FORUMS: list search recent posts

kata cc 197/195 bag for EX-3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
kata cc 197/195 bag for EX-3
on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:38:36 am

I have been looking for a carry on bag for my EX-3 for a while now and narrowed it down to the Kata CC 197 or 195. Anyone have experience with the EX-3 and either of these bags?

Also I have the trolley from a Kata TCCT. Will this trolley fit either of these bags? BTW the TCCT is a bit narrow for the EX-3 and I worry about protecting the view finder on the EX-3.

Thanks guys

Ronnie Martin
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: kata cc 197/195 bag for EX-3
on Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58:24 am

Ronnie I have a Kata case for my EX1 and it is the 193. I first had it for the Z1 camera and the EX1 just fits, together with charger, mics etc but it is tight. The EX3 is a slightly fatter camera around the rear (aren't we all) so might not fit. The numbers that you mention are probably bigger but if so they may not qualify for airline cabin carry on. Mine just manages. Rules differ airport to airport and it is a real pain. The cases are good, well made and pretty flexible.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:07:07 pm

Thanks Michael; What I am looking for is probably not possible. I want a bag that will protect the viewfinder on the EX-3 and also be able to carry on the airlines in the US.
Some where in my search I saw the Kata 197 and I thought that it had a trolley. I have a Kata TCCT and it does not protect the view finder as I would like and is a little narrow for the EX-3. However, it does have a removable trolley so that you can roll the bag rather than carry it. I looked on http://www.bhphotovideo.com an there was not mention of the Trolley.

Thanks
Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Simon Wyndham
on Jan 10, 2009 at 6:17:28 pm

I have the 195 for my EX3. The 197 is only about a cm wider. The 195 gives the camera a snug fit, but if you are using the VF Gadgets tripod plate and/or a matte box you may want to go for the 197. But apart from minor differences in size they are pretty much the same bag.

The 195 doesn't come with a trolley, but it can be used with one I presume as it has a sort of thick strap thing on it labelled "trolley". I don't do a lot of flying so i couldn't comment on its carry on capability.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jan 10, 2009 at 7:00:35 pm

Thanks Simon: I am about to pull the trigger on the 197 later today from B&H. I will ask them about the trolley insert. It would make it much easier going through the airport rather than carrying the bag on my shoulder.

Take care

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jan 11, 2009 at 6:48:26 am

The CC-197 will definately accept the Trolly. The bag will run vertically which is good. The 197 is significantly longer than the 195 allowing you a lot more room for accessories, batteries, mics, windsocks, mattboxes, rails, etc. It is a bit higher as well.

The one concern some have who have the 197 is getting it onto airplanes as a carry-on. Most who have it have NOT had a problem. But the size of the bag will alarm you when you first see it.

I have the 197 and like it a lot because of the extra room as well as the protective wire cage inside it.

If you poke around the other forums on relating to the EX3 you will find a lot of posts on people's likes and dislikes of the 195 and 197 Kata bag

Return to posts index

Jeremy Wilker
on Jan 13, 2009 at 9:25:01 pm

I just got the Kata 197 bag for the EX3 and it is the softbag that (at this point) works best for me after looking at the 195 (a hair too small) and the Portabraces (meh.) I'm coming from a custom-built hard case so I'm getting over the lack of individual compartments for everything, but the 197 is doing the trick just fine. I might custom build a tray and/or some additional subdividers to make it work a bit better since the shape of the EX3 creates wasted space in most any case that I've personally seen. I recommend the Kata 197.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:30:54 pm

Hello Guys I just ran up on a hard case for the ex-1. It is a LC-Eex1AME by Sony. I found it on page 18 of the Sony brochure
EXCAMEX.

Hopefully, they will make a similar one for the EX-3. However, I could not find any reference to it on the Sony web page. There is a hard case for the EX-3 on the web site but it appears rather large. I have one of those for a DSR500 and it takes two men and a gorilla to carry it. However, I am sure that it protects the Ex-3.

Ronnie
http://www.dirtracignvideo.com

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]