FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sandisk Ultra II - Class 4 or Class2?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Sandisk Ultra II - Class 4 or Class2?
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:16:58 pm

I've been shopping for Sandisk 16-gig SDHC cards, and some photos on the various web sites show the label with a 2 (Class 2) and some with a 4 (Class 4). It is even shown both ways in different places on the Sandisk web site. Everything else on the labels are identical. I was going to order from Dell, but then I read a customer review that said he ordered the card, which is shown as a Class 4, but he received a Class 2 instead. Does it matter?

Has anyone purchased from BlueProton (through Amazon)? They are advertising it at $36.49. Class 2 on the label.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sandisk Ultra II - Class 4 or Class2?
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:41:24 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "'ve been shopping for Sandisk 16-gig SDHC cards, and some photos on the various web sites show the label with a 2 (Class 2) and some with a 4 (Class 4). It is even shown both ways in different places on the Sandisk web site. Everything else on the labels are identical."

This is a Sandisk marketing issues. Sandisk Ultra 2 cards now show as Class 2. They work just fine. The speeds needed for the EX are well beyond what Class 6 is.

Many people have been testing with everything imaginable. Right now Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III/IV cards work with no advantage for Extreme. Transcend Class 6 works. I've heard Kingston Class 6 works but I don't hear of many people using that. Anything else and you need to test and will likely find failure.

[Chris Babbitt] "Has anyone purchased from BlueProton (through Amazon)? They are advertising it at $36.49. Class 2 on the label.
"

Why go through that hassle when you can get Transcend Class 6 for around $30? Feel free to experiment if you have the time to buy and return (and time is money as well as shipping).

What you need to know is the sustained write speed for the card. Sandisk Ultra II packaging says 9MB/s. My own test is just over 8MB/s. The Class designation doesn't have much accuracy tied to it.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Sandisk Ultra II - Class 4 or Class2?
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:56:00 pm

Thanks Craig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]