FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 - Standard Definition Issues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
EX1 - Standard Definition Issues
on Jan 17, 2009 at 3:50:48 pm

Hi,

I am seriously considering buying a EX1 - although I need to understand the technicalities of it not being about to record in standard definition.

It will be used mostly for filming wedding and some corporate video - the final out put of which must be able to be played on non-HD TV's - additionally, it will be exported for web - I am assuming that because of the quality and the fact that it uses SxS memory cards, it will greatly increase the size of files, making it unfeasible for the web?

If indeed these are problems to be seriously considered, then what would be the next best option, i.e. good in low light, minimal drop outs etc.

Also I will be using the Camera in all likelihood with the Merlin Steadicam and vest, so weight will need to be considered.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: EX1 - Standard Definition Issues
on Jan 17, 2009 at 4:34:29 pm

You can render out your footage in any format and you want. You can shoot in HD and deliver in letterboxed SD. You can render for the web at any data rate you need. I have been working with an EX1 and like it.

You definitely need some kind of shoulder mount though. It is good in low light and there are no dropouts that I have seen (I have seen digital dropout errors on P2 card footage).

I think you should try to rent one if you can. That way you will see what it can do. The footage looks great.

Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 - Standard Definition Issues
on Jan 17, 2009 at 8:22:21 pm

Yeah anything you shoot will have to be transcoded either to MPEG-2 for SD DVDs or to something like H.264 for web. You really wouldn't want a camera that shot web or DVD ready video anyway because it would be really low quality. As with anything if you start with a higher quality source than your delivery format your footage will wind up looking just that much better. And most modern NLEs like FCP, Avid or Premiere can easily support your editing in HD and delivering in other formats.

Also I'm not sure I'd go with the Merlin Vest. I'd rent one of those first. I think you'll find it's pretty impractical to wear one all day for a wedding and it adds little to the look.

-Noah

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]