FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM codec redux

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Fleming
XDCAM codec redux
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:06:35 pm

Here is a followup question from all of the emails last week:

The client has now given me FTP access to all of the files in question, but now how do I navigate through the file structures so that I can use clip browser to make Quicktimes?

Here are the files on the FTP site in descending order:

BPAV

(opens to) CLPR (dir)
cueup.xml
mediapro.xml
TAKR (dir)-no contents in this folder

CLPR (opens to) acutal files names

File names open to the .MP4 (the movie), but then also include a .SMI, .PPN, .XML and .BIM

I'm sure I probably need all of these files in some way(?) but how in the world to I save and structure these files?

TIA, and thanks a million for all of your help last week!

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: XDCAM codec redux
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:22:30 pm

You will need the entire BPAV folder to work with the XD Cam Transfer program. You should never need to go beyond the BPAV folder for any reason, leave these other folders and files inside it alone. When you make quicktime .mov using the XD Cam Transfer program you direct it to the parent folder containing the BPAV folder, then all of the files can be previewed. SMI clips are spanned clips that are larger than 4 gigs.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dave Fleming
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:34:54 pm

Thanks Michael, I've switched to using an FTP client for download which will let me pull the BPAV folder instead of the individual files.

Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 5, 2009 at 10:59:22 pm

Create a parent folder for each BPAV folder. Upload. Client can then use free Sony Clip Browser to view after downloading.

BPAV is always the safest for giving to client.
You can rewrap to MXF but the the client must be able to handle the MXF
You can rewrap to MOV but the client must be able to handle EX codec in MOV (requires FCP 6.0.2 and up or CalibratedQ).

Do spend time learning workflow or you're going to back yourself or your client into a bad situation.

You can not use ClipBrowser to rewrap to MOV for example. You must use XDCAM Transfer for that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]