FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Firmware Upgrade Available Now

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zwicker
EX3 Firmware Upgrade Available Now
on Feb 6, 2009 at 1:37:48 pm

FYI.
I had my EX3 in for repair and the tech did a firmware upgrade to correct the lens backfocus issue that sometimes rears it's ugly.
If I owned another I would send it in before I found myself without a working lens.
This is covered under your warranty.

That camera sat at Sony for a nearly a month before I got it back. Parts backordered and lots of cameras in line.
Seems there is quite a backlog of EX3's in for repair.

Things like people lifting the tripod by the camera handle and busting the bottom plate off. These are NOT cameras that can take a hit. The shoulder rest bends easily and my battery release compartment took a hit and broke the release mechanism.
I did not have it at the time so I am not sure how it occurred.

Needless to say it's not your $30,000 camera that can take a hit and survive.
Be careful out there.
Not b-tchin about the camera here, just passing on info.
Love the look of my camera. I really was not expecting a camera for under $10,000 to take wear and tear like the big boys.

Now go and get that upgrade scheduled and be prepared for a wait.
My camera did in fact have the backfocus issue occur when it was rented out. It did correct itself sometime later.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: EX3 Firmware Upgrade Available Now
on Feb 6, 2009 at 2:19:46 pm

"Things like people lifting the tripod by the camera handle and busting the bottom plate off. These are NOT cameras that can take a hit. The shoulder rest bends easily and my battery release compartment took a hit and broke the release mechanism."

When I left television (with its bulky, but durable ENG gear) and came to my current job shooting on Canon XL series cameras, that was the hardest thing to get used to: the durability just isn't there. I found myself constantly tip-toeing around fragile connectors and plastic parts!

Being a bit of the "careful" sort, I find it frustrating when someone brings back the camera and "dunno why it won't stay on the tripod". Then I spend the day fabricating aluminum to replace torn-out tripod mount threads so the camera can fly out of state in two days! Granted, I like being paid to play with metal in my garage...but durable gear would be fantastic, too.

I consider the EX-1 and EX-3 (we have both) to be a pro cam in a prosumer chassis. I'm friends with the chief news videographer at the dominant local TV station, and he's been using an EX-1 for ENG. It just isn't what he's used to for durability, ability to operate with gloves, and that sort of thing. Granted, it doesn't cost $30k. No complaint about the price, so I suppose we waive the right to complain on the rest :-)

For the person who's more meticulous in the care of their equipment, I find the EX series fantastic. I wouldn't mind being able to flash firmware upgrades myself, especially being in the geographical center of North America; that, combined with North Dakota's rural configuration, make us several UPS days from everywhere!

Cf

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on Feb 6, 2009 at 5:52:49 pm

I really liken our EX3s as laptops, not cameras.

Basically the same construction and weight,
and almost the same on the inside! :)

Will Griffith
Producer

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Feb 8, 2009 at 2:44:31 pm

I was really appalled by the tripod mount on the EX3 I posted about it a few months back.

I got this plate and Toe Piece for VCT-24 and VCT-U14:

http://www.vfgadgets.com/grip-camera/ex3-heavy-duty-base-plate-system

From Canada and it completely solves the problem, and now I use my old Sony VCT-24 base on my miller solo sticks.

I also made an additional side plate to hold wireless mikes, I will post a photo later.

Now the EX3 has a rugged feel and true quick snap-in for the fluid head.

After hauling BetaCams and DSR500 around for years I love these new lighter cams, and the quality of the footage is astounding.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]