FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX 1 Autofocus and Filters

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Thomas
EX 1 Autofocus and Filters
on Feb 10, 2009 at 6:47:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this. I'm using the EX1 for the first time and was wondering how the autofocus is affected by diffusion filters. Specifically, we'll probably use a tiffen soft fx 2 or 3. I should be fine pulling my own focus most of the time, but there will be times when the autofocus will be a big help. Any thoughts?

RJ Thomas

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX 1 Autofocus and Filters
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:01:35 pm

Shouldn't be affected at all. Also you shouldn't be using autofocus ever. Unless you like that 'searching for focus' amateur video look of course. :) Read into the manual about the manual focus assisted mode for the best look.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX 1 Autofocus and Filters
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:02:49 pm

[Ronald Thomas] "Any thoughts? "

Yes. Although I can't advise you because I've no experience with heavy FX filters on the EX cameras, my reaction to your intention is to caution against using anything but a UV/protector filter or a IR filter if the situation requires it. My reasoning is because these days you can do so much to your picture in post production that it's better to shoot clean instead, thus giving you the most options and leeway after the fact. I think FX filters are a hold over from the days before NLE's evolved to what they are today. This is, of course, just my personal opinion.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]