FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX Clip transfer and viewing on older Mac

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Ransom
EX Clip transfer and viewing on older Mac
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:37:26 pm

Friends
I have an Ibook G4(not Intel) and am looking for a solution to transfer clips from SxS cards using a Sony External Card Reader(USB) through my older computer...to an external hard drive to send to clients.

Sony Clip Browser will download to my computer....but not launch(needs Intel). I am told the XDTransfer software will download AND launch on my system...but I have not tried this solution yet. If it will...can I then hope to view clips(confirm) after transfer to portable hard drive?

Any help for this guy who is hoping not to have to upgrade to Macbook Pro...FCP....and Intel for awhile yet?

Scott Ransom

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX Clip transfer and viewing on older Mac
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:30:45 pm

XDCAM Transfer will work on a PPC Mac BUT you need the XDCAM EX codec installed to actually see the video in the clips which you will not have unless you have FCP 6.0.2 and up on that system. XDCAM Transfer is used for rewrapping clips to MOV, not copying clips from SxS cards (unless you are simply rewrapping to MOV and tossing the BPAV away - NOT RECOMMENDED!)

ShotPut will work on PPC Mac for copying BPAV
http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_EXpress.html
It's not a player though. It's probably the best tool for copying BPAV on PPC Macs.

To put it succinctly, Use Shotput to Copy and use VLC to view the clips on PPC Mac without Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:34:10 pm

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Creative COW.

Sony's Transfer Tool app. is a universal binary that works on both Intel and PowerPC Macs so it should be fine on your older G4 notebook. The important thing to remember as you collect the various pieces of hardware and software to do what you want is that:

• 1. The XDCAM EX codecs reside with Final Cut Pro and not Quicktime Player or The Sony Transfer Tool.
  • 2. You still need the proper codecs to view EX footage transferred to your G4.
  • 3. Thankfully there is 3rd party software for purchase that contains the codecs you need:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

Check the system requirements for all the software you will be assembling to make sure your G4 notebook meets them.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:59:36 pm

OSX REQUIREMENTS
Mac Intel with OSX 10.4(Tiger) or 10.5(Leopard)

CalibratedQ only works on Intel Macs.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 6, 2009 at 6:10:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "CalibratedQ only works on Intel Macs."

Sorry, my mistake. I should have remembered that.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 6, 2009 at 7:30:32 pm

My own thinking is that G4 is going to be kinda rough to deal with.
VLC might struggle to play the clips.
I suspect G4 wouldn't be too much of a hamper for ShotPut though.
Keep in mind he asked about an iBook, not even a PowerBook G4.
ShotPut specs do mention PowerMac (I'm not sure if iBook was considered PowerMac, were all PowerPC Mac considered PowerMacs?), OSX 10.4, 512 MB Ram 16GB free disc space.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 6, 2009 at 7:47:01 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Keep in mind he asked about an iBook, not even a PowerBook G4. "

I'm not being very observant today. I would suspect that all the O.P. can do is give it a try. Either the iBook will handle everything or it won't. If it doesn't at least the software will be transferable to a newer Mac laptop if Scott is willing to spend a bit of cash.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]