FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD EX3 to DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Orozco
HD EX3 to DVD
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:24:00 pm

Playing with the EX3 and reading many posts about DVD-downconvert from HD, I try several renders to check quality for SD-DVDs.
The clip was shoot in 1080 30p with the following render options in Vegas 8.0c (no FX plugins added) once importing mxf file from clip browser 2 (see attached image):
1- HD1080p timeline
2- NTSC DV wide timeline with nested HD project
3- NTSC DV wide timeline with 1080p clip
4- clip downconverted with clip browser 2 (DV-AVI) on NTSC DV wide

The results from the 3 first options are almost the same (1st photo), all 4 renders to std.(no changes) DVD arch NTSC-wide template.
Photos taken from DVD played on powerDVD (capture option).
The differences are evident; working with the HD clip (on either 3 options) result on a more sharper DVD image BUT with "jagged" edges artifacts on lines... on the other side, downconverting the same HD clip (with clip browser 2) gives a more "fuzzy" image (without the "jagged" problem).
Testing on a std. TV set also reveals (altough with less details) the problems... I will check the same DVD on a HDTV later...

hdrenders.jpg

Any comment or recomendation on how to avoid the artifacts from HD or obtaining the best quality for DVDs with the EX3 would be greatly apreciated.

All the best.

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
Re: HD EX3 to DVD
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:30:19 am

Downres with a Lanczos scaler. Problems magically disappear.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: HD EX3 to DVD
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:12:05 pm

Don't know the scaler suggested by Perrone but I find that BitVice does a very good downscale whilst encoding the MPEG 2 file. No jagged edges but panning down a rock face or shrubbery does produce some noise - this seems unavoidable with the MPEG 2 codec.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
Re: HD EX3 to DVD ... practical solution in Vegas !!
on Jan 7, 2009 at 3:49:25 pm

After some tests I find a practical solution to minimize (almost avoid) the "jagged edges" problem of my clip ..... maybe some other EX users want to try.

Just render the mxf file (1080p) in Vegas to mpeg2 DVD arch NTSC-wide template, BUT make sure you render at BEST seetings (the same I always use when working with hi-res photos) and PROGRESSIVE scan in the custom settings.... I will make more testing rendering the HD clip on a NTSC-DVwide template, but for me this is a very good solution using only Vegas....

Kind regards

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]