FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shutter speed & crisp action (non-blurring)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Furia
Shutter speed & crisp action (non-blurring)
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:44:07 am

Hey guys,

After doing some searching on the forum, I don't think I've found the answer to my specific question yet.

I'm just starting shooting on an EX3 and finding it difficult to achieve that "super-realistic", crisp edges look that I was able to achieve easily on a Canon XH-A1. Think "Saving Private Ryan" (or any of the modern war movies, where there is very little blurring during fast action scenes).

On the XH-A1 I previously used, I achieved this look simply by adjusting the Shutter Speed to at least 1/250. With the EX3, it's almost as if changing the Shutter Speed has no effect. It's like it's in permanent auto shutter speed or something? What am I missing?

Thx.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Shutter speed & crisp action (non-blurring)
on Jan 7, 2009 at 5:08:08 am

Hi Peter-

I haven't as of yet gotten my hands on the EX3, but in my experence, I find the shutter speed has to be set to at least 1/500, and 1/1000, to get that effect. Have you tried the high settings? If it doesn't appear to make any change, then I would guess that the Auto Shutter is somehow still on. Info on using the shutter begins on page 56 of the manual.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2009 at 7:00:56 pm

Peter, it really depends on how much motion is in your shots as well as shutter speed. Note David's answer.

You might try by starting at the highest possible shutter speed and if that's over done, work your way backwards.

The faster the action (greater the difference in position from frame to frame) is on camera the more obvious the effect will be at lower shutter speeds.

Return to posts index

Peter Furia
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:24:12 pm

David & Craig,

Thanks for the replies. I just figured it out - low and behold, there's a SHUTTER switch just below the lens on the front of the camera body that overrides the Shutter settings in the camera menu. When it's set to "OFF", you're stuck in Auto-Shutter mode. Setting it to "ON" engages manual shutter speed! Problem solved - crisp, super realistic feeling movement. Just need to have enough light to compensate for the fast shutter speed of course.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:36:55 pm

[Peter Furia] "low and behold, there's a SHUTTER switch just below the lens on the front of the camera body that overrides the Shutter settings in the camera menu. When it's set to "OFF", you're stuck in Auto-Shutter mode."

But the camera would display that it's in Auto-Shutter mode on the LCD. That's why it's important to include ALL the details when you post. Had you mentioned that you weren't seeing the shutter speed displayed we might hit on the answer.

Return to posts index

Peter Furia
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:52:46 pm

Yeah, it actually doesn't say "Auto-Shutter" on the LCD, but rather says "Shutter: Off". Being new to the camera, I didn't realize "off" meant "auto" and that "off" would change to "1/250" etc when the Shutter switch was enabled.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2009 at 11:14:58 pm

[Peter Furia] "Yeah, it actually doesn't say "Auto-Shutter" on the LCD, but rather says "Shutter: Off"."

See what happens when I'm not looking at the camera.

Well Shutter OFF would have been a big clue since it might indicate the shutter isn't on. Actually off is not AUTO at all. OFF means it's shooting at a shutter speed equal to the frame rate. In other words 30p would be at 1/30. 24p would be at 1/24 for example.

[Peter Furia] "When it's set to "OFF", you're stuck in Auto-Shutter mode."

In fact from OFF mode you can change it to AUTO but you can not select an shutter speed on the LCD (but you can still make selection in the internal menu). So if you have that switch to off you have the choice of OFF or AUTO.

That's why describing what you actually see is important. Seeing AUTO in the display may yield different results than seeing OFF yet either are possible if the switch is off.

Didn't you get suspicious when you weren't seeing a shutter speed on the LCD?
That would have been my first question. How come I change the shutter speed and don't see it displayed. People new to the camera do bump into that. Other Sony cameras work like that too . . . but not all, so it can even change within the same manufacturer.

I think I (and maybe others) assumed you were seeing the shutter speed so didn't know "were to go" with an answer.

BTW I can make similar mistakes as a troubleshooter. I recently posted a message elsewhere with a page reference in the manual. The person reading the post couldn't find it. Alas I was looking in the EX1 manual and they were looking in the EX3 manual. Now I know to include which manual when I make a reference. I've even found difference between Paper and PDF manual.

Return to posts index

Peter Furia
on Jan 8, 2009 at 12:08:03 am

Yeah that makes sense now.

[Craig Seeman] "Didn't you get suspicious when you weren't seeing a shutter speed on the LCD?
That would have been my first question. How come I change the shutter speed and don't see it displayed."

What threw me off was that I was seeing the number change in the menu as I selected different speeds, and just assumed that it wasn't shown once you exit the menu (and that "Shutter: Off" referred to something else entirely).

Appreciate the help - these forums are a great resource.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 8, 2009 at 12:47:01 am

[Peter Furia] "What threw me off was that I was seeing the number change in the menu as I selected different speeds, and just assumed that it wasn't shown once you exit the menu (and that "Shutter: Off" referred to something else entirely).
"

That's certainly one peculiarity of the EX. For one thing the ability to change the shutter will become disable on the LCD menu access but it'll still be there on the internal menu.

There's a few other functions that don't become disabled when one would think they should. One example I think is Zebra settings. Zebra 1 is user controllable but Zebra 1 is fixed at 100. It can appear, given the way the internal menu works, that you're changing Zebra 2's setting. Basically if you change to Zebra 2 it doesn't disable the Zebra setting control.

BTW it's good to use the front LCD menu for many things rather than going rooting through the internal menu. You'll often be able to change what you want to more quickly and it'll give you a more obvious idea of what's enabled or not.

Return to posts index

Peter James
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:15:42 pm

thx for the tips - definitely more efficient.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 15, 2009 at 9:29:51 am

I also read here that turning the detail off can help this problem as well. By turning it off he actually means -25 and not 0.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 15, 2009 at 7:52:57 pm

[Elijah Lynn] "I also read here that turning the detail off can help this problem as well. By turning it off he actually means -25 and not 0. "

I don't recommend trying to solve excessive edge detail simply by turning the setting off because by doing so you're also turning off other settings that can be beneficial to your picture adjustments. You can still dial down the edge detail settings until they're basically not doing anything but still leave aperture correction and crispening active in case you want have those settings available. You can read the explanation here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/862796

- Don

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Feb 15, 2009 at 8:02:37 pm

Hey Don,

Thanks a bunch for that link! I am getting a EX1 soon and that is very good info!

Cheers,

Elijah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 15, 2009 at 8:04:47 pm

You're welcome.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]