FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 Footage Issue - I only have the clips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Millians
EX-1 Footage Issue - I only have the clips
on Feb 3, 2009 at 8:33:54 am

Thanks in advance for any help.

I teach at a school in Singapore and have had my students shooting on the EX-1 for the first time. We only have 8gb cards so there was no way for them to avoid filling up their card before returning to school after the weekend. Therefore, they were going to have to back up on set. I had advised them to just pull the entire BPAV folder off the card and store in a folder labelled Roll 1 and then repeat the process however many times they needed, making sure to create new folders (Roll 2, Roll 3, etc) each time. I wasn't reinventing the wheel but I felt this would work out. I had testing this method with the XDCAM transfer software and there were no issues loading all of the rolls.

Well, one group was a bit too ambitious and decided to work things out on their own. They pulled of the BPAV folder in its entirety the first time but every time after that, they just dragged the clips alone off the SxS card and saved them in the CLIPR folder in the first BPAV folder. Now, XDCAM Transfer can only recognize the first clips that were dragged over. (I assume because the original XML files only reference those clips.)

The XDCAM Clip Browser registers all of the clips so they're all there - I just don't know how to get them into FCP or convert them.

Is there a way to make them register in the XDCAM Transfer app at this point? My other solution was to export them straight from the XDCAM Clip Browser but I'm unsure what setting to use (MXF for?).

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Andrew Millians
Re: EX-1 Footage Issue - I only have the clips
on Feb 3, 2009 at 2:31:15 pm

I managed to find a couple earlier threads that were similar this mine. I'm currently looking into the ffmpeg & episode pro solution. Does anyone know if this will result any image loss or problems sharing the same timeline as XDCAM footage that did not need to be recovered?

Is there any solutions using MXF files. I have to admit I'm not editor so I'm a bit clueless at the moment regarding how to use them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 3, 2009 at 5:33:56 pm

[Andrew Millians] " had advised them to just pull the entire BPAV folder off the card and store in a folder labelled Roll 1 and then repeat the process however many times they needed, making sure to create new folders (Roll 2, Roll 3, etc) each time. "

Good advice! I strongly recommend ClipBrowser (they use date/time folder name) for its CRC checking but your organizing methodology is correct. BPAV in separate named folders. Do consider ClipBrowser (or ShotPut) as it's the safer way to go.

[Andrew Millians] "but every time after that, they just dragged the clips alone off the SxS card and saved them in the CLIPR folder in the first BPAV folder. Now, XDCAM Transfer can only recognize the first clips that were dragged over. (I assume because the original XML files only reference those clips.)
"

I hope you grade them accordingly. I'd let them suffer through trying to figure out a solution. That'll teach them a lesson. Tell them to do the research and explain why the victimized client will go elsewhere or their project will more likely miss a deadline.

[Andrew Millians] "Now, XDCAM Transfer can only recognize the first clips that were dragged over. (I assume because the original XML files only reference those clips.)

The XDCAM Clip Browser registers all of the clips so they're all there - I just don't know how to get them into FCP or convert them.

Is there a way to make them register in the XDCAM Transfer app at this point? My other solution was to export them straight from the XDCAM Clip Browser but I'm unsure what setting to use (MXF for?).
"

If you import the orphaned MP4 files into ClipBrowser it'll create a new BPAV folder. I understand that XDCAM Transfer will now handle orphaned MP4 as well. You need to separate them from the BPAV folder which does not have the proper metadata.

You MUST have ClipBrowser2 and XDCAM Transfer 2.8. Update both if you don't.

I would not rescue the students. Let the ones who blew it discover through a homework assign and grade on who found the solution as a way to "rescue" their grade. Again the best way with current software is to let ClipBrowser and/or XDCAM Transfer handle it after they separate the MP4 files. There's no longer an need to re-encode files. Let the students learn by searching because that's exactly what they'll experience in the job world. DUMB mistakes COST and they need to get that in a big way.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11:40 pm

I agree: this is a teachable moment. In my experience, kids coming out of school these days have little, if any, useful workflow skills. This is an excellent challenge for them, one they'll grow to appreciate if they stay in the business. It's also a good illustration about why they should follow your instructions! :-)

I'm not saying you should hang them out to dry, but if they're unable to find a solution without you helping them a long a little, maybe you can demonstrate how useful the online community is in finding a solution. There are thousands of helpful professionals online who are generous with their time and knowledge to help a person in need. You could tell them to search online for the solution, or just show them how you came to the COW to find an answer.

Cf

Return to posts index

Andrew Millians
on Feb 3, 2009 at 11:39:18 pm

Thanks for the help and advice. I didn't know this was a feature of version 2.8. I'll try it out later.

I have to admit I left the student twisting in the wind a bit. I had covered this aspect of the workflow on two separate occasions to make sure they realized the importance but this student decided to be a bit too clever. I'm not trying to traumatize her but I have more groups going out this weekend and I don't want them playing fast and loose with their footage either.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 3, 2009 at 11:48:18 pm

Andrew,

The only way your students will "get it" is if you compare the BPAV folder to a video tape. Ask your kids if they would throw a video tape away after they've captured it to a hard drive via an NLE. When they say no then impress upon them that the BPAV folder is the the EX camera's video tape.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2009 at 12:25:18 am

And to add to Don's example apropos pulling the MP4 out of the BPAV and stuffing them someplace else.

If they shot on miniDV (or Beta or whatever) would it be "clever" to smash the tape shell, unspool the tape and toss that in to a box? Like you only need the video tape and not the shell that holds the whole thing together?

If you really want them to remember the experience you can even physically take apart a miniDV tape toss them the tape and simply say "play it." Then when the acknowledge they need case, toss them that and say, "sure put it back together."

If this bugs them (and it should) tell them that's just what they did to the file and if they think they're bugged think about the client who just spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on the shoot.

And if really want to learn about their reasoning (actually for them to learn about their reasoning and it's flaws) ask them WHY they thought dismembering the file was the right thing to do. You have to teach them how to "reason" through things rather than just learning by rote.

It's not about being rough on the kids it's that this is a business survival skill.

In my years in this business I've picked up quite a few jobs cleaning up someone else's mess. The sad thing about it is the person who made that mess lost the job and the client and maybe their paycheck entirely if an employer suffered the loss. The kids have to learn both the HOW and the WHY and HOW TO THINK when faced with new technology. Education has to teach them how to point the camera but how to keep their jobs by understanding that camera is not only a creative tool but a piece of technology.

Return to posts index

Andrew Millians
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:25:01 am

I just took some of my footage and was able to drop the individual clip folders into XDCAM Transfer and export the mov file. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Its odd that no mention of this ability is made in the user guide (that I could find). It'll be time-consuming for the students but they'll have learned their lesson.

Thanks also for the graphic illustrations of the importance of taking care of your media. I put together an in-depth FAQ for the camera and the workflow as my class is the first to use any tapeless media in the school but they admitted to never having referenced it. I will be reading your comments to the class as you've also put into context perfectly.

Thanks again.

BTW - I know it has its issues but this camera has made my job as a teacher so much easier - the onboard features. the ability to screen footage in class at the touch of a button, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]