EX1 workflow for EPK delivery from FCP to AVID

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Heslop
EX1 workflow for EPK delivery from FCP to AVID
on Jan 19, 2009 at 2:23:55 am

I'm about to shoot an EPK for broadcast on an EX1 using 35mbps,

then I will cut the EPK in FCP using the same codec,

my question is after I have made the cut can I export the edit as the same codec, then run it through XDCAM EX Clip Browser and change the foramt to MXF so I can deliver the edit on DVD ROM,

I ask this as my others options are to to transcode to HDV and play out to HDV tape, or otherwise spend money to have it played out to DigiBeta or HDCAM.

I would like to know if my workflow would work to get the edit from camera to FCP to AVID whilst staying the the original codec

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 workflow for EPK delivery from FCP to AVID
on Jan 19, 2009 at 4:08:26 pm

Why not just media manage to whatever format the Avid editor wants?

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Toby Heslop
on Jan 19, 2009 at 9:59:29 pm

So can you tell me what format I should media manage into so that the AVID editor can use it.

I was thinking MXF! Can this be done through FCP Media manager after I have made the cut

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:06:43 am

In FCP select your sequence and use File/Export/Sony XDCAM...

You will have the option to export to MXF XDCAM HD or MP4 XDCAM EX. I'd actually choose the latter.

You can then open up your MP4 in ClipBrowser and use File/Export/MXF for NLEs....

This will result in an MXF version of of your FCP XDCAM EX master edit.

You'll also have an XDCAM EX MP4 of your master edit so that it can be used as a source if you need to hand to other NLEs such as those who can handle XDCAM EX MP4 directly.

Make sure you've update to the most recent versions of everything as this is a new feature.
FCP 6.0.5
XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8
ClipBrowser 2.00.01

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:26:00 am

I personally wouldn't send MXF's- too easy to mess up. Call up or email the Avid editor to find out what version of Avid they're using and what QuickTime format they'd prefer. If they're on Mac for example you could send a ProRes HQ version and be all set.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:36:50 am

Noah, why not let the Avid facility make the decision and send them the XDCAM EX MP4 master.

The last thing one needs is one facility (Avid based no less) blaming another facility and FCP for a file conversion (even if wrongly so).

My workflow gives them the MP4 and the MXF as created by Sony software. You could even give them the .MOV if you'd like. I just wouldn't do a file conversion to another codec (as opposed to another wrapper) when that can be avoided.

Just to be clear, FCP now can export the XDCAM "native" MP4 as if it were from the camera. Sony ClipBrowser can treat that file as if it came from the camera and rewrap to MXF.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
FCP to XDCAM EX MP4
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:12:10 am

Here's how to get to XDCAM EX MP4 in FCP.

http://shorts.creativecow.net/film/final-cut-pro-timeline-to-xdcam-ex-mp4

Return to posts index

Toby Heslop
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:29:14 am

Thanks Guys,

The responses are great,

I think Craig's idea sounds safe as the files are news items being sent from Australia to LA so I need the end user/editor to be able to work with them without a revision to the format.

Return to posts index

Karin Jönsson
on Apr 28, 2009 at 6:02:01 am

Hi.
I tried this on my brand new Mac pro with the latest version och FCP 6.0.5,but I don´t get the option as choosing "as format" (XML or MP4). I also have XDCAM Transfer program installed. Maybe not the latest version of that - I have version 2.7.0...
Does anyone have a clue?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2009 at 3:51:39 pm

ClipBrowser 2.5
XDCAM Transfer 2.9

Always keep those up to date as they may include other things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]