FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex1 workflow when transfering to 35mm

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alvaro Perez de Madrid
ex1 workflow when transfering to 35mm
on Jan 23, 2009 at 10:21:30 am

Hi there

I'm about to shoot a short film with my ex1 and a letus, that will be transfered to 35mm once it's done.

I'm assuming the only thing that changes on my workflow will be getting the final cut, with post in it, to the lab on a TIFF sequence and have it transfered there right? Any tips on that? Am I forgetting something vital?

My other concern is that we are shooting on a very low key lighting situation, and that makes the director pretty nervous. I know the way to go would be doing tests beforehand but there's no budget for that.

Any thought or input would be welcome

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: ex1 workflow when transfering to 35mm
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:18:15 pm

[Alvaro Perez de Madrid] "My other concern is that we are shooting on a very low key lighting situation, and that makes the director pretty nervous. I know the way to go would be doing tests beforehand but there's no budget for that. "

If it was me I'd be doing lighting tests regardless of whether they've "budgeted" for this or not. What happens when you have to re-shoot a whole day of acting because you didn't get the exposure right the first time? A needless expense that would cost much more than some preliminary tests.

If you've decided to shoot your dark scenes without a lighting kit please reconsider. Even if the effect you want is very dark you still need to light your subjects to record them. Lighting is critical and if done properly it will still look like there were no lights used. If you don't have someone already get a lighting person because they will save your movie.

You might get faster responses to your transfer to film question if you posted it in the Cinematography forum.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 23, 2009 at 5:40:37 pm

Yeah this sounds like a lighting issue. Don't just turn lights off and call it 'low key lighting.' Proper low key lighting is getting a fully exposed shot and controlling shadows and lighting ratios to give the impression of darkness. And this is really critical if you're going out to film because underexposure on HD = grain which will be highly magnified going out to film and result in a murky looking print.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Alvaro Perez de Madrid
on Jan 23, 2009 at 6:58:32 pm

Well, I guess I didnt make myself clear. Of course I'm lighting it, I'm DP, even if not a very experienced one. We are working on that, having our subjects perfectly lit, while trying to achieve the dark mood, and a nice contrast. But there will probably be some underexposed areas, considering that, as we use the letus extreme, we lose some of the low light performance of the ex1, and again, doing night exteriors, we cannot afford huge or lots of HMI's. Anyway I will try the cinematographer's forum, and thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]