FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX and importing

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Doggett
XDCAM EX and importing
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:29:01 pm

Hi

We have a substantial offline/online project coming in soon and nearly the whole series will be provided on XDCAM EX. We're having a thorough testing period before we say we're 100 percent happy!

So.... we've settled on a work flow. The drive comes over, we open the XDCAM EX software and export the files using the AAF option.
The MXF media goes straight into the relevant folder on our Editshare system and then we're left with a local AAF file which e simply import to get our clip in Avid. We're aware that this route will neccesitate going straight in at online and that's fine.

The one issue I've encountered is as follows. On the 'test' drive that they've sent us, the clips appear over 2 'disks'. The first 30 clips are on 'disk 1' and imported with no errors/questions (Well a couple, but reimporting sorted these fine.).

But there is a single clip on 'disk 2' and this is where the error arises. It's a 28 second clip, but when we export it as an AAF it always seems to combine with the last clip on 'disk 1'. I can see that the 2nd clip is just a continuation and I presume the camera automatically carries on recording onto 'disk 2' when it runs out of space.

When we try and import it it then creates a clip and bizarelly, a sequence, neither of which play and give a message something like;

'MXF error read range mapper'

I've tried not exporting the clip from disk 1 and seeing if importing this strange combined clip alone will work, but I get the same error....

Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks,

James

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: XDCAM EX and importing
on Jan 20, 2009 at 4:07:46 pm

You need to have both BPAV folders mounted in the transfer app and then import the smi clip that spans both volumes.

See manual for more detailed instructions.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

James Doggett
Re: XDCAM EX and importing
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:59:10 am

Thanks olof.

In the end, one of us realised that there was a simple option of "combine folders" in the clip browser that merged the two files together and then allowed us to export them as normal.

Hope that might prove useful for someone else!

Ta,

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]