FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV docs and EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Wise
TV docs and EX1
on Jan 23, 2009 at 7:13:33 pm

I am trying to convince a producer to switch from shooting an upcoming series of reality TV shows from the Red to the EX1. (Ease and speed of handling being the main reasons.) Can anyone name any shows currently on the tube shot on the EX1?

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bill Kunitz
Re: TV docs and EX1
on Jan 23, 2009 at 9:11:24 pm

Dunno of any shows, but did anyone notice that the contractor CNN used for arial shots of the inaguration was using either an EX1 or EX3? A couple of the early shots (around 5:30-6:00 am) actually showed the viewfinder image.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 23, 2009 at 9:39:41 pm

CNN is using scores of EX1s in Iraq. In fact you can even spot the tell tail vignetting in the early models as obviously CNN did not have the serviced.

There's a smattering of stories about people using EX as B camera for F900 shoots though.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 23, 2009 at 11:47:21 pm

"switch from shooting an upcoming series of reality TV shows from the Red to the EX1"

I used 3-EX3's for an Animal Planet series (Faithful Friends) back in September and it was a really good choice.

I would suggest the EX3 over the EX1 for a few reasons.

Having the ability to change lens is great, and having at least one Fujinon ACM -21 (2/3 lens adapter) together with a nice 2/3 ENG lens is great for your long lens needs, or if your budget permits go for the Digi-primes.

The EX3 also gets you matching timecode on each each.

I also used the RM-B150 remote to match the cameras. I had a DIT that shaded each camera connected to its own RM-B150 remote controller where he balanced all the cameras for each segment throught the day.

We also recorded directly to a Mac Pro in Pro Rez or to the new Convergent Design Flash XDR that now records 100 Mbps .mov and soon to MXF file extensions depending on your post needs. I didn't really need this but wanted to make the best possible image I could.

I couldn't imagine needing to shoot the Red system for a reality show but if the producer thinks there will be a long shelf life for this broadcast reality show then 4K may be the way to go.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:44:01 am

Next season of MTV's "The Real World" will be using the EX-1 in situations where the smaller form factor is a plus... like inside cars for example. Also, the "run and gun" nature of the show makes the EX-1 a good choice where a "low profile" is preferred, like in night clubs.

Our primary camera remains the XDCAM which records to a disc, but the EX-1 is a great addition to the production.

My personal opinion is that you would be NUTS to use RED for a reality show. Nuts! Great camera, but the media management is gonna kill you. Most reality shows generate MOUNTAINS of media, and @ 2K, you will need a HUGE SAN to hold it all. Even if you use the proxy workflow.... HUGE!

The EX-1 or EX-3 are great cameras, but you're going to have media management issues with them too!

What are your network deliverable contractual requirements. I guarantee they don't say, "Just give me a firewire drive" for all of the original media!!!! What's your "archive" plans? What kind of media can you lay the cards off on to? And... did you budget for that expense? It can easily come close to the
cost of tape stock.

I'd suggest that whomever is making this decision start doing some homework.

Mark

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jan 25, 2009 at 6:55:21 pm

There's a great description of shooting a feature on the EX1 by Adam Wilt: http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/maelstrom_production_par... Note his embrace of the DvRig Junior for all handheld work. Also note at the end of part 2 his camera settings.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:32:29 am

Thanks for the post michael.

We have been approached by our distributor to create HD content, and are looking at the EX3's for our workflow.

Am I correct in assuming your series was broadcast in HD?

Also...what flavour of HD did you deliver? 1080i, 1080p or 720?

Cheers

Brett

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]