FORUMS: list search recent posts

orphan files plus heads-up on Seagate drives

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen May
orphan files plus heads-up on Seagate drives
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:22:16 pm

Hi all - I haven't been very active here in a long while, but I need to post two things. First, even after all this time, I still sometimes have issues with orphan SxS files - where the recorded clip extends from one card in slotA over to the second card in slotB.

I've never used the technique where many of you have mentioned copying the entire BPAV folder until this morning just befor shooting on the hill. I used my Macbook Pro at home to ingest two cards; a 16GB Sony that was full including a long doc that extended over to another Sony 8GB SxS card. I named the clip on the 16GB card and assumed it would grab the other half and join it together after I mounted the 8GB card, but it didn't. The clip ended early. Knowing I needed these cards, I didn't have time to copy the BPAV folder from the 16GB card, but I copied the 8GB card, which is the part of the clip that didn't come in. If I've explained this properly, what would you guys recommend in order to get the second half of the clip off of this card?

On another subject, be aware that Seagate has a relatively serious firmware update that many of their larger drives require. I happen to own sixteen of them! They're the Barracuda 1 terabyte 7200.11 drives. You can go to the Seagate support site to find out if your drive falls into this group. Our DAT Optics external RAID is still running like a Leopard on crack (couldn't think of anything else...) but the Seagate firmware update is a bit of a bummer. That's why we backup and backup and backup...

Cheers - btw, if you guys have covered the SxS orphan topic a bunch of times, please just direct me to those posts. Thank very much! -s

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
Re: orphan files plus heads-up on Seagate drives
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:38:11 pm

Hi Stephen,

If I understand correctly, you are describing a "spanned clip" in which a single clip goes from one card to another. The way we've always approached this is first, but downloading the BPAV folders into a series of folders (disk01, disk02, disk03 and so forth) and then at the end of the day, combining them into a single BPAV folder using the EX-1 clip browser software.

When you do this, it automatically recombines spanned files.

Hope this helps.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: orphan files plus heads-up on Seagate drives
on Jan 30, 2009 at 10:28:48 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're doing but simply

ClipBrowser
Copy BPAV to folder on hard drive
Copy BPAV on next card to folder on hard drive

XDCAM Transfer
Add parent folder containing BPAV
Add 2nd parent folder containing 2nd BPAV
Select All
Import All

That's it. Anything else and you're making something that should very easy into something unnecessarily difficult

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]