FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing footage from a BPAV file

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Tyssen
Importing footage from a BPAV file
on Jan 16, 2009 at 4:53:10 pm

I've been successful using FCP log and transfer to ingest footage. someone suggested that I copy the BPAV file from the cards as backup copies. I've tried this but can't seem to figure out how to create usable footage in FCP. I've exported from Sony ClipBrowser but only in low res dv. Is there a way to maintain the quality I shot in using the BPAV file and Sony Clip Browser?

Alternatively is there a better way to back up my footage. I"m willing to spend some money on a good storage solution but I"m not sure what the best way to proceed is. Multiple hard drives? A RAID configuration?

If anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it greatly

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Importing footage from a BPAV file
on Jan 16, 2009 at 5:36:00 pm

It sounds like you need to check out the Sony XDCAM Transfer application. It allows you to export to multiple formats, as well as send to FCP. From your post I'm not sure if you're using it already.

Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:29:05 pm

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Creative COW. Think of a BPAV folder as the new video tape. With it you can use it on both Windows and Mac platforms that are capable of working with EX footage. When you import from a BPAV folder using FCP's log and transfer what you get can only be used by FCP and Quicktime Player.

Archiving your BPAV folders is a good practice to get into and the fastest way to do this is to copy the BPAV folder to a hard drive. There are a couple of ways to do this:

• 1. Connect your EX to your computer via USB. When the card(s) appear on the desktop open one and drag the BPAV folder to another attached device (like an external hard drive) to make an exact copy of the BPAV folder.
  • 2. The smarter way is to use Sony's Clip Browser 2.0 to copy the BPAV folder to somewhere else rather than just dragging and dropping in the Finder. The reason? Clip Browser will make sure there are no errors during the process. This is called "CRC Error Checking".

Put each copied BPAV folder into a separate parent folder that you can name whatever you want. Usually the name will hint at when and where the footage was shot. Never change the actual name of any BPAV folder otherwise Sony's Clip Browser or the Transfer Tool software will not see it.

To import video clips from any copied/archived BPAV folder simply navigate to it within the programs you usually use just as if the folder was still on the card.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 16, 2009 at 11:12:36 pm

Also if you have the latest version of FCP along with the XDCAM plugin you can go right from BPAV to QuickTime via the Log and Transfer window.

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bob Fleck
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:40:08 pm

I am jumping onto your thread since you are merely millimeters away from my issue. I am trying to import selected clips from the clip browser, that have been saved to a hard drive, to my project media. No problem, except that it will only allow me to do one at a time and I have 20 hours of material. Ouch! This will take FOREVER. When I select multiple clips and hit "Open", I get a new folder with only one of the clips in it and have to press "Open" once more for it to go into project media. I want to multiple select and have the collection of clips, from one BPAV, go all at once. I shot on a EX1R and am using Vegas 9. I'd appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]