FORUMS: list search recent posts

ISO on EX3 Sensor

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector Mata
ISO on EX3 Sensor
on Jan 21, 2009 at 8:56:23 pm

Hello,
I am trying to find out the real ISO of the Sony EX3 sensor. Have lighted a gray card in a controlled environment and match the f stop the camera shows with the lighmeter reading. The results show a ISO in between 500 and 640, which seems to be a little on the high side for these type of cameras. Has anyone perform a similar test? Would like to compare results.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Hector

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: ISO on EX3 Sensor
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:54:10 pm

This is for the EX1 but I suspect it's the same for the EX3. Adam Wilt performed the tests. I'm not sure if you know the name but . . . some of us are geeks, Adam is MR GEEK although I think he may have been knighted and is now SIR GEEK Adam Wilt write for various video trade publications doing lots of tech testing and reviews.

• ISO 400 in 1080p modes
• ISO 800 in 1080i modes
• ISO 500 in 720p modes.

[Hector Mata] "which seems to be a little on the high side for these type of cameras"

I'm not sure what you mean by "high" or "these type of cameras" The EX series is a very sensitive camera and I know of no other 1/2" CMOS type video camera. If you mean "smallish" video cameras, well, you're probably discovering that the EX is in a unique class which competes with some higher end cameras.

I believe Adam Wilt also tested and found 1000 lines resolution at 1080p which some say is in league with F900 camera.

Interlace was about 800 lines.
720p was about 700 lines.

He has somewhat detailed explanations complete with the screen shots of the test charts to verify this.

Return to posts index

Hector Mata
Re: ISO on EX3 Sensor
on Jun 24, 2009 at 11:56:00 pm

Sorry my late answer. THANKS!!! for the info. I have been working with the camera for quite sometime at 320 ISO with great results. I guess it also depends on the picture profiles that I have been changing...
ATB,
Hector

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]