FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Standard" rate for professional HD photography using the EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofer Levy
"Standard" rate for professional HD photography using the EX3
on Feb 6, 2009 at 1:47:22 pm

Hi all,

Got an offer to do wildlife filming for a serious international production company using my EX3.
How much is the "standard" rate? How do I charge - per day? Per minutes of footage? etc'
Also, they would like to keep all the rights so I guess this should effect my fee.

Anyone with some real experience - please drop a few lines.

Thanks!

http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
Re: "Standard" rate for professional HD photography using the EX3
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:29:10 pm

are you asking about a standard rate for equipment? i'd look at prices rental houses are charging, but you also have to factor in more than just the camera for equipment charges. most folks have a rate for their whole package. it's usually a day rate, but even rental houses will offer a deal on a number of days.

as a hired gun, i've never seen rights affect rate. if you want to license footage, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:43:26 pm

There's a rental house close to us that has a $350.00 CDN day rate for an EX3. Perhaps you can use this figure for a baseline idea of what you want to charge. I don't know if I would charge "per minute of footage" if I were in your situation. I think it would depend more on how difficult it would be to get certain types of subject matter that you've been hired to acquire e.g. it's probably less time and money to get footage of a crow than it is to get a snow leopard in the Himalayas.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Feb 6, 2009 at 7:04:11 pm

Hi Ofer-

You would almost always charge a day rate (or half day rate). Since you are being hired along with your camera, I would charge one rate for both (a package deal). As everyone will tell you, rates can vary depending on a lot of things, but generally, from what you've described, you should charge about $500-$600/day for you and your camera, plus mileage if you have to use your own car.

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Feb 6, 2009 at 7:16:41 pm

given the events around the world these days, David Jones may be giving you a good number. there is no "standard," it's what the market will bear. but i wouldn't start with a number that low. certainly not with gear.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Feb 6, 2009 at 8:18:39 pm

We charge 150 per hour with a 3 hour minimum for just shooting alone and handing them the footaqe.. However, several times I have even edited the footage down at no charge when the times were tough.

Speaking of tough times the economic down turm has almost turned off any opportunities for shooting...... It seems to be really working on video production in my area.

Hope your gig turns out to be good for you and your client.

Ronnie Martin
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ofer Levy
on Feb 6, 2009 at 9:39:52 pm

Thank you for your input guys! It gives me some excellent ideas as to how to approach this.
Highly appreciated!
Cheers,

Ofer

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Feb 7, 2009 at 2:30:08 am

Not sure what market or country you're in, but in the U.S. our rate for a two person crew and simple EX-3 camera package with a couple of RF's is $1,250. Half day rate is $950 for 5 hrs. I would imagine a one person shoot would be $950, but we only work as a team, so not sure about that.

Hope this helps.

jw
http://www.bennett-watt.com

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina"

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Feb 14, 2009 at 10:19:46 pm

I would charge in the $750-$900 a day range. The skills stay the same and so does the other gear.
I normally charge $1000 a day for Betacam SP, so a little discount for a cheaper camera (although with better imaging) would make sense to me.
Of course, you have the issue of handing off the footage to deal with.

Bob

Return to posts index

James Pembroke
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:12:14 pm

The cost per day in Ireland for a wildlife camera person with a Sony EX3 and 35mm 70 – 300 zoom lens is €750 euro a day plus milage and overnight etc, and you give the client his copy of the footage but you hold the copyright to your footage which goes into your wildlife archive library for later use.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:55:48 pm

That's about $974.40 US Dollars.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]