FORUMS: list search recent posts

archive SxS files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kerstein
archive SxS files
on Jan 5, 2009 at 7:52:43 pm

I have a Pioneer BDR -202 internal burner on my 2 X 3.2 Ghz quad core Intel Mac.. Can I use my blue ray burner to archive EX files just as data storage? Is this a storage medium/work flow that anyone is using? We are getting a little nervous about all these external of the shelf drives holding mission critical footage.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: archive SxS files
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:46:15 pm

I know that people are using Blu-Ray discs for archiving media files but Doug Jensen in the Vortex Media EX1 Workshop double DVD explains that he uses regular DVD discs and stand alone hard drives. I am about to go the external drive route with a Drobo drive which can be set up with data protection to avoid the problem that you mention. After all we have to put our camera files somewhere pending editing as the expensive SxS cards have to be used again pretty quickly.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: archive SxS files
on Jan 5, 2009 at 10:54:37 pm

I'm hearing theoretical longevity for BluRay tests are close to 100 years. I understand Delkin has archival media that tests to 200 years.

At some point in the near future Sony will offer a firmware upgrade for the PDW-U1 XDCAM drive to allow it to be used as a data file store. XDCAM disc is considered good long term storage given the case.

I do not trust hard drives in general but double back up to optical disc should be a good fail safe. Drobo certainly looks to be a good back up system but you'll have to keep buying more (and keeping them active) as you shoot more material.

With the MxR solution you can buy a Transcend 16GB SDHC card for about $30. While not cheap it's certainly not worse than HDCAM tape and it may even start to approach the price of XDCAM discs in some months.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]