FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip Browser 2.0

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Cadieux
Clip Browser 2.0
on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:45:13 pm

I have a client that gave me some .mxf files to downconvert. I tried doing it in Clip Browser 2.0, but of course, the files still have to be in their original .mp4 format to do it. Why is that? If the Clip Browser software can convert an .mp4 file to a .mxf file, why can't it import an .mxf file and read that? If it can make it, it should be able to read it. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Any other work arounds at this point?

Thanks.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Clip Browser 2.0
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:46:59 pm

Missing some bits of info here.

Are you on Windows or Mac?
It's not clear from your post but I might guess Windows. You need to confirm it though.

What is the origin of the MXF files?
You imply they came from XDCAM EX since you mention "original MP4" but not all MXF originates from MP4. It can come from XDCAM disc based camera or even P2. You need to confirm it's origin.

Are you able to play the MXF files and see video and hear audio?
If so you may have a compression app that can handle the file. You're not limited to downconverting in ClipBrowser. I believe the ClipBrowser compression component was provided for by MainConcept but certainly other compression apps can handle this.

For Example Episode Pro, both Mac and Windows versions, can probably handle MXF XDCAM source files. There certainly is other compression software that can handle this too. I wouldn't be surprised if MainConcept's own compression software could handle this as well and possibly Pro Coder and Rhozet.

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:08:16 pm

Hello,

I edit on a PC using PPCS3. Originally, the files were shot on an EX1. They client had used Clip Browser to convert them to .mxf. He did not keep the original mp4 files in the BPAV folders, so .mxf is what I got. The files are read perfectly in PPCS3.

Again, my issue is, why can't Clip Browser import .mxf files that it made in the first place? Is there software out there that can effectively downconvert an .mxf file to an .avi file?

Thanks for your help.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:08:37 pm

[Aaron Cadieux] "Again, my issue is, why can't Clip Browser import .mxf files that it made in the first place?"
Because Sony didn't add it as a feature?
ClipBrowser doesn't read EX MOV files either.

[Aaron Cadieux] "s there software out there that can effectively downconvert an .mxf file to an .avi file? "

Any number of compressions apps can probably do this. I mentioned Episode Pro (you can download a free trial too to test) but there are others that can do this as well. You might give ProCoder a try as well.

[Aaron Cadieux] "He did not keep the original mp4 files in the BPAV folders,"
And my broken record will play the same tune again. ALWAYS BACKUP THE BPAV FOLDERS!

Obviously that's not your fault but I'd be tempted to give the DP (or whomever made this dump decision) several pieces of my mind (the ugly crusty parts especially). I'd say, amongst other things, that "you did NOT give me the camera masters" and you'd have every right to hand him/her the burden of converting the files.

On the Mac, Final Cut Pro (with appropriate free Sony XDCAM software installed) can take an EX MOV file and export it back to EX MP4. I'm not sure if anything on Windows can do the equivalent with EX MXF files. It would be good if Sony did (or has done?) the same think on Windows so an NLE can take the MXF back to an MP4 state.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:15:21 pm

"He did not keep the original mp4 files in the BPAV folders"
Addendum. The above implied he might have kept the mp4, just not the entire BPAV. If that's the case you might be in luck. ClipBrowser 2 can take those mp4 files and create new BPAV files. Of course you wouldn't even need to do that. Premiere can input the mp4 files.

I'm saying the above just in case you're overlooking the obvious, that he has the mp4, just not the BPAV that contained them.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Nel
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:38:22 pm

Hi, I have encountered a problem with XDCam Clipbrowser regarding exporting a clip as a H264 .mov file under the Ipod setting. The clips export fine, but on every clip roughly 30 seconds in the audio drops out. Has anyone else experienced this? It's kinda weird.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:48:38 pm

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem but ClipBrowser is now at version 2.6 so you should update.
Did you purchase the MainConcept codecs? You may need to check on updates for that as well.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Nel
on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:43:45 am

Thanks for the reply, since discovered that it was because I was using the Demo Version, it's a steep outlay for the Professional Version though. Do you know if you are limited to using the Mainconcept Plug-ins with XDCam ClipBrowser or is MPEG Streamclip an option?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:34:56 pm

If you want to use in ClipBrowser directly it's MainConcept. Of course you can use anything you want to compress files otherwise. Key is having the ability to use the .mp4 file in the compression app otherwise you should rewrap to MOV (Mac) or MXF (Windows).

In my case I have CalibratedQ EX MP4 plugin on Mac so I can use the EX MP4 files in Apple Compressor and Telestream Episode directly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]