re-wrapped and joined.

If you're using laptop in the field make sure you've installed the drives to use the SxS cards in the Express slot. Very important you have the latest fix if you're using a late 2008 MacBookPro.

Make sure you have FCP 6.0.2 and up (currently 6.0.5).

If you have EX1 with firmware 1.11 (HIGHLY recommended) you can use MxR adaptor and either Transcend Class 6 or Sandisk Ultra/Extreme SDHC cards (either 16GB or 32GB). 16GB can be affordable enough to save. Two Sandisk 32GB can give you close to 4 hours of record time. For me that's piece of mind not having to bring laptop to location or trying to offload during a shoot.

Return to posts index

Ronald Thomas
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:01:07 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:39:41 am

Grab my EX1 DVD too- it will help you get up to speed in a big hurry:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/sony-guidebook-p-39.html

:)

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mark Lenik
on Feb 21, 2009 at 6:55:58 pm

Hi Ronald,

I too recently bought the EX1, what a great camera!

Still working my round it,

I bought the training dvd 'Mastering the Sony PMW - EX1' A COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE CAMCORDER AND THE XDCAM EX WORKFLOW, by VORTEX MEDIA.

It really helped and doesnt leave out anything at all, it answers any questions you might have and give you extra tips on picture profiles, stop motion, under/over cranking, time lapses.

Im done with it now so am looking to sell it, this is a genuine copy and i paid £100 for it a few weeks ago, will sell it for £75

If you are interested let me know and i will give you my paypal details, or if you want i will put it up on Ebay and give you the details so you can buy it (if your worried about protection etc)

Anyway let me know

All the best

Mark

Return to posts index

David McGuire
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:47:29 am

Hi Mark

Im interested in the dvd. I just picked up my EX1 for the first shoot.

thanks

d

David McGuire
Seastewards.org
Media for a Healthy Ocean

Return to posts index

Mark Lenik
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:58:38 pm

THATS GREAT!

How do you want to go about buying it?Do want to post out a cheque, or would you rather do it via paypal or do you want me to put it as a listing on ebay and buy it that way?Whatever is easiest really.

Once i recive payment i will psot it straight out to you. If you want to check out my website (for you peace of mind in buying from me)they are http://www.lenikmedia.com and http://www.lenikweddingfilms.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

All the best

Mark

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:15:54 am

Thomas,

If you are "outputting" to DVD, I'd recommend OVER SAMPLING your shot footage to 1080! Remember the ONLY two entities in the world BROADCASTING 720 footage is Fox and ABC (all aspects, even ESPN, Disney, etc.)... ABC is in the process of converting to 1080 or beyond (think 4K!)

This is why Panasonic has jumped out of the 720 business! Things are better in 1080!

Your finished piece will look SO MUCH better if orginated in the cameras maxium resolution! Don't sell your self short... you'll be happier in the long run! (shoot 1080, 30p!)

And yes, pick up Vortex Media's DVD if you are an operator type guy, and not so technical or Call Box's DVD if you're more of the techie type dude...

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F350/700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]