FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 - good with the EX1?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 - good with the EX1?
on Jan 18, 2009 at 12:37:20 pm

Hi,

I am seriously thinking of buying a Sony EX1 and need to find a affordable steadicam for it. The Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 seems to offer the perfect solution - with a tripod as well - all for a mere $1000 - although I'm always a little skeptical of anything that has 'magic' in the title).

Has anyone had any experience of using this steadicam? The others I have looked at are the Merlin Pilot, but they are too expensive and the Merlin army and vest would not suitable as the EX1 weights a fair bit. Again the Glidecam 4000 is also far to expensive.

It will mostly be used for filming weddings, but some corporate filming too.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 - good with the EX1?
on Jan 18, 2009 at 7:01:01 pm

Personally, I believe that when doing weddings, you should be as inconspicous as possible. From the looks of this contraption, you are likely to become the focus of attention rather than the bride. I think you'll find that the more invisible you can be, the more referrals you'll get from wedding coordinators and catering managers.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 18, 2009 at 9:18:29 pm

[Chris Babbitt] " I think you'll find that the more invisible you can be, the more referrals you'll get from wedding coordinators and catering managers."

I couldn't agree more and most of the time this is true. However, there are some ethnic communities around here where I live that want camera gear to be as visible as possible and the more of it the better. It's a sign of wealth and status to have camera cranes and such stuff in full view of the audience. Certainly not my cup of tea but to each his own. Choose your market and go for it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jan 19, 2009 at 8:24:32 am

Hey, I'm thrilled to know that somewhere, it's a status symbol to have a videographer...period.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jan 19, 2009 at 3:44:16 pm

We use a Merlin with vest rig with our EX-1, and have achieved fantastic results with it. Naturally the hardest part about any of these stabilizers is the initial setup. Maybe that's why they called it the Merlin, because there's a bit of wizardry involved in finding the camera's sweet spot!

While the EX-1 is right at the ragged edge of what the rig is designed to handle, it does work exactly as we hoped.

Cf

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Jan 19, 2009 at 7:56:04 pm

I'm really pleased to hear you are getting good results using the Merlin. DId you use extra weights or a plate?

The Steadicam Pilot is very expensive and I am on a low budget. Plus can't find where to buy this equipment 2nd hand.

The EX1 is quite heavy I am told, so I think i will need to consider a shoulder mount.

I am also very pleased that someone out there things a videographer is a sign of status!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 19, 2009 at 9:07:53 pm

Some have suggested this as a lower post equivalent to the Pilot
http://indicam.com/index.php
which actually has a "Discreet Vest" option for those who don't want to draw attention to themselves.

Basically after participating in similar discussions on other forums nearly everyone concluded that you'd need a vest/arm solution for the EX1. Those who've tried without say that those hand held stabilizers as support may tire you within seconds.

I'm also looking at shoulder mounts and there's a lot to consider.
There's this approach
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_item_cat.php?catalogue_number=cv...
or this for example
http://www.vortexmedia.com/EX1DVD/VSB1.html

The problem is with the disappearance of trade shows and so many specialty products NOT carried by local VARs how the heck is one supposed to try. Since this is so much about personal style and needs it's impossible to buy based on a picture IMHO.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:46:07 pm

We were able to make do with the weights included in the kit, just barely. I would agree with Craig that you'd want a vest rig for a camera of this size and weight; in fact, even with the vest rig, you will feel the pain after a day of shooting a stabilizer rig of any sort! They just make you use all those little muscles you don't normally use. Owie.

Clint

Return to posts index

Lynne Valeri
on Mar 31, 2009 at 10:46:31 am

Hi Clint, Thought I had to sell my Merlin as I didn't think it was possible to balance w/ the EX1, but your post is great news. Would you mind sharing your settings? Much appreciated. Lynne V.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]