FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using the SONY XDCAM Export to Create a DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Strodel
Using the SONY XDCAM Export to Create a DVD
on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:03:26 pm

We're trying to output a pre-master DVD from our FCP timeline. The project was totally done in XDCAM (by the time we learned Apple Pro Res would be better, it was too late).

Anyway, whenever I'm about to output for DVD, I always check the Cow and other resources online to make sure I'm using the best tools I can (at least in terms of software tools, that is).

I happened to discover a post on the Apple discussion board about using the Sony XDCAM Export option, that's under the "Export" menu in FCP.

Has anyone used this before to create DVD files? If so, which setting did you use?

Thanks,

Tom

24fps Productions
New York City

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Using the SONY XDCAM Export to Create a DVD
on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:31:38 pm

While I haven't used it for DVD output (I don't see any advantage over .mov since it's the same codec). Here's a link to a post with a video of the export feature.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/862336

Return to posts index

Tom Strodel
on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:47:16 pm

Hmmm - I looked at the link you sent. This seems more about creating an MP4 file.

My question has to do with creating an MPEG 2 file, one that will work with DVD Studio Pro.

The goal would be to avoid using Compressor. However, I am unclear as to the workflow using the SONY XDCAM Export function. Perhaps I'm missing something. Maybe I'll still need to run Compressor on the resulting exported file?

Tom

24fps Productions
New York City

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:13:57 pm

[Tom Strodel] "The goal would be to avoid using Compressor. However, I am unclear as to the workflow using the SONY XDCAM Export function. Perhaps I'm missing something. Maybe I'll still need to run Compressor on the resulting exported file?
"

Ahh, you're looking to Quicktime Export, not Sony Export. The export from Quicktime to MPEG2 is the same engine as Compressor except Compressor offers much greater control.

I believe the Quicktime Export to MPEG2 was removed by Apple some time back. It may be that there was no advantage and notable disadvantages. Big disadvantage for example is tying up FCP during what could be a long encode. I can't fathom a reason to avoid Compressor unless you want to avoid Apple's MPEG2 compression altogether and use Episode, Squeeze, BitVice, etc.

Return to posts index

Tom Strodel
on Jan 20, 2009 at 10:50:06 pm

No, actually I wanted to know if anyone has specific experience using the SONY XDCAM Export INSTEAD of using the QuickTime export, (or variations, i.e., compressor, bit vice, etc. ).

Take a look at the end of this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1826283&tstart=0

This person says he used this technique, but never fully explains how the workflow is done.

My idea for trying this has only to do with trying to get the best quality SD DVD from my source XDCAM timeline. I know all the other routines (like converting timeline to Apple Pro Res, or exporting a self-contained QuickTime movie, etc.). My thought was that perhaps this SONY Export function could somehow do a better job (as it's a tool made for the manipulation of XDCAM footage).

Wouldn't it stand to reason that SONY might just maybe have a solution that allows the MPEG compressed XDCAM files better transcoding to the MPEG-2 needed fr a DVD?

Tom

24fps Productions
New York City

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:04:07 pm

[Tom Strodel] "No, actually I wanted to know if anyone has specific experience using the SONY XDCAM Export INSTEAD of using the QuickTime export,"

In Final Cut Pro, Sony Export exports only to MP4 and MXF. That's why I pointed to the video. That's why I'm not sure what you're asking. Neither of which have anything directly to do with creating MPEG2 Elementary streams for DVD authoring.

[Tom Strodel] "My thought was that perhaps this SONY Export function could somehow do a better job (as it's a tool made for the manipulation of XDCAM footage). "
It has nothing to do with creating MPEG2 Elementary streams. It rewraps the sequence to MP4 instead of MOV OR it changes (encodes) the file to XDCAM HD MXF.

The movie I pointed to shows it all. That's all it does. There's no reason to think either would be "better" for making a DVD. You have to encode to MPEG2 Elementary Stream for DVD.

[Tom Strodel] "Wouldn't it stand to reason that SONY might just maybe have a solution that allows the MPEG compressed XDCAM files better transcoding to the MPEG-2 needed fr a DVD? "
Why? Maybe Sony Vegas has something but that has nothing to do with any Sony utility on the Mac or in Final Cut Pro. Once the EX codec is installed on the Mac as part of FCP 6.0.2 and up, that handles the EX .mov files.

Sony Clip Browser has encode features either implemented freely or in demo mode requiring addtional purchase from MainConcept but that's MainConcept doing the encode and it's not specific nor even available with FCP. Even that tool does NOT export to MPEG2 Elementary Stream.

Someone is misinforming you or you are mistaken about something specific from Sony for EX export to MPEG2 Elementary Stream.

Return to posts index

Tom Strodel
on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:13:43 pm

Okay, so I suppose I'm confused (not a big surprise).

However, I just did a test:

1. I exported a small clip from FCP using SONY XDCAM Export, and the "IMX NTSC 50mb/sec" setting.

2. I took the resulting MXF file, and opened it up in the XDCAM transfer utility, and "imported it," thereby creating a .mov file

3. I moved this .mov file into DVD studio pro, set it to autoplay my small clip, and built the DVD. Happened very quickly. (coincidentally, after I did this, I noticed that my source .mov file turned into TWO files: an m2v file, and an aiff file.

So, this appears to be working - however, perhaps the DVD that I could make with this process would be too high a bit rate? Not sure.

I certainly don't want to experiment with this client, so I was hoping someone may have tried this with success.

Tom

24fps Productions
New York City

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2009 at 11:43:32 pm

[Tom Strodel] "1. I exported a small clip from FCP using SONY XDCAM Export, and the "IMX NTSC 50mb/sec" setting. "
But I'd think there'd be better codecs to downconvert to standard def with. 8 Bit Uncompressed or Apple Pro Res.

[Tom Strodel] "2. I took the resulting MXF file, and opened it up in the XDCAM transfer utility, and "imported it," thereby creating a .mov file "
You wouldn't have to do this if you used the other two codecs I mentioned.

[Tom Strodel] "3. I moved this .mov file into DVD studio pro, set it to autoplay my small clip, and built the DVD. Happened very quickly. (coincidentally, after I did this, I noticed that my source .mov file turned into TWO files: an m2v file, and an aiff file."

Yes. It's creating an MPEG2 Elementary Stream. Compressor can do that and give you more settings to tweak if you like. AIFF is not the best choice for DVD audio as it uses many more bits than AC3 and that's going give you less bits for video quality.

[Tom Strodel] "So, this appears to be working"
"Working" doesn't make it a better workflow. It seems like a trip around the world to get to the other side of the street and well result in lower quality for various reasons.

One can take the EX .mov from FCP and drop it in to Compressor and get a Standard Def MPEG2 Elementary Stream and AC3 audio. Alternatively some will downconvert to Standard Def first.

Return to posts index

Tom Strodel
on Jan 21, 2009 at 5:56:47 am

I've been compressing video for several years now, including all versions of Compressor. My last two DVD releases were sourced on HD (HDV), edited in the HDV codec, then compressed for SD. Going directly from an HDV timeline to MPEG-2 always yielded terrible results (since you're basically re-compressing an already very compressed file). So for both prior videos, in FCP, we moved them to either 8-bit uncompressed, or DVCPRO HD (Apple Pro res hadn't been released yet).

The point is, I understand that I can do this in Compressor. My original post was to see if anyone had heard of this other (supposedly superior) way of outputting elementary streams, using the SONY XDCAM Export function.

The success I had with my simple test doesn't mean I think it is a better workflow (and besides, converting to a lossless codec, saving as a self-contained file, and then running through Compressor is as many steps as the test I did).

I know aiff sucks more bits, though that could be solved by exporting out the audio only via Compressor. Not a big deal.

So, let me ask once more - has anyone experimented successfully with the SONY XDCAM Export as a workflow towards creating DVD's?

Thank you,

Tom

24fps Productions
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]