FORUMS: list search recent posts

16 gig sandisk card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dano motley
16 gig sandisk card
on Jan 30, 2009 at 6:38:09 pm

hello,

does anyone know approxiamtley how much hd video you can fit on a 16 gig sandisk card? I am considering this one or the 32 gig sandisk (30mb transfer).

thanks in advance,

dano

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 16 gig sandisk card
on Jan 30, 2009 at 6:52:50 pm

16GB 58 minutes
32GB 116 minutes

I have two 32GB cards for nearly 4 hours of record time.

Return to posts index

dano motley
Re: 16 gig sandisk card-craig?
on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:03:58 am

i think i will go the way of the 32 gig. craig...what brand or model number of 32 gig card are you using?

dan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 1, 2009 at 4:31:46 am

Sandisk Ultra II 32GB SDHC
Sandisk Ultra II 32GB SDHC

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Feb 2, 2009 at 4:37:19 pm

Craig, the Kensington 7 in1 reader looks to be discontinued, but SanDisk makes something similar, and I even saw a Sonnet product that may accomplish the same thing. Do you know anything about the other two readers, or do you know of a source that still sells the Kensington reader?

Thanks -s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:43:28 pm

Why do you need the Kensington reader?
To use SDHC in EX series get MxR by e-films in Australia. It was tested by the manufacturer specifically for EX series.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:58:58 pm

Craig,

They said that the card is a little larger than the Sandisk. Does this affect the way it fits in the adaptor?
They also said that they recommend the Sandisk over the Transcend. Do you know why that is?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:18:26 pm

Which "they" and what card?
My personal preference is Sandisk over Transcend but Transcend has proven rock solid reliable and a tad less expensive. It would probably be what I'd use if I had to hand a client the camera master.

I've had one odd problem which is specific to Sandisk 32GB card. I have to try a format twice (always) to get it to format. Once formated it's rock solid too. Sandisk 16GB cards don't seem to have the double format issue.

Basically you'll find
Transcend 16GB around $30
Sandisk 16GB Ultra II around $40
Sandisk 32GB Ultra II around $150

I do so many long records that it was worth it for me to get two 32GB cards. I don't want to have to fumble around with card changes in some of the dark locations I shoot in.

Also keep in mind that Sandisk is one of the Ss in the SxS partnership so they are motivated to make their cards compatible. It's also why I think Sony is "wink, wink" not commenting on the issue of SDHC use. Sandisk is making money on the SDHC use and at the prices they become "almost" like HD archive (think XDCAM disk or HDCAM tape prices) so people will save cards in some cases resulting in increasing SDHC sales. That might be the prime reason to buy Sandisk. They are motivated to insure compatibility.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Feb 2, 2009 at 6:21:03 pm

I was referring to comments made by e-films regarding the Sandisk vs. Transcend cards.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:20:58 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "I was referring to comments made by e-films regarding the Sandisk vs. Transcend cards."

Then I'd second your question. Why Sandisk over Transcend. People have found both reliable. The only thing I can add (as I've done) is that maybe Sandisk is motivated because they are a Sony partner. Transcend certainly has a good reputation. Convergent Design I believe recommends their Compact Flash cards in their video flash card recorders.

Maybe those doing volume testing (as e-films might have done) have found more out of spec Transcend cards. That's just speculative.

Why not ask them and post back here?
And very much as you ask, maybe other SDHC EX users can add info to this discussion. I certainly know there are happy Transcend EX users though.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:28:34 pm

Incidently, most retailers are charging in the $60 range for the Sandisk 16-gig card. There is the one web site at $30 (BlueProton), which makes me suspicious. When you consider that difference in pricing, I guess that makes the Transcend a no-brainer.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 2, 2009 at 8:01:36 pm

$46 at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206812522&listingid=34763868&dcai...
$42 at emartbuy.com
http://www.emartbuy.com/products.php?prodid=250&memfindd=127
and $36.49 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-16GB-15MB-SDHC/dp/B0012W7HQK/ref=pd_bbs...
Which is BluProton as you note. I would be suspicious too as there are counterfeits out there. But you can get down into the 40s and I have seen them down to $40 during sales. I believe Dell was selling them very low but their price just went up to $50.

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Feb 2, 2009 at 8:37:28 pm

craig...quick follow up question...the transfer rate. i was looking at the 30 mbs. the one you use is 15 mbs (sandisk II)...is there any benefit is using the 30 mbs?

thanks,

dano

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: 16 gig sandisk card
on Jun 21, 2009 at 3:37:09 pm

Please add your camera info to the link

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/865340

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>