FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip in FCP?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Simcox
Multiclip in FCP?
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:20:27 am

I did a search and cannot come across anything. We just acquired 4 or 5 EX 1 cameras and are getting used to the workflow. We use the multi-cam feature in FCP quite a bit with SD footage, but seem to be having problems with EX 1 footage.
The footage is XDCAM EX 1080p30 (35Mb/s VBR). I set the sequence to match those settings or let FCP automatically match settings of the clip, but am required to render for play back. Just adding the footage to a sequence does not require render. How can I get this to work without requiring a render to playback the multi-clip?
I'm running FCP 6.0.5 on a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad Core, 4GB Ram. Footage is on an internal drive.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Multiclip in FCP?
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:54:24 am

Good question, I think you would have better luck asking this over on the Final Cut forum as there are much more editors hanging out there that should have your answer. I know it is possible and the editor of the production I shoot does it, I just can't get a hold of him right now.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:56:07 am

Make sure your playback is set to Unlimited RT and also Dynamic RT. That way FCP will try to play back everything without dropping frames. In order to do that FCP will lower the resolution in the playback window first and then start dropping frames if lowering the resolution still isn't enough.

[Chad Simcox] "Footage is on an internal drive."

Is this one (1) eSATA internal drive in one of the Mac Pro's 4 drive bays? Have you tried transfer rate test using something like the AJA Kona Systems Test app? It's free at the AJA web site and will tell you what the read/write speeds of the internal drive is.

- Don

Return to posts index

Éamon Little
on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:40:26 pm

Hi,

My question is similar but I have varied all the RT and Playback quality settings to no avail.

I'm just about to start an edit of a dance show shot on three Sony EX1 cameras at the 1080i50 setting. I have used multicam editing on five or six shows before, all shot on DV and it all went very smoothly. For this project, I upgraded to Final Cut Studio 2 and all applications are updated to the latest versions (FCP = v.6.0.5)

I am using a Dual 2.7GHz Power PC G5 with 4.5GB DDR SDRAM, OS 10.4.11 and the media is on an external drive connected by Firewire 800. I have an JVC broadcast monitor with SDI interface via BlackMagic Declink Extreme card.

For the current project, I have done the import to FCP using the XDCAM Transfer tool and have started to play with a six minute retake we did at the end of the shoot on the three cameras before deciding on my ultimate workflow. I dropped a multicam clip onto the timeline and allowed FCP to alter the sequence settings to match the footage. I am a bit shocked to find my machine (or is it my settings?) struggling to handle the footage. I have had to reduce playback video quality to Low and switch off external video altogether to prevent frames being dropped. And still, after I have set the sync to open in the viewer window, it won't playback the multiclip live but instead plays the active angle and then jumps back to multiclip viewing when playback is stopped. This clearly will not work for me. I do not like having to view playback quality at Low, especially on days when the client comes to sit at my shoulder.

Can anyone suggest a workflow which will not reduce the finished quality? I want to keep the project at a quality where I can master out to HD tape, even though at present the budget only allows for a playout to DigiBeta.

Thank you,

Éamon Little

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]