FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring FCP to XDCAM disc? / Using XDCAM for file storage?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Zuzolo
Transferring FCP to XDCAM disc? / Using XDCAM for file storage?
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:45:32 pm

I may be way off base here, but is it possible to use the "print to tape" function in Final Cut Pro to go directly out to the PDW-F75 XDCAM deck? I'm assuming that since FCP requires the XDCAM Transfer software that the two will not talk to each other. Correct? But the deck does have a record button, so I would think it is possible to record footage via firewire. Can it be done via FCP?

The other question I have is how can you use an XDCAM disc for storage backup? Will it only accept MXF files? Is it at all possible to drag files off the internal hard drive onto the disc icon on the desktop?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Transferring FCP to XDCAM disc? / Using XDCAM for file storage?
on Feb 5, 2009 at 6:24:17 pm

I'd tend to doubt it would work as a print to tape function directly from FCP. Why not just save off to a hard drive, Blu-Ray disc or get a nice LTO solution? Then you're not stuck with an expensive, proprietary format for your archives.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Feb 5, 2009 at 6:26:58 pm

You can only use the Sony XDCam transfer software to write directly to the PDW-F75. You can, however, set the F75 to work with machine control and output SD DVCam video to FCP. In the menu, change "Interface select/i.link mode" to AV/C instead of FAM. You can then use FCP to control the deck through the firewire. However, it's my understanding that it's Standard Def and playback only.

Sony has been promising to allow us to use the XDCam disks for storage like 50gb hard drives. However, the latest I've seen is that the upgrades have been pushed back to this summer. Right now, you only have a 500mb "General" folder that you can write to.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Feb 5, 2009 at 6:30:08 pm

By the way, we're using an AJA IOHD box between FCP and the PDW-F75. It's firewire into the IOHD box, and SDI into the F75. That way, we can use print to video and record it on the deck. The AJA IOHD is a tremendous help for monitoring, up/down conversions, and more.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:06:56 pm

Mitch is right. The deck is an MPEG HD recording device ... you can only "record" in MPEG HD. You can playback any XDCAM content from the deck as DV over the Firewire connection but you cannot "record" an input signal as DV or anything else via that same connection. The only way to get non MPEG HD footage onto a disc in the deck is through file transfer. If you want to use the deck to record MPEG HD then you can hook it up to any I/O card or device just as you would any other pro deck. Works great with the Matrox MXO or MXO2.
Best
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]