FORUMS: list search recent posts

really cheap express card reader that works...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baz Leffler
really cheap express card reader that works...
on Jan 23, 2009 at 6:36:40 am

When I first got my Sony Ex1 I found an 'under $10 USB 2 device' that works with Expresscard devices. To my disappointment when it arrived it didn't work with the SxS memory so I had to go and buy the separate SxS reader from Sony.

But now I have moved over to the Kensington AND MxR devices using both SanDisk and Transcend 16g memory and this little USB 2 device works excellent! Tick one more for us poor users...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Express-Card-ExpressCard-Reader-Adapter-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ290290098630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Laptop_Accessories?hash=item290290098630&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: really cheap express card reader that works...
on Jan 23, 2009 at 3:16:11 pm

I found this to be a really good deal. Transcend 16 gig SDHC with the plastic card case and a SDHC-USB reader.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208377
You can purchase the same Transcend card for $3 less but it is nice to have the small plastic case and reader for such a small price more. I made the miss take of only purchasing 2 of the combo when I ordered not knowing the lowest price didn't come with the case.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 24, 2009 at 5:25:01 am

Thanks Baz and Michael. If cheap works great.

I am just beginning to experiment with MxR. Have Dalkin Efilm34, but the SDHCs do not insert far enough into the adapter to allow closing compartment lid on Ex3. Dalkin has evidentally changed config.as they were supposed to work even in EX1 (the sdhc was nearly flush with the adapter end. Which Kensington MxR are you using

But my bigger concern is when using SDHC have you guys ran into any problem recording accross slots? or writing back via usb with any accross slot data integrity? Like for long format recording ex. 1080i 59.94 which is the way we will be using them?

Also I have tried with Sandisk Ultra II and no luck formatting 4 gb SDHC. It would not seem illogical that less than 8 gb would be a problem. So maybe the Dalkin.

I have spent hours researching this subject, and it seems there is much mis info about SDHC.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 24, 2009 at 5:42:44 am

[Gene Colburn] "Which Kensington MxR are you using"

Hi Gene - maybe you were a little confused by my post - what I meant was "Kensington AND MxR devices" being different units. I started with the kensington but went over to the MxR from e-films as they allow the door on my ex1 to close properly.

I was also using 2 x SanDisk 16g ultra II and now have got 2 x Transcend 16g memory which now allows me to shoot all day without having to do a data dump.

Also when I need to shoot some overcrank (love that word!) I just slip in 2 x SxS 8g ones I got with the camera - no sweat!

[Gene Colburn] "I have spent hours researching this subject, and it seems there is much mis info about SDHC."

I also did lots of research but trust me, my combo's work! Be cautious of copycat Sandisk and transcend stuff - others here have mentioned it so don't go 'all out cheap' cos you will get burned. I call it 'the Nigerian San-scam'!

Baz

Return to posts index

John Mortensen
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:31:59 pm

I am new to the EX-1 but I did get one of the MxR cards from Australia and am using a 8 Gig SanDisk Extreme III SD Card (Purchased at Circuit City's Blow Out). Happy to report no problems with this combination. Even shot some 720P 30 stuff overcranked to 60FPS.

John Mortensen
http://www.thinkatron.com
360-738-8882

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 25, 2009 at 6:37:25 pm

Thanks Gents,
For shedding more light on this subject.

Also Baz I got a kick out of your the App for pros thread.

Regards

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 26, 2009 at 11:18:45 pm

[Gene Colburn] "Also Baz I got a kick out of your the App for pros thread."

Hey Gene - I say it like it is... I was surprised I didn't get flamed!!!

Baz

Return to posts index

Manny Kivowitz
on May 2, 2009 at 9:40:21 pm

Thanks for posting, unfortunately the reader is no longer available on ebay anymore I'm sure I'll find others out there.

I just bought an ex3 and am happy to say that I'm having great results with Transcend's 16gb SDHC cards (class 6 I believe) and a really inexpensive Rosewill RC-610 express card adpater that cost 14.99 (less than MxR)at Newegg.com. The door completely closes with the cards inserted and I now have an additional 32gb of media for only $160. Fantastic. I haven't tried overcrankinig with them yet but will do that this week.

Manny Kivowitz
KSK:STUDIOS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]